IGNORED

Yeovil Town

Robin101

They’re not finished yet, but results in the National League tonight mean Yeovil slip into the relegation places and they’re in dreadful form. 

Wasn’t so long ago they were a division above us, and competing against us regularly. Could be having local derbies against Taunton and Bath next year. Although, some might say that’s their natural level for most of their history. 

Spare also a thought for Scunthorpe Utd who definitely do look finished and relegated to the NL North. Another side who we competed with not so very long ago - beating us to the 2007 League 1 title.

• Like 2

Just now, Robin101 said:

They’re not finished yet, but results in the National League tonight mean Yeovil slip into the relegation places and they’re in dreadful form. 

Wasn’t so long ago they were a division above us, and competing against us regularly. Could be having local derbies against Taunton and Bath next year. Although, some might say that’s their natural level for most of their history. 

Spare also a thought for Scunthorpe Utd who definitely do look finished and relegated to the NL North. Another side who we competed with not so very long ago - beating us to the 2007 League 1 title.

I think their brief spell in the Championship under GJ was possibly the worst thing that could have happened to them.Sometimes that brief step up,sets you back years in the long run.A real shame for Yeovil. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

I think their brief spell in the Championship under GJ was possibly the worst thing that could have happened to them.Sometimes that brief step up,sets you back years in the long run.A real shame for Yeovil. 

Completely disagree, football should be about reaching for the stars. Yeovil in the Championship was the equivalent of us being in the Champions League. Would you really say, I wish we hadn't played Real Madrid, Ajax and Inter Milan at Ashton Gate, I think that has set us back somewhat!!! ? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Completely disagree, football should be about reaching for the stars. Yeovil in the Championship was the equivalent of us being in the Champions League. Would you really say, I wish we hadn't played Real Madrid, Ajax and Inter Milan at Ashton Gate, I think that has set us back somewhat!!! ? 

Depends on how far and for how long it sets you back.For me personally, seeing what has happened to some club's would be too much of a price to pay if it happened to City.I am probably in the minority but I would be content to see us being a strong, consistent Championship club. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I guess we could use Portsmouth as an example… would you swap our recent history with them? Premier League, FA cup winners, good run in Europe but then league 2 and very nearly bankruptcy. For me it’s all about the rollercoaster ride of supporting a club so I would probably swap that for our last decade or so as a mediocre championship club. I can see why some wouldn’t though.

As for Yeovil? I don’t really have any sympathy for them to be honest. They were spoiled rotten for years with all those promotions and cup runs. Now they’re experiencing the coming around part. I believe they are about to be taken over, so I’m sure they can look forward to better times.

• Confused 2

Went to see Yeovil vs Bromley last weekend. Yeovil were dreadful. A couple of decent players and a number of new signings that hadn't even trained together, let alone played together. Defence look like they'd never met, going forward had no energy and carried no threat. Bromley should have been 3 up after 15 minutes.

Mark Cooper said afterwards in his interview that the new owner was buying the players he wanted (the owner that is).

Sadly, relegation looking very likely - a pity for the very pleasant fans I was sat with.

(On the bright side £5 in, good pasty and Bromley had a player called Shuwumni, which brought back the odd memory).

9 hours ago, Slacker said:

Getting to the Championship wasn't the issue, it was the short termist planning of GJ with his transfers that probably set them back a few years after they got Relegated. Lots of loan signings and lots of free transfers. Should have kept the squad they had when they went up and come down with the same players who got them there.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Went to see Yeovil vs Bromley last weekend. Yeovil were dreadful. A couple of decent players and a number of new signings that hadn't even trained together, let alone played together. Defence look like they'd never met, going forward had no energy and carried no threat. Bromley should have been 3 up after 15 minutes.

Mark Cooper said afterwards in his interview that the new owner was buying the players he wanted (the owner that is).

Sadly, relegation looking very likely - a pity for the very pleasant fans I was sat with.

(On the bright side £5 in, good pasty and Bromley had a player called Shuwumni, which brought back the odd memory).

