IGNORED

Nige Post Match Interview

Jimbo76

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know someone who knows Scott and speaks to him regularly (I know, I know).

This won’t shock anyone, but Scott has fully embraced leaving this summer and taking the next step of his career. He knows there’s substantial interest from clubs in England and overseas. The rumoured Wolves interest was apparently very real, but Scott knew and/or was advised that he could do better.

Spurs seems his preferred move apparently, but he’s got a substantial amount of options and is very open to going abroad. The Man City game made a huge impact on him, and their players weren’t just being sporting - they were genuinely impressed.

Thanks for this; which all adds to the ‘heads been turned’ cliche. 

I don’t blame him, he’s a very young lad and who knows how any of us would react in that situation.

He may well not feature that much now before he’s off. 

9 hours ago, spudski said:

One has to Tanner, he allowed himself to be sucked into the middle, which he does too often for me. McAtee had acres of space to run into. Not sure who the other would be without watching the replay.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The reaction every time Pearson dares to hint at being dissatisfied on here is baffling.  Some people just don't get management and how the better managers use public interviews to stick a rocket up players if they feel they need it.  If he's noticed a difference in Alex Scott then he is doing him a big favour in calling him out because he won't be walking into the starting line up of an EPL team with a poor attitude for certain. 

Compare this with the likes of LJ and Barton whose post-match interviews are either self-promotion if their sides won or did well or about scapegoating if they didn't. 

I think what some people (me, anyway) struggle to understand is the difference between “sticking a rocket….”, “calling him out”, and “scapegoating”. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Nigel is experienced enough to know when a young player has his mind elsewhere as could well be the case for Scott now. What is important is to demonstrate that if you don’t pull your weight then there are no favourites and no excuses if the team is to have serious ambitions of challenging. Scott has been fully on the bus from day one but with his next stop now approaching he is maybe looking to give up his seat to the next man. Nigel has no room for sentiment in his team. If Scott is not first choice now then it’s not about protecting his valuable asset (Scott) so much as saying that passengers don’t get a free ride no matter how much they have done or how good they are. Nigel’s most valuable asset is not Scott so much as the collective team mantra and spirit that he is building and that’s the message for the likes of Conway, Sykes and the other young players coming through.

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

Thanks for this; which all adds to the ‘heads been turned’ cliche. 

I don’t blame him, he’s a very young lad and who knows how any of us would react in that situation.

He may well not feature that much now before he’s off. 

We are very late in the season with nothing to play for however, I get why Nige said what he did, he is a very smart. man- manager and from his comments after Watford he wants the players to end the season as well as possible in preparation for the next one.

As for Alex, he will be well aware what options that will be a available to him in a few short weeks. He is a young man and has a big decision to make, I can understand a potential lack of focus and a change of attitude. 

In his defence, I would doubt that perceived change in attitude would be present if we were closer to either end of the table with either joy or jeopardy possible.

• Like 3

Let’s face it . Scott is now 3 games away from becoming a multi millionaire and a Premier league player . He’s just come back from an injury and the club have put him up for auction to an extent never seen at Ashtongate before . Would you throw yourself into every tackle and jeopardise all that if it was you ? Not a chance and it’s churlish of NP to expect it . As for Conway , he’s Alex’ best mate and perhaps a little bit of it has rubbed off so he’s more deserving of a b@@@@@@@@g ! 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This won’t shock anyone, but Scott has fully embraced leaving this summer and taking the next step of his career. He knows there’s substantial interest from clubs in England and overseas. The rumoured Wolves interest was apparently very real, but Scott knew and/or was advised that he could do better.

Spurs seems his preferred move apparently, but he’s got a substantial amount of options and is very open to going abroad. The Man City game made a huge impact on him, and their players weren’t just being sporting - they were genuinely impressed.

You’re right - it’s not a shock that AS is preparing for a PL move……..……..:cool2:

No doubt he’s also been advised that it’s very unlikely that he’ll immediately become a first team starter if he ends up at a bigger PL club like Spurs or Man City. 

