IGNORED

What are your immediate end of season thoughts?

Jerseybean

As the curtain comes down on our season, it would’ve be good to hear others immediate reflections, on this season and next. To get the ball rolling here are my key thoughts.

We have made steady progress both on and off the pitch. Much has been written about our financial plight and the move to slim down the squad, create a more sustainable wage structure, which is also more equitable is to be applauded. There have been times when the squad has been stretched, due to its size and injuries, but it has also created opportunities for younger players to be given an opportunity and by and large they haven’t let the club or themselves down.

The emergence of some really good young talent and the consolidation of other youngsters has been a real positive and although we may have seen the last of Scotty in a City shirt we have a crop of fine young players in and around the first team. I’m especially looking forward to seeing Conway progress, he looks the real deal to me.

An area which has improved significantly has been our game management. in recent seasons we have conceded far too many late goals, thankfully that has been addressed and here is the data for late goals scored and conceded this season.

Throughout the season, as is always the case in the championship, fine margins have dominated. The vast majority of our games, whether we have won or lost, have been decided by one goal. As NP said recently we’ve been in every game this season. Even against the two top teams we lost 2-1 home and away v Burnley and 1-0 home and away v Sheffield United. The only two who did the double over us. We lost 1-0 away at third-place Luton, beating them at home and drew both home and away against Middlesbrough.

Our overall points tally of 59 is better than last year’s, although we still have a long way to go in order to be where we want to be, which is pushing for promotion.

I’m a big fan of NP’s and think he has managed things well overall. This closed-season will be the first where he is not clearing out loads of players and it presents an opportunity to strengthen in key areas. My hope is we can secure our targets early on and everyone can have a really good pre-season. He has recently said, ‘The bottom line is this, the culture, that the players are very much part of creating, is about having really healthy competition, relative fairness, I can't say football is always going to be fair because it's not, there's always going to be grumpy players somewhere but I want healthy competition in the club but I want us to aim high.’ When looking at what he has done it really does align with his bottom line approach.

Looking forward to next season we will be playing Plymouth, Ipswich, (plus one of Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough) and three of Southampton, Leicester, Forest, Everton and Leeds, so fresh challenges await. While Burnley, Sheffield United, (and one of Luton, Boro, Sunderland and Coventry) Reading, Blackpool and Wigan won’t feature (reckon our away mileage will drop somewhat).

I would expect that, at the very least, we can improve on this seasons position and if some of the fine margins, which I mentioned, can be turned into points then we might just be in with a shout of the play-offs.

Next seasons fixtures will be released on June 15th at 9am with the season commencing the 12th August, also the weekend of the Balloon Festival which means we should have an away fixture to start the season. More than 13,500 seats have already been renewed or purchased by existing Season Ticket holders or Members and now Season Tickets are available on general sale at an advanced price.

By July 1, only one player in the squad (Joe Williams) won’t have either been signed by Nige or re-contracted by him. Here’s some premature speculation: https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bristol-city-transfers-nigel-pearsons-squad-next-season-if-the-rumours-are-true-4128067?fbclid=IwAR1VmWNLIkp9FO8g9Mnzk3JPhAiNjdOvg5rEESVPPkX0LbS82O0Vgoj70F0

Fellow-Reds and OTIB’s everywhere enjoy the closed-season.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Data: 

Away at Hull conceded 93rd  minute - 1 point

Away at Wycombe 77 and 93 minutes - through to the next round of the Carabao Cup

Away at Blackpool conceded 90th minute - 2 points

Away at Blackburn Rovers 93rd minute

Away at Norwich 77th minute

Home to PNE conceded in 82 scored in 90 + 2 points

Home to Millwall conceded on 76 -1 point

Away to Reading conceded in 93

Home to Swansea conceded 75 - 2 points

Home to Lincoln 80 minute

Home to Swansea 75 minute - kept us in the FA Cup

Home to Birmingham 76 minute

Away to Swansea 112 minute - put us into the fourth round of the FA Cup

Away to Sunderland 93 minute + 1 point

Home to Blackpool 81 minute

Away to Stoke 85 minute + 2 points

Away to Sheffield United 76 minute - 2 points

Home to Rotherham United 91 minute + 2 points

• Like 1

You need squad depth to cope with 46 games and the injuries that come. For well documented financial reasons we lack depth. We were never in a position, with the tools required, to take advantage of the opportunity presented by Watford and Norwich's weak showings.

