IGNORED

Stoke City away match thread

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Strongly disagree. A team with top 6 ambitions needs to get to a GD of about +15. In any manner possible. Concede 35 and score 50 and you'll likely be up there. Not much room for a 15-20 goal striker in a team like that.

You've not mentioned 20 goal strikers, but just to look at an extreme position - the last two times we've had a striker score 20+ we've finished well down the table (2016/17 Tammy, 2021/22 Weimann).

What you state is basically correct...........but if you look back over the past few seasons (I haven't got time to go back too far)  promoted sides have all tended to have top scorers with high figures.. eg Solanke,,Mitrovic, Pukki  etc.  So the goal difference aspect is perfectly correct, but if you look into the stats of the promoted sides going back, they all have a goalscorer with a reasonable total within their ranks, of course it is by no means a necessity, but it does appear   to be the case.  And of course, as your example of Weimann shows, it is by no means any kind of guarantee.......but I couldn' t find a Championship promoted side from the past few seasons who did not contain a player with less than 17 goals.  Of course there must be a side who shared the goals around amongst the team, and were tight at the back....but it appears to be quite a rarity.

Edited by maxjak
1 hour ago, 22A said:

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/308273/stoke-city-bristol?page=13

The players looked like they were unsure of what their role was after the subs.

Getting worried about being able to make the play-offs now.

Baffling second half collapse and a very strange, slow reaction by the manager to what was a very simple tactical change from Bristol.

Playoffs? I'll have some of whatever they're on :laugh:

• Haha 2

Maybe the best away end I’ve been in, almost got killed when we equalised ? and fwiw, been to a few pubs since with my dad and the Stoke locals are a delight. Had some good chats about the game and the history of our clubs. Funny really, we despised each other between 3 and 5 ?

• Like 4
  • Robin 2

On BBC report, says 4th official gave AW goal as offside, also seen it said on the Stoke forum, also saying it was onside, anyone know any more about this?

From BBC 

Weimann had a goal ruled out for Bristol City for being offside early in the second half by the fourth official before Zak Vyner's header levelled the score.

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

On BBC report, says 4th official gave AW goal as offside, also seen it said on the Stoke forum, also saying it was onside, anyone know any more about this?

From BBC 

Weimann had a goal ruled out for Bristol City for being offside early in the second half by the fourth official before Zak Vyner's header levelled the score.

Can the fourth official even do that? How would he know, he`s on the half way line FFS?

7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

From BBC 

It clearly wasn't the fourth official, as it was immediately ruled offside, and the assistant had his flag straight up. Just a typo in the article I'd say... 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Playoffs? I'll have some of whatever they're on :laugh:

Goes to show kneejerk reactions are prevalent at every club...especially in the Championship?  Last week's genius, becomes this week's waste of time?   It's human nature i guess, but it is a shame people cannot be more tolerant?   But then again i am probably guilty too......although i am trying to be more analytical, rather than continuing to spout dumb remarks.........Ha!.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

me

⬆️

he has been playing below par though. But was tip-top today. 

Yep, got to be taken into the equation. Neither Pring nor Vyner are ball winners, they are trying their best and doing bloody well. Mistakes happen. They ain’t hiding though. Love it. 

Does it also make a difference that Bell and Mehmeti are different types of player and need different types of service from JD? Struck me that Bell is more of a runner, wants balls to run on to as he makes those clever runs between defenders. Mehmeti stays out wider and wants balls more directly to him. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, maxjak said:

What you state is basically correct...........but if you look back over the past few seasons (I haven't got time to go back too far)  promoted sides have all tended to have top scorers with high figures.. eg Solanke,,Mitrovic, Pukki  etc.  So the goal difference aspect is perfectly correct, but if you look into the stats of the promoted sides going back, they all have a goalscorer with a reasonable total within their ranks, of course it is by no means a necessity, but it does appear   to be the case.  And of course, as your example of Weimann shows, it is by no means any kind of guarantee.......but I couldn' t find a Championship promoted side from the past few seasons who did not contain a player with less than 17 goals.  Of course there must be a side who shared the goals around amongst the team, and were tight at the back....but it appears to be quite a rarity.