Financially he’ll be made for life of course.

TBF when anyone has dropped below a level that Pearson has been happy with, or a player has previously achieved, he has mentioned it (I wont say moaned about it). This is just trying to make sure that players stay at that level.  
I don't think it would have been easy to make a positive impression last night, playing a promotion team that had a half time bolloxing and had got up a head of steam, that said  I don't think it does any harm to want that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think what some people (me, anyway) struggle to understand is the difference between “sticking a rocket….”, “calling him out”, and “scapegoating”. 

Scapegoating is picking someone out as being the reason for a defeat or poor performance.    For example, LJ constantly did this with Magnússon. Sticking a rocket is saying that wasn't good enough.  Which is different from that is your fault.

He said we needed more from a talented bench and you cannot argue with that.  We'd put ourselves in the position to get a signature away win at a difficult venue which is why he's frustrated. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Let’s face it . Scott is now 3 games away from becoming a multi millionaire and a Premier league player . He’s just come back from an injury and the club have put him up for auction to an extent never seen at Ashtongate before . Would you throw yourself into every tackle and jeopardise all that if it was you ? Not a chance and it’s churlish of NP to expect it .

And I don't resent him for it one bit.

It's also, to be crude, currently far more important to this club to get the millions from a Scott sale than 3 points from a single league match.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wivs7 said:

I was there as I have been for every minute and Conway couldn’t be accused of not putting in the effort. No problem calling out a lack of effort but also call out the quality when it’s poor. Weimann who I like was dreadful last night and yet stays on and is called out as performing by the Manager. Can’t have it both ways. 

Do you know what Conway was asked to do and are you able to confirm whether he did it? Whether you are there for every minute or not if you don’t know what the kid was asked to do then you are unable to say Nige is wrong. Effort is more than just running around. At the end of the day Nige can call it how he likes, you just don’t happen to agree with it.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

On the beach and protecting himself ahead of a move?

I did wonder whether Pearson's critical comments about the subs' performances last night was also a thinly veiled shot across the bows of the whole squad, warning against them  acting like they're " on the beach" until the season's over.

57 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Pearson has laid a challenge to be better & make a bigger impact when they come on in the future. He has publically heralded both Conway & Scott so now he’s bringing them back to earth.  No issue with that.

Could not agree more. This is probably the best thing that could happen to them both. 

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I did wonder whether Pearson's critical comments about the subs' performances last night was also a thinly veiled shot across the bows of the whole squad, warning against them  acting like they're " on the beach" until the season's over.

I think thats the stuff mourinho and ferguson used to do,,, fergie would rip it out of giggs or scholes in front of everyone so everyone knew that if those 2 get the grief you had better be on top of your game or you would to… of course he would have them in his office soon after telling them he loved them!

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And I don't resent him for it one bit.

It's also, to be crude, currently far more important to this club to get the millions from a Scott sale than 3 points from a single league match.

If that's the case then we leave Scott out if the squad until the season's over.

Pearson has changed and continues to change the culture in the club. We are moving away from the nice cozy club to being a proper professional football club.

If so, then does making an exception for a hugely talented player send the right message for the other players, and especially the other young academy graduates, that will be here after Alex has gone?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

So with Cornick playing better, O’Leary not at fault for the goal last night we’re on to Weimann being the scapegoat I see.

It’s like last season never happened, isn’t it?

You can criticise a player with meaning you're making them a scapegoat.

I like Wiemann, but I can't see how anyone can say he had a good game yesterday. His passing was poor and it was made to look even worse by the fact we were in dangerous positions and we could have had more chances had he been more composed. Could say the same about Tanner and Dasilva's crossing too - awful. If we can get better at all that, I think we'll be a force.

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If that's the case then we leave Scott out if the squad until the season's over.

Pearson has changed and continues to change the culture in the club. We are moving away from the nice cozy club to being a proper professional football club.