We've improved our Goal Difference massively, improve it by another 10-15 next season and we're in with a chance.

Some great performances, @NickJ's drawings, Conway's coming of age, Sam Bell, Cam Pring, Vyner, and some bold decisions in January.

On the negative side we lost a top CEO, launched some awful kits without any consultation or communication, and had a weird little protest around Christmas.

A solid season overall, but next season anything could happen.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

Do you use AI to write some of these?

Also, is the first game definitely confirmed as the 12th? Normally we’re a week before the Premier league.

I think it’s the most I’ve looked forward to the following season, as the old one ends, since we got promoted.

• Like 3

It's now time to push on. 

I've commented before that by and large our performances have been good all season. We've got that consistency. 

We finished 3 wins off of the play offs. That's a little bit frustrating cos I can easily think of many games where we could have won. We need to turn them decent performances into wins.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

As the curtain comes down on our season, it would’ve be good to hear others immediate reflections, on this season and next. To get the ball rolling here are my key thoughts.

We have made steady progress both on and off the pitch. Much has been written about our financial plight and the move to slim down the squad, create a more sustainable wage structure, which is also more equitable is to be applauded. There have been times when the squad has been stretched, due to its size and injuries, but it has also created opportunities for younger players to be given an opportunity and by and large they haven’t let the club or themselves down.

The emergence of some really good young talent and the consolidation of other youngsters has been a real positive and although we may have seen the last of Scotty in a City shirt we have a crop of fine young players in and around the first team. I’m especially looking forward to seeing Conway progress, he looks the real deal to me.

An area which has improved significantly has been our game management. in recent seasons we have conceded far too many late goals, thankfully that has been addressed and here is the data for late goals scored and conceded this season.

Throughout the season, as is always the case in the championship, fine margins have dominated. The vast majority of our games, whether we have won or lost, have been decided by one goal. As NP said recently we’ve been in every game this season. Even against the two top teams we lost 2-1 home and away v Burnley and 1-0 home and away v Sheffield United. The only two who did the double over us. We lost 1-0 away at third-place Luton, beating them at home and drew both home and away against Middlesbrough.

Our overall points tally of 59 is better than last year’s, although we still have a long way to go in order to be where we want to be, which is pushing for promotion.

I’m a big fan of NP’s and think he has managed things well overall. This closed-season will be the first where he is not clearing out loads of players and it presents an opportunity to strengthen in key areas. My hope is we can secure our targets early on and everyone can have a really good pre-season. He has recently said, ‘The bottom line is this, the culture, that the players are very much part of creating, is about having really healthy competition, relative fairness, I can't say football is always going to be fair because it's not, there's always going to be grumpy players somewhere but I want healthy competition in the club but I want us to aim high.’ When looking at what he has done it really does align with his bottom line approach.

Looking forward to next season we will be playing Plymouth, Ipswich, (plus one of Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough) and three of Southampton, Leicester, Forest, Everton and Leeds, so fresh challenges await. While Burnley, Sheffield United, (and one of Luton, Boro, Sunderland and Coventry) Reading, Blackpool and Wigan won’t feature (reckon our away mileage will drop somewhat).

I would expect that, at the very least, we can improve on this seasons position and if some of the fine margins, which I mentioned, can be turned into points then we might just be in with a shout of the play-offs.

Next seasons fixtures will be released on June 15th at 9am with the season commencing the 12th August, also the weekend of the Balloon Festival which means we should have an away fixture to start the season. More than 13,500 seats have already been renewed or purchased by existing Season Ticket holders or Members and now Season Tickets are available on general sale at an advanced price.

By July 1, only one player in the squad (Joe Williams) won’t have either been signed by Nige or re-contracted by him. Here’s some premature speculation: https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bristol-city-transfers-nigel-pearsons-squad-next-season-if-the-rumours-are-true-4128067?fbclid=IwAR1VmWNLIkp9FO8g9Mnzk3JPhAiNjdOvg5rEESVPPkX0LbS82O0Vgoj70F0

Fellow-Reds and OTIB’s everywhere enjoy the closed-season.

Underwhelmed by this season TBH but excited for next with the talent we are bringing through from within.

• Like 1

Said elsewhere, I’m very very happy with this season.  Team has been overhauled on an absolute shoestring and we have developed serious money from Antoine with more to come from Scott and possibly others which will be imperative to us moving forwards without any financial albatrosses around our necks.   He’s also developed some fantastic young players this season and Vyner has massively improved also. 
Overall I think Nige and the team have done an absolutely superb job and I’m really looking forward to next season with a lot of optimism.  

