IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

18 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

The fact we've gone early is a massive help. West Brom have no money to spend as far as I'm aware but if they sold a few in the next few weeks to raise funds then maybe they could've pipped us

As the link @Jerseybeanposted says they are in a financial mess. Even if they sell players they may need the money to pay off debts. Assuming the owner doesn't take it again to prop up his other businesses.

Not being able to sign players might be the least of their worries.

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

As the link @Jerseybeanposted says they are in a financial mess. Even if they sell players they may need the money to pay off debts. Assuming the owner doesn't take it again to prop up his other businesses.

Not being able to sign players might be the least of their worries.

Scottish media reporting ‘Aberdeen have agreed a fee for Ross McCrorie that could eventually cost Bristol City £3 million. The Dons have thrashed out an initial payment with the English Championship side over just over £2 million along with future add-ons and a sell-on for their vice-captain.’

Pretty surprised by the 3 mill price we are reportedly paying. Most said we will barely spend anything, let alone close to that figure, let alone for a 25 yo utility player.

it surely won’t be 2-3 mill? If so, surely a player like chair is attainable for that type of money who may provide more goals to the team

Still so unsure about this. 

Admittedly not watched much of the Scottish league and never an Aberdeen game but £2-3million?? Much like our forum it seems Aberdeen fans are split down the middle with some devastated he’s leaving and others thinking their ceo/chairmen has played a blinder if £3mil is the genuine price. 

Not trying to be pessimistic but surely that amount of money for someone untested at championship level is highly risky when it could be spent on more experienced targets? 

2 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Pretty surprised by the 3 mill price we are reportedly paying. Most said we will barely spend anything, let alone close to that figure, let alone for a 25 yo utility player.

it surely won’t be 2-3 mill? If so, surely a player like chair is attainable for that type of money who may provide more goals to the team

Scottish media overplaying the fee, makes it look better for Aberdeen fan’s disappointment in him going.

FWIW I’ve heard:

• £2m + add-ons
  • £2m which includes add-ons

I’m surprised it’s that high, but he’s under contract til summer 2026 and that helps Aberdeen push the price up.

I think we need to stop thinking £x million for a utility player and think £x million for a CB, £x million for a CM, £x million for a RB.  If the people that count think he’s an upgrade on what we have in one position it’s just a bonus he can play in other positions.  That how I see it anyway.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Admittedly not watched much of the Scottish league and never an Aberdeen game but £2-3million?? Much like our forum it seems Aberdeen fans are split down the middle with some devastated he’s leaving and others thinking their ceo/chairmen has played a blinder if £3mil is the genuine price. 

Not trying to be pessimistic but surely that amount of money for someone untested at championship level is highly risky when it could be spent on more experienced targets? 

Try and find the recent televised games against Celtic and Rangers, and then see what you think.

I don’t care too much for those that say the SPL or Scottish football in general is crap.  It’s on the up too and there are lots of players who’ve ventured down south of the border in recent years to show that “we” should take our blinkers off re the SPL.  The recent work permit rules have allowed them to pick up those players who don’t pass the English FA WP rules, so they’ve been growing their levels.

McGinn, Tierney, Christie, McKenna, Dykes just thinking of a few.  Plenty of others too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Scottish media overplaying the fee, makes it look better for Aberdeen fan’s disappointment in him going.

FWIW I’ve heard:

• £2m + add-ons
  • £2m which includes add-ons

I’m surprised it’s that high, but he’s under contract til summer 2026 and that helps Aberdeen push the price up.

I think we need to stop thinking £x million for a utility player and think £x million for a CB, £x million for a CM, £x million for a RB.  If the people that count think he’s an upgrade on what we have in one position it’s just a bonus he can play in other positions.  That how I see it anyway.

If the £3m includes add ins, and one of those is promotion, I hope he costs us £3m. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Try and find the recent televised games against Celtic and Rangers, and then see what you think.

I don’t care too much for those that say the SPL or Scottish football in general is crap.  It’s on the up too and there are lots of players who’ve ventured down south of the border in recent years to show that “we” should take our blinkers off re the SPL.  The recent work permit rules have allowed them to pick up those players who don’t pass the English FA WP rules, so they’ve been growing their levels.

McGinn, Tierney, Christie, McKenna, Dykes just thinking of a few.  Plenty of others too.