If so, then does making an exception for a hugely talented player send the right message for the other players, and especially the other young academy graduates, that will be here after Alex has gone?

Sure, and that's all fine by me.

All I know is were I a 19 year old about to get a huge career move in this industry, and just had to navigate a handful of dead rubber games, then yeh I'd take it easy.

I'd be a hypocrite to judge him for that attitude.

If indeed that attitude is the case of course. This is all conjecture and speculation on my part.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’re right - it’s not a shock that AS is preparing for a PL move……..……..:cool2:

No doubt he’s also been advised that it’s very unlikely that he’ll immediately become a first team starter if he ends up at a bigger PL club like Spurs or Man City. 

Financially he’ll be made for life of course.

My post wasn't on the OS so I'm not quite sure why you've replied……..……..:cool2:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Scapegoating is picking someone out as being the reason for a defeat or poor performance.    For example, LJ constantly did this with Magnússon. Sticking a rocket is saying that wasn't good enough.  Which is different from that is your fault.

He said we needed more from a talented bench and you cannot argue with that.  We'd put ourselves in the position to get a signature away win at a difficult venue which is why he's frustrated. 

Thanks.

I can't recall the Magnússon comments especially - my recollection with regard to LJ was more often than not about Taylor Moore.

It seems like a fairly fine line to me - and even then you probably have to factor in things like knowing how players will react (for some handling it one way would be a good way to get an improvement, for another player quite the reverse). 

And I'm not suggesting that NP was wrong (or that LJ was wrong). It's just that it is all about nuance and fine lines. And what I see from a few posters on here (and I'm not including you in this!) is people for whom "Nige" can do no wrong and for whom LJ could do nothing right, who can see nothing but good man management in what NP said last night and yet would be lining up to criticise LJ for saying something similar - and sorry but I'm struggling to find that much nuance in those posters' views!!

30 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Do you know what Conway was asked to do and are you able to confirm whether he did it? Whether you are there for every minute or not if you don’t know what the kid was asked to do then you are unable to say Nige is wrong. Effort is more than just running around. At the end of the day Nige can call it how he likes, you just don’t happen to agree with it.

Were you there? Did you see Conway do anything different when he plays down the middle than he normally does? And you’re right I don’t agree with it. 

1 minute ago, Wivs7 said:

Were you there? Did you see Conway do anything different when he plays down the middle than he normally does? And you’re right I don’t agree with it. 

No, I wasn't there last night. However when a bloke who has played at the highest level, has managed top players at the highest level and knows far more than me about football at the highest level (and you for that matter, let's get it right) tells me that certain members of the squad did not affect the game then I will take that at face value. It's not like he is prone to errors of judgement arising from being under pressure and fighting to save his job. He knows what they were asked to do and I would take that experience and knowledge of what instructions he issued over your "I've been away every game this season and see Tommy play like that every week" observation with respect. 

• Like 1

Scott’s recent injured had many people thinking we had seen the last of him in a city shirt. If fans were thinking that then he will be as well. We are too close to the end of the season now with little to play for that Scott is going to risk a big injury that jeopardises a potential big summer move for him. Whether you agree with it or not, it’s hard not to see his side of things.

I would rather see Taylor-Clark given the minutes from here on in.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

All I know is were I a 19 year old about to get a huge career move in this industry, and just had to navigate a handful of dead rubber games, then yeh I'd take it easy.

If indeed that attitude is the case of course. This is all conjecture and speculation on my part.

If that is the case it's understandable on Scott's part in the same way it's also understandable if Nige decides to play other players instead.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

Which is why, as I've said before, he should not be risked for his & the clubs sake...

It's not only about risking the player, although commercially that's obviously the most important factor, it's also the fact that for the long term benefit of the job the Manager is looking to do you can't play lads giving 80% alongside 10 players giving everything.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Especially if you’re likely to get constantly clattered by the opposition