IGNORED

Reading at home match thread

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Yes just realised it's Bristol at home tonight. In this rain it could be a poor pitch tomorrow 

Spare a thought for the ground staff, looks like an all nighter without the alcohol.

36 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

21,000 tickets sold for this game now. I don’t quite understand how or why given we’ve got nothing to play for, sat in midtable, in fairly poor form, with long injury list - and unremarkable opposition!

Genuinely quite puzzled by it ?‍♂️

I think a lot of us found out during lockdown that the actual football is only part of the day out.

Getting out of the house, or town where you live in some of our cases, and meeting up with mates for food and drinks is a huge part of going to football for many.

Plus we only had one home game in March and there’s only 3 home games left after tomorrow and with Middlesbrough being Easter Monday teatime live on Sky I think a few will be missing for that.

On the football front, with not much to play for and a big injury list it’s a great chance to see how the potential stars of the future get on.

Bring it on.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

21,000 tickets sold for this game now. I don’t quite understand how or why given we’ve got nothing to play for, sat in midtable, in fairly poor form, with long injury list - and unremarkable opposition!

The 13,000 season tickets will count regardless of wether or not they attend. Reading will also bring a few. I think another factor is the international break meaning City’s last home match was 3 weeks ago. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Our average this season is about 20000 isn’t it? So why the surprise? The outliers will be where away fans are particularly low or high. Reading are close and bringing plenty so 20000+ was always likely.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Our average this season is about 20000 isn’t it? So why the surprise? The outliers will be where away fans are particularly low or high. Reading are close and bringing plenty so 20000+ was always likely.

Yep, attendances have been nicely into the twenty thousands almost without exception this season.  Midweek games more like 17/18k.  But average is over 20k (20,008).

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, attendances have been nicely into the twenty thousands almost without exception this season.  Midweek games more like 17/18k.  But average is over 20k (20,008).

Should be a good walk up contingent as most Saturday football will be postponed. Attendances have  been very good this year.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I thought it would be more than that. Went to get mine Wednesday and the cheapest available with 2 together was central dolman. Cost me £49 for an adult and 15yo and we are both membership holders ?

• Sad 1

I'm here for the rugby. A couple of 'before' photos. If I remember I will try to take some 'after' photos too.

I have every faith in the groundstaff that the pitch will be perfect for us tomorrow. I've already seen a few moans on Facebook etc 

IMG_20230331_194215.jpg

IMG_20230331_194209.jpg

IMG_20230331_194204.jpg

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Couldn’t agree more, 13K season tickets? 3K from Reading? We’ve sold circa 5K to members and general sale? I stand to be corrected on away sales and STs but still a remarkable figure given the circumstances, and the cost of living crises etc.

1600 from Reading.

4 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Couldn’t agree more, 13K season tickets? 3K from Reading? We’ve sold circa 5K to members and general sale? I stand to be corrected on away sales and STs but still a remarkable figure given the circumstances, and the cost of living crises etc.

Reading had only sold 1,600 as of yesterday and so likely to be over 21,000 City there tomorrow

I’m not surprised - hopefully more and more City fans really starting to see and believe City are going places under Nige and his team…..

COYRs

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

Slightly selfish post.......attending tomorrow with my lad for his first trip from Devon up to AG (8th birthday present......poor boy).

Unfortunately, I've had a foot op recently and can't walk much. Is there a reliable bus service from Temple Meads or am I looking at a Taxi?

...... and he really wanted to see Alex Scott ?

Thanks

Get a taxi

Reliable buses in Bristol do not exist 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RedM said:

I'm here for the rugby. A couple of 'before' photos. If I remember I will try to take some 'after' photos too.

I have every faith in the groundstaff that the pitch will be perfect for us tomorrow. I've already seen a few moans on Facebook etc 

IMG_20230331_194215.jpg

IMG_20230331_194209.jpg

IMG_20230331_194204.jpg

Can't understand why rugby is played on the pitch on a Friday evening when the oval ball doesn’t need a flat pitch but football which does need a flat pitch is played the next day. Why not switch the games? 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Can't understand why rugby is played on the pitch on a Friday evening when the oval ball doesn’t need a flat pitch but football which does need a flat pitch is played the next day. Why not switch the games? 

Tonight was a cup game, playing a French side. I believe if we had gone through, but we lost, then we would have to play next Friday. Even one day less recovery time is a big difference. Also Clarmont would have to agree the change, as would Reading. I don't think this would have been possible. 

The pitch at the end of the game looked 'played on' but certainly wasn't badly rutted or damaged. I look the photos only minutes from the end.  

IMG_20230331_214558.jpg

IMG_20230331_214555.jpg

IMG_20230331_214550.jpg

• Thanks 4
5 hours ago, Leveller said:

I’ve already listed the reasons why I’m surprised! It’s a bit above average despite our season having petered out - I would have expected attendances to be dwindling.

You’re right though, it’s the away following that’s making the biggest difference.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Our home crowds are absolutely elite.

Of the top 15 clubs with the highest average attendances in the C'ship, every single one of them have been in the Premier League. 

Apart from us, sitting pretty in 7th. Over 20k average despite no top flight football for just the 43 years.

Hugely impressive. 

Impressive indeed, and also indicative of what this club could be with a period of sustained success.

• Like 1

Another terrible press conference.  You have to feel sorry for Nige having to face 30 minutes of pathetic questioning from what are presumably professional journalists.   I mean, surely they could prepare in advance and come up with some serious questions.   NP will engage with good questions if ever asked and his insights when he does are revealing, but here at times he just looks in disbelief.   Some of them aren't even questions, just journalists stating the blooming obvious.

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Of the top 15 clubs with the highest average attendances in the C'ship, every single one of them have been in the Premier League. 

Apart from us, sitting pretty in 7th. Over 20k average despite no top flight football for just the 43 years.

Hugely impressive. 

Average attendances are fun to look at (I keep record myself) but they are a dodgy ststistic. Not only do they include all ST holders regardless of whether they attend or not, but also away fans which are such a moveable feast dependent on club size, number of tickets allocated, form, time of game, distance to travel etc. If you removed away support from out attendances then City's avarage is between 18-19,000. Still good but not over 20k.

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Hugely impressive. 

I totally agree KiTR but let's not get like the r@#£rs fans creaming ourselves over support numbers.

At least ours are fact rather than fictitious I suppose.

That said, in 8 years, our support has shot up to a new level.