Out of interest, did you pick up on Kellen Fisher (#35) the Bromley RB / RWB?  Getting a bit of attention from PL Scouts allegedly.

8 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I guess we could use Portsmouth as an example… would you swap our recent history with them? Premier League, FA cup winners, good run in Europe but then league 2 and very nearly bankruptcy. For me it’s all about the rollercoaster ride of supporting a club so I would probably swap that for our last decade or so as a mediocre championship club. I can see why some wouldn’t though.

As for Yeovil? I don’t really have any sympathy for them to be honest. They were spoiled rotten for years with all those promotions and cup runs. Now they’re experiencing the coming around part. I believe they are about to be taken over, so I’m sure they can look forward to better times.

I agree with the Pompey example…. there’s no rollercoaster here. It’s pretty much 40 years of competing at the second or third level and hard to see that changing any time soon. 

8 hours ago, Slacker said:

Depends on how far and for how long it sets you back.For me personally, seeing what has happened to some club's would be too much of a price to pay if it happened to City.I am probably in the minority but I would be content to see us being a strong, consistent Championship club. 

For ever?

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Be careful what you wish for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65042578

Personally I would rather support a well run steady Championship club.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, did you pick up on Kellen Fisher (#35) the Bromley RB / RWB?  Getting a bit of attention from PL Scouts allegedly.

Yes, he looked good - always positioned well and never beaten. Always difficult to tell - he was up against an opponent who had reasonable skills but always came inside before running into traffic. Not once was he tested by someone trying to get down the line. (Shumumni himself was that side as well and he looked better than National League standard).

Enjoyed watching Bromley but Yeovil weren't much of a test.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Slacker said:

you could be in the minority. I'm getting a bit old now but always remember the days when we were in the first division. Those of us oldies that remember that era will never forget them. A strong consistent championship club I think we are now with great performers since the Christmas period. I for one will not be content until we play in the Prem league. All on OTIB and the Bristol public deserve it.

• Like 1

I've posted elsewhere on here about the demise of my club so won't repeat myself..... much!

Started following them in 1972 and even when I moved up to Bristol in 1999, still went back every other week to watch them. Worked for the club for three years, wrote for the programme for 12 seasons, produced two books (one partly, one my own work) and commentated for the visually impaired for four seasons. Last straw for me was when we got thumped by Stockport in the FA Cup in 2018/19 season (having struggled in the League)  and instead of doing what most well run clubs would do & fire the manager, we gave him a 2 year extension to his contract as a very misplaced sign of loyalty. I decided then that nearly two decades of traipsing down the A37 every fortnight was enough and I stopped going at the end of the season. Since then, I've been back for three games, all of which I've covered for OPTA. Won't be going again - had a free Saturday last weekend and ended up going to Paulton instead, met some mates for a pint and thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon. Back home in just over 25 minutes too, even in my jalopy! 

Where did it all go wrong? The Championship season was a dream, right enough. Think we were only relegated by 7 or 8 points in the end but we couldn't ever hold on to a lead, reckon we lost 30+ points after being ahead in games. The first 30 years I followed Yeovil, they got 2 promotions and 2 relegations, the promotions taking them back to their original levels. I disagree slightly with @Robin101regarding our natural level being where we are heading now (NL South); I'd say that for the vast majority of our history, we've been in the highest non-league division with two drops from there + of course a 15 year period in the Football League. We were coping in League One when Terry Skiverton and Russell Slade were managers, eight years there without too many problems. The loan signings were a massive help but we can't do that any more, we are fishing in a different pool these days.

@2015 - agree, it would have been nice to keep that team together but it was almost impossible. Two players from the playoff winning team are smashing it in the Premier League now (Ayling & Burn) and others like Joe Edwards, Marek Stech and Paddy Madden were always likely to leave once we started skidding downhill. For me, we can manage in League Two but the amount of stupid decisions taken by one board after another has cost us more than anything. Darren Way was kept on against all the common sense advice in the world and by the time he left, we were on a one way ticket to the National League which we tried to stop by appointing someone that no one had ever heard of to try to arrest the slide. Which he didn't. 

