IGNORED

Nige Post Match Interview

Jimbo76

In his words, really unhappy with the 'young players' not putting the effort in ("I don't care who they are") Pleased with the keeper and back four and the more senior members of the team. and Mehmeti didn't have enough time to have an impact (in his words)

Looking at the line up, that leaves Bell, Conway and Scott.

I'm guessing he's not having a go at Bell, who despite crossing like he had lead in his boots, put the effort in, so Conway and Scott I presume?

Wonder if all the speculation around Scott is starting to tell?

Edited by Jimbo76

Exactly how I see it, Conway & Scott.

Scott has been incredible this season but as well as his rubbish free kick at the end, he certainly didn’t go into challenges the way he has & you do wonder if the speculation is getting to him.

Conway didn’t do much tonight & seems to have pissed Pearson off.

He said he thought the team that started the game did well overall so although Bell’s crossing was poor, it doesn’t appear he meant him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

In his words, really unhappy with the 'young players' not putting the effort in ("I don't care who they are") Pleased with the keeper and back four and the more senior members of the team. and Mehmeti didn't have enough time to have an impact (in his words)

Looking at the line up, that leaves Bell, Conway and Scott.

I'm guessing he's not having a go at Bell, who despite crossing like he had lead in his boots, put the effort in, so Conway and Scott I presume?

Wonder if all the speculation around Scott is starting to tell?

Was referring to the first 3 subs….not Mehmeti.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Scott has been incredible this season but as well as his rubbish free kick at the end, he certainly didn’t go into challenges the way he has & you do wonder if the speculation is getting to him.

He said he thought the team that started the game did well overall so although Bell’s crossing was poor, it doesn’t appear he meant him.

I thought Scott looked excellent on Saturday when he came on.

Hopefully tonight is a blip and it’s just Pearson putting a rocket up their asses.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Should start slagging the senior players such as weinmann and wells not putting it in lacking the fight.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Take away weinmanns goal a while back whats he done ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Best bit is that when none of those subs start on Saturday, you'll still get people on here asking why and complaining.

Exactly Pearson should and I think will bench conway and Scott for Saturday, bring them on and hopefully they will play like Pearson has lit a rocket up their arse 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I watched the game and certain things stood out for me with Scott...body language. It spoke volumes tonight, it was like he was a changed person. Almost an attitude. 

I dismissed it and thought maybe I'd read it wrong. 

Now after NPs comments perhaps my eyes didn't receive me. 

It was weird.because it was so noticeable in my eyes. 

As for Conway...no attitude, but just looked off the pace. 

I don't mean disrespect to Scott...as he's been humble and brilliant for us. But there was definitely a different attitude tonight. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Super said:

He was not impressed with the subs at all. Obviously Scott Conway and Sykes.

I mean, he is right. Tight game, three first teamers coming on, he was entitled to expect more. Whether he is right to say it publicly...I am a lot less sure about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I watched the game and certain things stood out for me with Scott...body language. It spoke volumes tonight, it was like he was a changed person. Almost an attitude. 

I dismissed it and thought maybe I'd read it wrong. 

Now after NPs comments perhaps my eyes didn't receive me. 

It was weird.because it was so noticeable in my eyes. 

As for Conway...no attitude, but just looked off the pace. 

I don't mean disrespect to Scott...as he's been humble and brilliant for us. But there was definitely a different attitude tonight. 

Pearsons i dont care who they are could only really have been aimed at scott?

its the first time in the last 2 seasons he hasnt been an automatic starter, and he might not enjoy being benched?!

• Thanks 1

I really enjoy Nige’s post match comments whether it’s after a win, draw or defeat. He says it as it is. He’s honest without throwing anyone under the bus and tonight expressed his disappointment with the some of the younger players without naming any of them . No doubt he’s spoken to them all  tho. That’s good man management.

I like his determination to keep the players focused and motivated particularly as we are comfortable in mid table with not much to play for. He won’t allow standards to drop.

Im expecting a strong performance against Rotherham on Saturday, possibly with a slightly different line up.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Mehmeti’s goal at Stoke, who played the brilliant ball through that set it up?

