IGNORED

Nige Post Match Interview

Jimbo76

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Best bit is that when none of those subs start on Saturday, you'll still get people on here asking why and complaining.

Meanwhile, Weimann has been piss-poor, isn't called out on it and will walk out with the captain's armband on. I mean the captain should be a leader, I don't see him leading anything out there right now and think I'd rather see the armband on Matty James who gives a solid performance week in and week out without getting any praise for doing the stuff no one else does.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Meanwhile, Weimann has been piss-poor, isn't called out on it and will walk out with the captain's armband on. I mean the captain should be a leader, I don't see him leading anything out there right now and think I'd rather see the armband on Matty James who gives a solid performance week in and week out without getting any praise for doing the stuff no one else does.

You don’t really call out players for being your version of piss-poor as that is subjective anyway. Lack of effort has to be called out every single time. You can’t have three subs coming on in a tight game and strolling about when people have travelled 3 hours to watch you.

I’m guessing some of the people defending the lads who put **** all in last night never travel three hours to watch us play. I would question whether some of them go to the Gate tbh as it’s such a bizarre take.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not on Twitter but if I were I’d point out that any manager publicly blaming a player’s performance or error is simply not done for obvious reasons, one of which it’s that it poor man management.

Calling a player out or throwing them under the bus is embarrassing for all concerned. I can only think on one former manager who regularly did exactly that.

7 hours ago, spudski said:

Imo Weimann is the one man who often is played as a square peg in a round hole. 

He's at his best as an out and out striker playing central. He maybe not the best at the club in that position, but that's HIS best position. 

He has experience, he's respected, he gives 100%, he runs all day, he gives his all...so he gets put in the team in various positions. He runs his socks off. 

Yet for me...often a lot of the issues into the final third involve him. For all the good he does in other parts of the game, gets undone in the final third. 

Rushed, uncontrolled, not composed, over hit, under hit, trying to play glory balls often when unbalanced... You name it, he does it. 

So for all the good...the one bit we are missing, is final third composure. Which he often doesn't give. 

We'd be better off with a more measured player, playing behind the front three. 

Every player has strengths and weaknesses but those are harsh comments Spudski which could apply to pretty much anny attack minded  player.

To me his strengths massively outweigh his weaknesses and why his name is one of the first on the team sheet,

• Like 1

Just now, Robbored said:

Every player has strengths and weaknesses but those are harsh comments Spudski which could apply to pretty much anny attack minded  player.

To me his strengths massively outweigh his weaknesses and why his name is one of the first on the team sheet,

Based on last nights performance is there any chance you could list his strengths?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, spudski said:

I watched the game and certain things stood out for me with Scott...body language. It spoke volumes tonight, it was like he was a changed person. Almost an attitude. 

I dismissed it and thought maybe I'd read it wrong. 

Now after NPs comments perhaps my eyes didn't receive me. 

It was weird.because it was so noticeable in my eyes. 

As for Conway...no attitude, but just looked off the pace. 

I don't mean disrespect to Scott...as he's been humble and brilliant for us. But there was definitely a different attitude tonight. 

On the beach and protecting himself ahead of a move?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Harsh but true RR. As I pointed out his strengths. These are his weaknesses. You can see it with your eyes...and then it's underlined when listening to the commentary on the stream, when they also pick up on the same weakness. 

He shines when played up front. 

His final ball when contributing from a deeper position is less so. 

6 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Energy and workrate from Weimann is unquestionable and a strange thing to call out - especially when those coming off the bench didn’t show much.

The bloke doesn’t stop - his ball ability, passing crossing etc definitely questionable at times but any manager would like him for the ground he covers. Any manager 

I get that Paul but tonight he was clearly the man to come off. Can’t question his work rate but he was poor tonight. He was as much to blame for the impact of Conway as Weimann was nowhere near as effective as Bell. Pearson got that charge wrong. Say the subs didn’t have the impact but to say what he said about the youngsters and not caring who they are is poor in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

On the beach and protecting himself ahead of a move?

I don't think so...it was more a cocky type of reaction to certain scenarios in the game, that didn't go to plan. Almost like it wasn't his fault...but others. Never seen his body language like that before this game. Hopefully a one off. 

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Definite starter on Saturday for you then Graham?

I thought you didn’t give a **** what I think?

100%. For one thing in a side that is struggling to score he is far more likely to contribute a goal from midfield (like he did against Blackpool) than anyone else we have.

I know you have pursued a fairly relentless campaign against him (that you must have been gutted that you had to pause last season) but he’d be in my side.