I think we need to be careful here. Are we conflating correlation with causation?

Good teams have high scoring players, but so do bad teams. So there must be other things that make good teams good. Perhaps those things also contribute to the likelihood of having a high scoring player? It's hard to isolate, but I think it's clear that it is a little simple to say "top 6 teams must have a 15+ goal scorer because most often they do".

Undoubtedly it would help, but I'm really not sure we can say for sure what causes which.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Can the fourth official even do that? How would he know, he`s on the half way line FFS?

36 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

It clearly wasn't the fourth official, as it was immediately ruled offside, and the assistant had his flag straight up. Just a typo in the article I'd say... 

Agreed, made no sense to me, but had seen it posted during the game on Stoke forum as well.

Also stated he was not offside, could not tell watching robins tv

45 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Agreed, made no sense to me, but had seen it posted during the game on Stoke forum as well.

Also stated he was not offside, could not tell watching robins tv

38 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Looks offside on the highlights to me and Weimann does stop celebrating very quickly and lino has the flag up, so unsure how the 4th official would/could have disallowed it so quick?

https://www.skysports.com/football/stoke-vs-bristol-c/468300

Pretty sure the linesman flagged it straight away. He was right in front of us so it was fairly plain to see, and certainly no delay which suggested anything coming from the 4th official. 

• Like 1

I am glad I have seen the highlights as the BBC text for the first goal isn't a great description. When I saw it I wondered why Sam Bell was taking free kicks.

1. 72'

Goal!

Goal! Stoke City 1, Bristol City 1. Zak Vyner (Bristol City) header from the centre of the box to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Sam Bell with a cross following a set piece situation.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am glad I have seen the highlights as the BBC text for the first goal isn't a great description. When I saw it I wondered why Sam Bell was taking free kicks.

1. 72'

Goal!

Goal! Stoke City 1, Bristol City 1. Zak Vyner (Bristol City) header from the centre of the box to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Sam Bell with a cross following a set piece situation.

Have you tried Teletext, its the latest thing.

Has it gone unnoticed that we did this today without our best player (Scott), a first choice midfield (Sykes, Naismith and Williams) and no 1 centre back (Atkinson) plus a seasoned international CB (Kalas)?

Very, very promising, especially if big Nige gets a few quid to strengthen in the summer.

I would like to see JD sign any deal offered, I must say.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, City oz said:

I looked at the betting odds and we would be worth a bet for 2-1 away win as the return is high. Next best is the draw.

If you went with a Stoke win of 2-1 at home, then you will only get back some lose change.

I expect it to be a low scoring affair. 

We can only but pray for a win for at least for the 1K plus travelling today.

So how many lucky ones put a few quid on the 2-1 away win.

6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

325 miles away in Ghent here. My word the beer is strong. 

Can someone confirm that Mehmeti cut onto his right foot and bent it into the far corner? That’s the way I imagine it anyway. 

4F9B5D4E-4606-4E94-9CC6-146087A0FAAC.jpeg

I'm sure (and hope) you had a lovely time.

But why are you drinking beers from Antwerp when you are in Ghent, a beautiful little town that produces some wonderful beers of its own? ?.

I believe @exAtyeoMax can confirm.

13 hours ago, italian dave said:

Does it also make a difference that Bell and Mehmeti are different types of player and need different types of service from JD? Struck me that Bell is more of a runner, wants balls to run on to as he makes those clever runs between defenders. Mehmeti stays out wider and wants balls more directly to him. 

100 it does.  I’m a big one for combos, certain players playing well with one but not another. Yesterday, obviously Jay had a v.good game, but playing away helped us too, able to play on the counter, and also Hoever not wanting to defend.