Will have a look ?

To be fair I might’ve been swayed by the “Scottish league is tripe” stereotype.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, George Rs said:

I reckon it might be best to watch the kid play a few times if he signs then form a judgement. My gut feel is that Nige and Tins might have watched him once or twice before going cap in hand to the Board for £2m. What we’re not in the market for is £2m oldies on £40k per week.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, George Rs said:

You come perilously close to "I know nothing about him but he's not worth it".

We have had our eye on him for over a year so we have done our due diligence and obviously rate him highly. So it seems do West Brom and Norwich.

And if we rate him highly it might be that a player of similar quality with Championship experience would cost more. Which makes this look like good business.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I reckon it might be best to watch the kid play a few times if he signs then form a judgement. My gut feel is that Nige and Tins might have watched him once or twice before going cap in hand to the Board for £2m. What we’re not in the market for is £2m oldies on £40k per week.

Indeed and he reportedly turned down bigger wages from other Championship clubs, which says something good about his motivation.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You come perilously close to "I know nothing about him but he's not worth it".

We have had our eye on him for over a year so we have done our due diligence and obviously rate him highly. So it seems do West Brom and Norwich.

And if we rate him highly it might be that a player of similar quality with Championship experience would cost more. Which makes this look like good business.

Fair enough, like I said I was unsure, i have no doubt that Tinns and Nige have done their due diligence. 

Just personally hoping that the £3million price reported is skewed as it seems to me a lot for him.

23 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Well the intent would be to unnearth a diamond without a higher tarrif as if he was a proven Championship player. The whole idea of scouting is being played out on this one. I am sure all the homework has been done which is indicitive of how we currently do business.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Will have a look ?

To be fair I might’ve been swayed by the “Scottish league is tripe” stereotype.

The key problem with Scottish football, and this is unlikely to change, is that two clubs have resources way in excess of the rest. 

When you consider that match day revenue is the highest element of income and dependant on the fixtures, there are weeks when the attendance at Ibrox or Parkhead is greater than the rest of the SPL added together.

That said,Scottish football has started to produce better young players who are moving on to other countries apart from down here - Italy being one example.

Aberdeen are trying hard to get back to something close to the Fergie years. They are owned by a boyhood fan - Dave Cormack - who made a fortune from his software company and is investing a lot of money, relatively, into the club. There is a new training ground in place and plans for a new stadium close to the city centre.

They really don’t need the money from transfers, unlike most Scottish clubs, and this may be part of the reason the fee is higher than may be expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Fair enough, like I said I was unsure, i have no doubt that Tinns and Nige have done their due diligence. 

Just personally hoping that the £3million price reported is skewed as it seems to me a lot for him.

Even if we end up paying £3m including all add-ons that would be amortized over the length of his contract.So a 4 year contract would mean £750k per annum.

Not questioning his ability, more simply the money we are potentially spending when it has long been stated we wouldn’t be paying out big money for players.

the point on Bellingham fair enough but he potentially has a much higher ceiling and sell on value given his age but I get the point you’re making 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

And so it begins. The first "what a waste of money" in week 3 of pre-season is my bet.

You can't seriously tell me that you weren't surprised at the figures being quoted in this one? Amortised or not, for a defender, in the current climate, this is a big sum, even if only half is guaranteed.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

You can't seriously tell me that you weren't surprised at the figures being quoted in this one? Amortised or not, for a defender, in the current climate, this is a big sum, even if only half is guaranteed.

Just for context, Nige paid £1.6m for Rob Atkinson after 1 season at Lg1.

It wouldn’t surprise if the fee is around this mark as an initial fee.  From a financial climate perspective I think we are using Semenyo money and the fact that next season’s wage bill will be lower again (maybe considerably) with the likes of Kalas, Massengo, Moore, Dasilva going, plus the likes of Bentley, Klose and Martin, who of course went in Jan.  I reckon that’s £100k p.w (£5m) freed up.  Yep, we then went and got Cornick and Mehmeti…but we’ve eased away from austerity by taking the hit on Antoine and probably a few points lost as a result for the option to be proactive NOW.  There will be several clubs waiting to sell before they can start playing the game.  We look to have stolen a march on several of our competition.

FWIW I too am a little surprised it’s as high as it is.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1