IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

I don’t think Scott and Semenyo leaving is as far off, or as potentially disastrous as the consensus seems to suggest.

25m for the two of them could reset the club. How long can we go on being a hugely imbalanced, square pegs in round holes type team relying on a couple of players to keep us slightly competitive? Perhaps this might not be the window to do it, but we are not moving in a cleanly upward trajectory anyway.

We need to take unpopular decisions to move forward and that probably means selling players at a stage most fans believe to be too early. Imagine if we had taken the high offers for Maynard before our finances plummeted, or more recently the 8m for HNM, we would be far more comfortable right now. 

Imo, particularly given his contract situation, Semenyo must be sold this window if there’s an offer above 10m, and Scott early in the summer. We need to take a more level headed approach to players leaving given our situation. How can we ever expect to ‘build a team around them’ when we are picking exclusively from the free agent market? We will simply go on as we have done for the past two seasons. It’s time for the sales of our valuable assets and a refresh. 

• Like 3

Alex Scott has huge talent to go along with his huge potential, but , in my opinion, he has 2 things that will take him to the very top. He has a great footballing brain and a level head. He has gone on record to say he isn't in a rush to get to the PL and his development is best served playing regular first team football at this level.

If he signs for a team like Bournemouth he would get a few months in the Premier league but could easily be back in the Championship next season. But by staying here a move to someone like Spurs is not only more feasible but he could step up to their first team in the same way Dele Alli did which in turn could likewise open the door to a full international cap.

As a club we are in need of a cash injection but my preference would be to sell Semenyo along with any unwanted fringe players we can sell/let go to free up cash from the wage bill. The bottom line will be what Alex Scott wants to do. A big move now or a potential bigger move in the summer. Whatever happens I'll follow his career with fondness.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Nige spoke about the speculation in the media about our younger players and said he's aware of the interest in these players but confirmed no bids have been made. 

Suggests to me that clubs have declared an interest with us but as of yet not submitted a bid. 

You should change your name to Nostradamus.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm thinking we'll be freeing up wages on fringe players. Massengo, talk of Towler, maybe DaSilva, a few others. If anyone is sold I think it might be Semenyo. 

Money used on a CB and a couple loans. That's my feeling. I'll probably get proved wrong now though :laugh:

I hope you're right but how does that square with Pearson saying we need to bring deals forward from the summer and do some business now if possible, the tone of which suggested more than a few ins and outs? 

Not to mention the fact that teams around us are already busy strengthening. 

Personally, I'm not sure a CB and a couple of loans keeps our head above water. I am a pessimist by nature, though. 40+ years of BCFC does that to you. 

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Putting aside my focus on finance he isn't yet ready for PL IMO. Could do with another season and a half in the Championship, it's a big jump and he is only 1.5 seasons in.

18 month loan back if he goes to a big club could suit all parties, finances permitting of course. You sometimes see lengthy loan backs.

An 18 month loan would be bizarre. I kind of get it within the Premier league (especially a young keeper).  18 months is a long long time.

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

If we lose Scott now we would be a bit stuffed.  I think Benerous would be his natural successor and he's crooked at the moment.  

I like Benarous very much but not sure he's Scott's "natural successor".

Scott is nuts - a 6, 8, 10 or wing back (our best one!). 

Eamonn's good but he can't do all that. Looking forward to having him back though - we're much the better for having him around. 

22 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Don't be surprised to see a deal in the window but with Scotty here till the end of the season.  You don't buy a player that age expecting him to step up immediately. 

Depends on the club buying as I highly doubt Bournemouth would spend 12mil on a player and send him out on loan

24 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I hope you're right but how does that square with Pearson saying we need to bring deals forward from the summer and do some business now if possible, the tone of which suggested more than a few ins and outs? 

Personally, I'm not sure a CB and a couple of loans keeps our head above water. I am a pessimist by nature, though. 40+ years of BCFC does that to you. 

As you know, football is an ever changing scenario. 

Imo NP wants to keep hold of our best players, maybe one of the ' big ones' going....and free up by releasing fringe players. 

A great deal depends on other teams imo, regardless of how quick we'd like to do business.

What I hope doesn't happen, is a team comes in late in the window with a silly offer for someone and we sell them without any cover.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Depends on the club buying as I highly doubt Bournemouth would spend 12mil on a player and send him out on loan

Let's get past this 12 million. He will not leave Bristol City for anywhere near 12 million. Pearson himself today laughed that off. 

Alex Scott is going to the very top of the game. Future England player. 12 million would be an insult. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I think it all depends on who leaves, at the moment there is at least a possibility we could lose up to half a dozen players this month;

Scott & Semenyo because they are attracting interest, then HNM because he’s running his contract down, plus Bentley, Dasilva, Martin & Klose.

Some of those (say Martin if Semenyo stayed) don’t need replacing but others definitely would.

We have to assume Tinnion taking over recruitment means it is more professional & focussed & we must have the fabled 3 options for every position, which if the 2 assets went would mean to an extent we could forget our FFP worries & buy.

So much of this is a moving picture though & before the month stated I would have said @spudski was spot on, a permanent CB & a loan or two.

Don’t think so at present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Let's get past this 12 million. He will not leave Bristol City for anywhere near 12 million. Pearson himself today laughed that off. 

Alex Scott is going to the very top of the game. Future England player. 12 million would be an insult. 

Just watched the press conference. What he actually said was that HE would not accept £12m BUT it would not be his decision regarding an acceptable fee.

I think it is a difficult one to gauge, for a number of reasons. I think the idea of a loan back would only come into play if a top 10 PL came in for him and were happy to secure his services from the summer onwards and had no intention or need to play this season.Alternatively, they might want to start working with him in training straight away.

In any case I think it’s unlikely he will move this window and if I were advising him I would suggest the summer would be a better time .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Just watched the press conference. What he actually said was that HE would not accept £12m BUT it would not be his decision regarding an acceptable fee.

Just a way of avoiding committing to a valuation publicly. I don't believe for a moment that he and Gould haven't agreed on a valuation but he isn't going to tell the media what it is.

Edited by chinapig

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Just a way of avoiding committing to a valuation publicly. I don't believe for a moment that he and Gould haven't agreed on a valuation but he isn't going to tell the media what it is.

Absolutely agree. Pearson and Gould have what appears to be a very good working relationship. I very much doubt any player leaves here without Pearson giving it the ok. And if Pearson isn't happy with the fee, he won't leave. 

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not saying he's not worth more but clubs like Bournemouth will not outlay figure like 12million and just send the player back, maybe a bigger club would