IGNORED

Bemmy pubs

I was told the same person owns them all. Must be a massive strain, with energy bills through the roof and selling beer at £3:25 a pint. We have used the Albert over the last year or so and Popped in the Black Cat a few times. I did try the London Inn Last home game but they were closed, but it was early kick off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I was told the same person owns them all. Must be a massive strain, with energy bills through the roof and selling beer at £3:25 a pint. We have used the Albert over the last year or so and Popped in the Black Cat a few times. I did try the London Inn Last home game but they were closed, but it was early kick off.

I was chatting to an owner of a pub in Bedminster last Saturday. He was telling me about the ludicrous rates he is being charged. It’s no surprise these pubs are closing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Four pubs now closed in the Bedminster area

The Tap and Barrel, in Dean Lane,

The London Inn pub, in Cannon Street,

The Albert Lounge, and

The Black Cat, both in West Street

Those boozers are classic South Bristol, all four within a stones throw of each other. Disappointing but surprising they've lasted so long to be honest. All likely to become flats now, so expect the usual increase in parking and traffic issues...

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I went to the London Inn before a game a few years ago and was shocked at its deterioration from the boozer it had once been. It was pure grot and the beer was crap as well. I'm not in the slightest bit surprised it's closed. 

It’s a very old pub with a lot of history, hopefully someone takes it on and makes a go of it unfortunately I think the owner will make a packet by turning them all into flats

• Like 1

Just now, harrys said:

It’s a very old pub with a lot of history, hopefully someone takes it on and makes a go of it unfortunately I think the owner will make a packet by turning them all into flats

I hope so too. I popped in there the first time with my grandfather and it was a fine building back then. 

The Star in Pill closed recently and I don't think the King's head is going to be far behind, I have heard rumours the Duke is in trouble as well, I'm afraid the golden age of pubs is behind us, I was lucky enough to have lived through the good times of the 70s and 80s I know there is the internet for meeting people but there is nothing better than meeting like-minded people in your local boozer I shudder to think how many of the pubs I used to go to are now no longer with us.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

The Star in Pill closed recently and I don't think the King's head is going to be far behind, I have heard rumours the Duke is in trouble as well, I'm afraid the golden age of pubs is behind us, I was lucky enough to have lived through the good times of the 70s and 80s I know there is the internet for meeting people but there is nothing better than meeting like-minded people in your local boozer I shudder to think how many of the pubs I used to go to are now no longer with us.  

Was in the duke last Friday shutting in November. Also heard kings head is shutting too. Luckily living in Portishead we still have plenty of choice 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Masonic and Spoons will be buzzing. 

Only been in some of those a few times, but can’t lie found them pretty tense and unwelcoming unless you were in there every day

Really? I rarely went in the Black Cat but have been in the London Inn and Tap and Barrel countless times with various different mates and never once heard anyone describe them as being tense or made to feel unwelcome. Brilliant pubs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Really? I rarely went in the Black Cat but have been in the London Inn and Tap and Barrel countless times with various different mates and never once heard anyone describe them as being tense or made to feel unwelcome. Brilliant pubs.

Mate of mine went in tap and barrel just after lockdown I think, card machine had broken or something so was cash only. Had no cash on him and only said to him after they pulled his pint. Refused to let him leave to go and get cash, had to phone a mate to go down and bring him £3.50!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Knowle West lost all their pubs years ago. That killed off plenty of community spirit…

We now have to pay full price for our meat and cheese ?

Not from Knowle west but remember playing football that side of town one Sunday morning in the 90s , so a few of us popped into The inns of court on the way back to our neck of the woods one Sunday lunch time ,

after the initial you could here a pin drop when we walked in ( luckily about 4 out of the 5 of us were city fans so even though we weren’t regulars our faces were known by a few . 
I have never seen so much poultry in one place in all my life , it was like an abbaitoir, there must of been about 10 raffles .

remember 1 bloke after winning letting off a massive cheer and shouting yes the kids can eat he collected his prize poultry finished his pint and gleefully exited the premises , proper south Bristol I thought ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, TomF said:

The era of going down the pub in the evening is more of a distant memory -  when you think of what Pills already lost - the anchor has come and gone a few times lately, the railway inn, the star has changed hands a few times and although but further away the Rudgleigh.  Memories of being locked in the duke and Star a few times.  I think I’d lose it if the kings arms went tho, that would be a tragedy. 

Martin Hart must of run a fair few over years ? He ran the Kings Arms twice - earlier 80s and then back early 90s?  Then Juke around 2001 and finally the Head..? 

It's definitely not looking good for the head I popped in there about three weeks ago on a Saturday night at 8 o clock there was one yes one person in there I asked for a large brandy and was told we don't have any brandy not exactly a pub with no beer but pretty close I give it weeks, not months.  

2 hours ago, Posset red said:

Was in the duke last Friday shutting in November. Also heard kings head is shutting too. Luckily living in Portishead we still have plenty of choice 

I love the Sirens Calling, great cider and ales at good prices in what should be a tourist spot, quite how the Ship, The Plough or even the Phoenix Bar keep going I am not sure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

@WolfOfWestStreet did an impromptu karaoke gig down Tap And Barrel a few months ago and he did a beautiful rendition of No Woman, No Cry... Wasn't a dry eye in the house.

Thats bollocks David ... 

It was Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle 

Do remember you getting motorboated by some old soak however 

• Haha 2