Who cleared the ball off our line in injury time at Huddersfield?

Yeah, “but apart from that”..

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yeah, “but apart from that”.....

.........he did bring aqueducts to Bristol. :)

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

He’s captain, elected by the players who obviously respect him as a player and a man. Try watching him closely on Saturday and maybe you’ll get a wide view of just what he contributes - I assume that you do actually watch City play live?…………:dunno:

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Pearsons i dont care who they are could only really have been aimed at scott?

its the first time in the last 2 seasons he hasnt been an automatic starter, and he might not enjoy being benched?!

Scott has been out injured and we know that Nige prefers to reintroduce recovered players gradually. That’s why he was on the bench tonight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yeah, “but apart from that”..

Well you can always nit pick i suppose just admit hes past his best and we cant keep these blokes forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He’s captain, elected by the players who obviously respect him as a player and a man. Try watching him closely on Saturday and maybe you’ll get a wide view of just what he contributes - I assume that you do actually watch City play live?…………:dunno:

Yes i notice he disappears for large parts of the game and since his injury hes not the player he was youve just nailed it hes captain but when hes doing jack shit like most of the last 6 months and theres more energy on the bench but Nige likes his favourites .

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Notwithstanding your comments, weimann was poor and not to his usual standard tonight. Surprised he wasn't subbed. Being Captain shouldn't mean you can't be subbed if not playing well.

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Imo Weimann is the one man who often is played as a square peg in a round hole. 

He's at his best as an out and out striker playing central. He maybe not the best at the club in that position, but that's HIS best position. 

He has experience, he's respected, he gives 100%, he runs all day, he gives his all...so he gets put in the team in various positions. He runs his socks off. 

Yet for me...often a lot of the issues into the final third involve him. For all the good he does in other parts of the game, gets undone in the final third. 

Rushed, uncontrolled, not composed, over hit, under hit, trying to play glory balls often when unbalanced... You name it, he does it. 

So for all the good...the one bit we are missing, is final third composure. Which he often doesn't give. 

We'd be better off with a more measured player, playing behind the front three. 

Edited by spudski
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

I mean, he is right. Tight game, three first teamers coming on, he was entitled to expect more. Whether he is right to say it publicly...I am a lot less sure about.

Nige is one of the best man managers we have ever had. 

If he is criticising players in the media, he does so for the good of the team and those players. It's all part of the team development and their personal development. Just look at the Atkinson situation for example.

Nige is very clever with how he uses the media.

It could also be a test of their personality. He'll be watching very closely about how they react to this, he wants his players to be mentally tough, if they can't handle their manager saying a few home truths in the media then this isn't the right club for them.

• Like 16
  • Hmmm 1

I didn't see the game unfortunately as I was reporting on the other Sheffield club beating the gas this evening. Flinty gave them 'some back from the flack' he was getting on the final whistle ?

Regarding NP post match.... No 'under the bus individual comments' but Nige clearly not happy with the 'commitment and application' from some of the bench players ? i expect that is directed at Alex Scott maybe????? He is still a Bristol City player at this time and whilst the lad is clearly off in the summer, is NP pointing out (imo), not to even consider being a big time Charlie just yet? Alex could be warming the bench at Liverpool (eg) next season so he won't be able to just come off that bench (or ours) and just turn up and play on ability only, 100% effort is required ?

Nige is a man manager and only puts out messages/comments to the media to 1) help the team, 2) help the player, 3) get the right response. 

If it is Alex being disappointing in his commitment and that was bothering Nige this evening, this will be a good learning curve for Alex. He is only 19 and has to keep his feet on the grass?

Good and clear messages from NP imo... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Yes i notice he disappears for large parts of the game and since his injury hes not the player he was youve just nailed it hes captain but when hes doing jack shit like most of the last 6 months and theres more energy on the bench but Nige likes his favourites .

Energy and workrate from Weimann is unquestionable and a strange thing to call out - especially when those coming off the bench didn’t show much.

The bloke doesn’t stop - his ball ability, passing crossing etc definitely questionable at times but any manager would like him for the ground he covers. Any manager 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1