IGNORED

Rare memorabilia find from 1905...

spudski

Love old stuff like this. He must have played the final season for Bedminster FC in 1899/1900 before they merged with us.

The writing on it, as it looks like it was used as a postcard, must have had a story behind it. “Dear Friend. Have you received the little packet I sent also the letter with my photograph. Please let me know by return of the post as I am making enquires. I remain your sincere dear friend Robert”.

1900s tinder?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cityexile said:

Love old stuff like this. He must have played the final season for Bedminster FC in 1899/1900 before they merged with us.

The writing on it, as it looks like it was used as a postcard, must have had a story behind it. “Dear Friend. Have you received the little packet I sent also the letter with my photograph. Please let me know by return of the post as I am making enquires. I remain your sincere dear friend Robert”.

1900s tinder?

He joined Southern League Bedminster in 1899, which a year later merged to become Bristol City, playing Southern League football for two further seasons before they joined the Second Division of the Football League in 1901.

He was a regular in their teams that finished fourth three seasons in a row before winning the Second Division Championship with City in 1905-06, the season in which he also played in an England trial. Having scored 10 goals in 176 appearances for Bristol City (ex his appearances for Bedminster) he joined Southern League Swindon Town in July 1907, but by the time of their 1910-11 Southern League Championship season Chambers was a fringe player, playing only 2 games that season, and he wasn’t part of their 1911 FA Charity Shield team beaten by Manchester United at Stamford Bridge. He was however Club Captain during their 1912 FA Cup run that saw them reach the semi final only to be knocked out by eventual winners Barnsley in a replay at Meadow Lane. He retired from professional football later that year after a single goal in 96 appearances for Swindon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 22A said:

1911 Charity Shield Man U v Swindon. Presumably League winners v Southern league winners?

Yes, correct. There were effectively two Football Leagues then although the Southern League was considered to be not as strong as the northern based Football League. It wasn't until after the Great War that the Southern League became severely weakened by its best teams joining the Football League which then expanded from its two pre- war divisions. 

So when Tottenham Hotspur won the cup in 1901 as a Southern League side they weren't really a non-league side as we consider it today.  But the fact is used as a quiz question regarding which was the only non league side to win the FA Cup since the Football League's inception in 1888.

• Like 1

From 'Bristol City Football Club - The First 100 Years':

" Highly-rated, jovial left-half Peter Chambers played an important role in Bristol City's 1905-06 Second Division title success. After helping Black Diamonds to win the Cumberland League & Cup in his native Workington, he joined Blackburn Rovers in 1897 and moved to Bedminster FC 2 years later. Following the merger in 1900 he starred as Bristol City were Southern League runners-up in 1900-01 and were elected to the Football League. He netted 10 goals in 173 League games before joining Swindon Town and helping them win the Southern League in 1910-11. Subsequently landlord of the Red Lion pub, he remained in Swindon until his death in 1952. "

'Bristol City The Early Years 1894 - 1915' states that 2 weeks before his testimonial match against Chesterfield, an attendance of 18,000 to watch us draw 1-1 at home to Man Utd produced gate receipts of £335.

The attendance for the testimonial Chesterfield game was 5,000, so a ball park gate receipt of £100 maybe? Of which Chambers got 50%. Some testimonial.

Anyone know what 50 quid got you in 1905? 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

It's very difficult to evaluate what that £50 in 1905 would be worth today. 5k and 7.5k have been mentioned and are probably close to the mark. However, the average new house cost about £250 to £300 in 1905 so that £50 bought one fifth of a new house back then. Nowadays one fifth of a modest new house would be in excess of 50k. Also Alf Common became the first £1000 footballer in 1905. £50 would be 5% of that. A modern day large transfer of £100M, five percent of that would be five million quid. 

45 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It's very difficult to evaluate what that £50 in 1905 would be worth today. 5k and 7.5k have been mentioned and are probably close to the mark. However, the average new house cost about £250 to £300 in 1905 so that £50 bought one fifth of a new house back then. Nowadays one fifth of a modest new house would be in excess of 50k. Also Alf Common became the first £1000 footballer in 1905. £50 would be 5% of that. A modern day large transfer of £100M, five percent of that would be five million quid. 

In 1908 the average wage in the UK was £70 a year. So in today's terms... I'd say closer to £15 K

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Is it for sale?  Jon Lansdown needs to get on this and buy it for the museum we were promised 7 years ago 

The Heritage Archive & Trust* is coming soon. It will be an online repository/museum, and stuff like this is perfect for it. 

@spudski is there a chance you could send some contact detail or something to the SC&T so it can be included.

*credit mainly to Scott Davidson, Richard Gould and the SC&T.

• Like 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

The Heritage Archive & Trust* is coming soon. It will be an online repository/museum, and stuff like this is perfect for it. 

@spudski is there a chance you could send some contact detail or something to the SC&T so it can be included.

*credit mainly to Scott Davidson, Richard Gould and the SC&T.

I haven't a clue who owns it. It was on twitter. I'll have another look though.

• Like 1