• Like 15

• Admin

Stockport are a good example recently of how fortunes can change.

We were playing them in the league not that long ago, they had a torrid run of seasons and got relegated from the National League and also into the National League North.

They eventually got promoted out of both of those leagues and are now in the play offs in League 2 

11 hours ago, Slacker said:

I don't get this tbh. Surely you want to reach as high as you can. Look at the likes of Brighton and Brentford on the verge of European football. Ask them if they would still prefer playing Rotherham and Blackpool.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Getting to the Championship wasn't the issue, it was the short termist planning of GJ with his transfers that probably set them back a few years after they got Relegated. Lots of loan signings and lots of free transfers. Should have kept the squad they had when they went up and come down with the same players who got them there.

Yes, I saw or read one of their players saying that the old strength of Yeovil was that all the players used to live in the town.

This isn't some sepia-tinged memory but from the time when GJ / LJ were there.

You're not going to beat that for team spirit and the town getting behind the club, hence the overachieving and cup runs.

If the owners however treat it as just another club then that is what it will become.

15 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, I saw or read one of their players saying that the old strength of Yeovil was that all the players used to live in the town.

This isn't some sepia-tinged memory but from the time when GJ / LJ were there.

You're not going to beat that for team spirit and the town getting behind the club, hence the overachieving and cup runs.

If the owners however treat it as just another club then that is what it will become.

Spot on, Eddie. GJ had a rule that everyone lived as close to the club as possible. And, with no disrespect, there isn't much that goes on in Yeovil so the lads would be in each other's pockets and a great team spirit was quickly formed. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't get this tbh. Surely you want to reach as high as you can. Look at the likes of Brighton and Brentford on the verge of European football. Ask them if they would still prefer playing Rotherham and Blackpool.

I would have entirely agreed prior to the launch of the Premier League but these days money has ruined the top echelons of football.

I would be ecstatic if we were promoted to the Premiership but I don't think I'd enjoy being there.

I haven't actually enjoyed being in the Championship when we were, under Ashton, signing big name Charlies from abroad.

However FFP constraints meaning that we have been bringing youth players through, albeit of necessity, has made it much more like the club I first started supporting.

• Like 3

I’ve got a lot of time for them as Somerset’s major club & believe the catchment area is easily big enough to support a league side.

Sadly ownership has been their issue for some while & having heard a few things about the new regime I fear it is going to get even worse for them, rather than better.

GJ’s achievement in getting them to the Championship was an incredible one, far greater for me than us reaching the playoff final, for some to suggest that was the beginning of their problems is truly incredible, because he didn’t spend any money in doing so & there was no mess to clear up afterwards, they were simply outgunned by much bigger clubs with budgets many multiples of times greater.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Stockport are a good example recently of how fortunes can change.

We were playing them in the league not that long ago, they had a torrid run of seasons and got relegated from the National League and also into the National League North.

They eventually got promoted out of both of those leagues and are now in the play offs in League 2 

Luton are an even better example. Dropped out of the league, promoted back around the time we got promoted to this division. They’ve now gone past us, knocking on the door of the play-offs, new stadium on the way. I think their ride would have been much more fun to watch than ours… in fact in our 40+ years outside the top flight they’ve played in all of the top 5 divisions and won the League Cup. 
So long as the club doesn’t go out of business what is wrong with having a go and having plenty of ups and downs along the way. Many of us will rock up regardless and enjoy it. 
If you look at the middle chunk of the championship table it’s depressing…. Tons of us have been stuck there for years, where’s the fun/entertainment in that? 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

... forgot to add he was very good going forward as well and he's got a decent pass in him. As I've already said Bromley should have been 3 up in the first 15 minutes. All the trouble was coming down the right, including the set up for the early goal. 

Highlights (but bear on mind Yeovil have also got a player called Fisher to confuse things):

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Plus they have to put up with Grimsby being back in the League. 

And...live in a Scunthorpe.