The reaction every time Pearson dares to hint at being dissatisfied on here is baffling.  Some people just don't get management and how the better managers use public interviews to stick a rocket up players if they feel they need it.  If he's noticed a difference in Alex Scott then he is doing him a big favour in calling him out because he won't be walking into the starting line up of an EPL team with a poor attitude for certain. 

Compare this with the likes of LJ and Barton whose post-match interviews are either self-promotion if their sides won or did well or about scapegoating if they didn't. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So with Cornick playing better, O’Leary not at fault for the goal last night we’re on to Weimann being the scapegoat I see.

It’s like last season never happened, isn’t it?

We have played a lot of games since then…

He hasn’t continued the form and has been pretty average to say the least this campaign. The fact you had to name a clearance off the line as a highlight says it all…

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So with Cornick playing better, O’Leary not at fault for the goal last night we’re on to Weimann being the scapegoat I see.

I remain convinced that there is a section of our "fans" that are absolutely gutted that last season did happen, because they'd previously written him off as someone who just runs around a lot and he proved them so cluelessly wrong.

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, spudski said:

Imo Weimann is the one man who often is played as a square peg in a round hole. 

He's at his best as an out and out striker playing central. He maybe not the best at the club in that position, but that's HIS best position. 

He has experience, he's respected, he gives 100%, he runs all day, he gives his all...so he gets put in the team in various positions. He runs his socks off. 

Yet for me...often a lot of the issues into the final third involve him. For all the good he does in other parts of the game, gets undone in the final third. 

Rushed, uncontrolled, not composed, over hit, under hit, trying to play glory balls often when unbalanced... You name it, he does it. 

So for all the good...the one bit we are missing, is final third composure. Which he often doesn't give. 

We'd be better off with a more measured player, playing behind the front three. 

Excellent post. Sums it up perfectly. 

He had a great chance to play in TC last night and his pass was straight to the covering defender (did similar against Watford too), and an even clearer cut chance to play in Sykes but his lob forward had too much weight and went through to their keeper. Both those 2 scenarios,(and the one against Watford) if played right, could easily had lead to goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

It suprises me he isn't played there more often, and I'm understating that really.

I must be missing a trick somewhere??, but to my idea it's not rocket science....

Imo...although his best position is up front, we have others that are equally as good. 

It's his engine, experience, willingness to run, and press that imo, gets him put deeper. Those parts of his game are great. Sadly...it's let down often, by his final ball when passing, controlling in the final third. It's often rushed, off balance, not composed, under or over hit, gambled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

You don’t really call out players for being your version of piss-poor as that is subjective anyway. Lack of effort has to be called out every single time. You can’t have three subs coming on in a tight game and strolling about when people have travelled 3 hours to watch you.

I’m guessing some of the people defending the lads who put **** all in last night never travel three hours to watch us play. I would question whether some of them go to the Gate tbh as it’s such a bizarre take.

I was there as I have been for every minute and Conway couldn’t be accused of not putting in the effort. No problem calling out a lack of effort but also call out the quality when it’s poor. Weimann who I like was dreadful last night and yet stays on and is called out as performing by the Manager. Can’t have it both ways. 

I know someone who knows Scott and speaks to him regularly (I know, I know).

This won’t shock anyone, but Scott has fully embraced leaving this summer and taking the next step of his career. He knows there’s substantial interest from clubs in England and overseas. The rumoured Wolves interest was apparently very real, but Scott knew and/or was advised that he could do better.

Spurs seems his preferred move apparently, but he’s got a substantial amount of options and is very open to going abroad. The Man City game made a huge impact on him, and their players weren’t just being sporting - they were genuinely impressed.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As for Weimann, he is in credit after last season and nobody could ever question his work rate. However, he would probably be the first to admit that his performances at best have been inconsistent & needs improvement.  It’s ok to demand more from him as we know what he’s capable of but the credit for last season will only last so long & as such, needs to do better when on the ball.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes but that was last season… perhaps people are comparing and contrasting last season and this? Surely that’s ok, to talk about now?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've said many times that the biggest challenge Nige faces is changing the culture within our fan base. 

This is a perfect example of that. 

I'm glad we have a manager who's calling out players for not making an impact. 

Impossible job imo. Certainly if the morons on Twitter are anything to go by. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, spudski said:

watched the game and certain things stood out for me with Scott...body language. It spoke volumes tonight, it was like he was a changed person. Almost an attitude. 

9 hours ago, spudski said:

it was so noticeable in my eyes

That palpable sense for you when referring in this way to Alex, whom we've grown to admire,a player impeccable in attitude & the manner in which he conducts himself - maybe it's too easy an assumption for me to make, stating the obvious/hypothetical probability - a likelihood that he's been approached???......especially if this tickle comes from one of the bigger clubs, not surprising he'd lose focus.

• Thanks 1