IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Business is business I guess, but I can’t be the only one depressed that we’ve basically become a feeder club for a bankrolled outfit no bigger than Gillingham or Wycombe?

I think we all had much higher hopes for Alex than this, but hopefully he gets his big move one day, rather than disappearing into a black hole in their little matchbox of a ground.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

100% pure waffle isn’t it. 

We’re only a few years into this new cycle of either producing our own players or recruiting younger players and helping them develop. We as fans have got to trust the process, one player leaves (for decent money….) and along comes an opportunity for someone else.

Nice description of a “selling club “

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Where have I said he's bad going forward?

I Said we need more goals from midfield, Scott scored 2 from midfield last season,

I never said he's poor going forward, I said he's better defensively and when he goes that's what we are going to miss the most,

Not once have I said he's not good going forward

I can’t agree. 

We are going to miss his technical ability a lot more than what he offers us defensively.  I am shocked you think so. 

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Apparently that is the height of a traditional London double decker bus. Modern London double decker buses are 20 cms taller. Hopefully Bournemouth when they're forming their stack of £20 notes make the mistake of building it 32.25 (modern) London double decker buses high which means we will obtain an extra 6.45m high stack of £20 notes. 

I don't mind if this post is deleted by the mods so as not to alert Bournemouth about this potential error. Obviously if West Ham buy him they will know all too well the sizes of traditional and modern London double decker buses.

s-l1200.webp.8989b114ea67da80c8bb7a2d511067de.webp

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Where have I said he's bad going forward?

I Said we need more goals from midfield, Scott scored 2 from midfield last season,

I never said he's poor going forward, I said he's better defensively and when he goes that's what we are going to miss the most,

Not once have I said he's not good going forward

I realised you might have been on about mccrorie... But if youre saying scott is better defensively than going forward then you need to go to specsavers... 

25 minutes ago, Jose said:

I can’t agree. 

We are going to miss his technical ability a lot more than what he offers us defensively.  I am shocked you think so. 

For all his undoubted technical ability the stats of 1 league goal and a handful of assists is hardly impressive and irreplaceable if City get someone in midfield who scores goals the current Alex Scott not the potential Alex Scott won't be missed too much.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

For all his undoubted technical ability the stats of 1 league goal and a handful of assists is hardly impressive and irreplaceable if City get someone in midfield who scores goals the current Alex Scott not the potential Alex Scott won't be missed too much.

I agree the stats are not impressive and he would be the first to tell you they should be better.
However no one can tell me his defensive ability is what we are going to miss more.

It’s his ability to pick the ball off the back four and get us moving. His ability to run at players and play the killer ball. ( He did that plenty of times last season, his fault the chances were missed?)

Edited by Jose
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Business is business I guess, but I can’t be the only one depressed that we’ve basically become a feeder club for a bankrolled outfit no bigger than Gillingham or Wycombe?

I think we all had much higher hopes for Alex than this, but hopefully he gets his big move one day, rather than disappearing into a black hole in their little matchbox of a ground.

At the end of the day football is a business. Clubs sell players all the time and if the same club look at us and say "yeah we'll pay you what you want" we aren't going to be stupid and say "Nah we sold you X so why would we sell you Y?"

Could Alex go to a bigger club? Yes he could. But the fact is Bournemouth are a premier league team and he is unproven at that level so there's an element of risk.

If Alex performs like we all know he can I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on next summer to a bigger club.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

I don’t think you just go out and buy a player who can dictate the play in the same way that Scott can.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Arrogance of some of these PL fans albeit online is nauseating. Seeing a few saying we'll need to lower our price as the window gets closer as Scott may not too be too happy, so it is us who should give ground on our prize asset.

Of course I get it, haggling and it could happen but some of these takes? Nauseating, as I say.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

West Ham have given Southampton 24 hours to respond to their latest 30 million pound final offer for Ward-Prowse which is expected to be rejected. 

I might be putting 2+2 together and getting 5 but maybe they are aware that Bournemouth are close and may move for Scott if JWP is a no go? Hence them giving Southampton a deadline.

Would rather him go to them. Would be the perfect move for him imo.

And I am ****ing sick of Bournemouth poaching our talent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

It is totally wrong to get hung up on the simple stats such as assists and goals. There are players that will obviously fulfil that role in a team and become favourites but without the link up play and dogged tenacity of others chances are not created or scored. 
Teams often miss the players most that don’t sit high on the assist/goals list when they leave. It is so frustrating to see the Ballon D’or award going to the same type of player each year due to the simplistic view of football or bias towards the more exciting stats. More praise needed for the all rounders - Kante, Makélélé and……  Scott ?

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Jose said:

I can’t agree. 

Where have I said we won't miss him?,

I've said he's better defensively then attacking

All his stats back that up, for city and for England,

Edited by Monkeh

48 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I don’t think you just go out and buy a player who can dictate the play in the same way that Scott can.

I think really  he doesn't  affect games consistently  enough probably due to his age for his departure  to be lamented that much as I said if City can find someone( maybe it will be Jason Knight) who scores goals from midfield something the team has lacked for a long time we'll not miss him very much,and £ 25 million is exceptional business for the club.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Where have I said we won't miss him?,

I've said he's better defensively then attacking

All his stats back that up, for city and for England,

Just asking….which stats in particular make you reach that conclusion?

Edited by Davefevs

19 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

£100m will get them a seat at the table 

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

4 seats?

A sofa and a side chair?

???

Those SCS sales are not all they're cracked up to be then!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

To use a cricketing analogy, Ben Stokes’ stats are ordinary if you just look at the numbers.   However anyone that  watches him just knows what a world class player he is.  Not saying Scott is world class - far from it atm - but he is premier league class and will be international class given the right wind behind him in the next year or so. Stats don’t always tell the true story of a player. He will be massively missed at the Gate.  

• Like 6

I know it maybe a rehash of a post from earlier but thinking about it further, do we give credence to the claim that Wolves agreed Personal Terms with Scott? That Leister does seem to think so.

More to the point, would we have given permission in such a scenario? Yea I know rules v reality but if not we should consider reporting.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Arrogance of some of these PL fans albeit online is nauseating. Seeing a few saying we'll need to lower our price as the window gets closer as Scott may not too be too happy, so it is us who should give ground on our prize asset.

Of course I get it, haggling and it could happen but some of these takes? Nauseating, as I say.

I have not looked at Wolves' or Bournemouths' forums, nor do I intend to, but I daresay that, just as on this forum, there are many contributors who post with little or no knowledge of the subject matter, many of whom are probably schoolchildren.

I wouldn't take these sort of posts too much to heart. 

Illegitimi non carborundum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know it maybe a rehash of a post from earlier but thinking about it further, do we give credence to the claim that Wolves agreed Personal Terms with Scott? That Leister does seem to think so.

More to the point, would we have given permission in such a scenario? Yea I know rules v reality but if not we should consider reporting.

Something Pearson said stuck out for me. 

As we all know, these days players will agree contracts before a club even makes a bid. Or at the very least give the buying a club a good indication they would want to join. 

Pearson said something along the lines of "When a club meets our valuation then that will give them the opportunity to speak with Alex" which to me, reading between the lines suggests that Alex may need a little bit of convincing by Bournemouth for him to join them. I think he will because its more money and playing in the premier league, but I don't think he's 100% sold on the idea of rejoining Bournemouth. 

I could be totally wrong but what Pearson said did stick out to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We don’t know!

It’s possible.

It’s also possible that agents have done the talking.

It’s just gonna be one of those transfer stories where there’s a lot of grey between the black and white written from either side of the fence.

Great topic of debate, admittedly.

• Like 1