• Like 10

It’s been a good season overall. The continuing emergence of young players is really positive, despite the pain of losing the likes of Semenyo and probably Scott  

We have have got through the financial difficulties after the Mark Ashton years and we can now look ahead to continue to build a squad to push towards the playoffs. 

It feels like we are in good hands under the helm of NP. 

• Like 2

Very pleased with what I’m seeing in the club currently, everyone going in the same direction, lots of talented youngsters coming into a good squad. For me a couple of tweaks here and there, and we’ve got the makings of a club that will be pushing toward the next level.

I’d agree with Nige about a couple of “thugs” in defence and midfield, and arguably one up top as well.

Get the signings in early and a good preseason, and lose the yellow kit and things will be promising next season…

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 1

Content overall.  Although performances on the pitch could have been better, the changes behind the scenes (e.g. improved wage structure and getting rid of dead wood) have been imperative. Things will only improve in the future. 

The development and introduction of academy players has been great to see. I'd much rather witness this, than have a number of prem youngsters play and inevitably leave at the end of season - which a lot of teams have been heavily reliant on. Excited to see more young talent for us.

The growth in togetherness, resilience and squad spirit has been encouraging.

The loss of Semenyo was felt and the probable sale of Scott, despite being arduous to accept, could see us as a more solid and balanced team next season (pending a good summer window!). 

I am excited for next season and fully trust Nige and the staff to push us on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Massive progress

3 or 4 players away from a promotion push.

Football is much better to watch

We stay in games for 90 mins

Much harder to beat don’t look a soft touch anymore.

More pace in the side. 

Very little dead wood in the squad

Transfer policy looks much better

Have the best young player outside the prem 

Have a good manager who knows how to get promotion.

Only downside - The kit shambles (The away kit better be good)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Better Red said:

Massive progress

3 or 4 players away from a promotion push.

Football is much better to watch

We stay in games for 90 mins

Much harder to beat don’t look a soft touch anymore.

More pace in the side. 

Very little dead wood in the squad

Transfer policy looks much better

Have the best young player outside the prem 

Have a good manager who knows how to get promotion.

Only downside - The kit shambles (The away kit better be good)

Couldn’t have summarised it better myself! 

Definitely a positive season, with the cup run and the emergence of academy boys being particular highlights, and we are upwardly mobile. 

We all know that young players bring inconsistencies. As they get more experience, they need to cut out the individual errors to become more consistent. 

I genuinely feel we are three or four good signings away from a play-off push next season. A big summer in the transfer market awaits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Position and points wise we're only a bit better off than last year, but that doesn't tell the whole story and I think we've made some good progress, with a real opportunity to push on further next year.

We're no longer a pushover, we've been competitive in all bar a small handful of games and are far harder to play against than we were, especially at home. Just need to develop a more ruthless, clinical edge and there's no reason why we can't have a decent crack at the top 6.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Really happy with the effort we see every week.

Really happy with the number of homegrown and Bristolian players.

Really happy with the style of football in recent months (not always seen during the Nige reign).

Like most of us, I'm excited to see how the Scott sale plays out, and to see what kind of squad we have next season.

Next season will be the first for a while where there will be pretty widespread expectation, which comes with a new kind of pressure.

• Like 1

Apart from the odd blip, looking like a competitive football team at last.

Exciting young players who are only getting better. Looking forward to some decent signings in the close season, and seeing how it goes next season. Hope Vyner (and Kalas on reasonable terms) signs a contract. Need to develop a killer instinct.

• Like 2

Overall positive, the likes of Conway , Pring, Vyner O’Leary & Bell all proving they can preform at this level. Is a big plus.

sykes, tanner & memetti also looking astute signings.

can’t help but feel if we hadn’t had the long term injuries to key players in key positions over the season we could of achieved a top six spot, I appreciate all teams will experience this over the course of season but we really where done to the bear bones. 
kalas, Atkinson, Naismith, Conway, Williams and all missed a large chucks of season . 

• Like 5

Agree with all the positive comments, we’ve made huge progress through difficult circumstances, improving in pretty much all areas whilst sorting finances and culture. 

Transfer window clearly key - rough and ready calcs suggest a plausible first team squad of 22 (including Harvey, but not everyone with a squad number), of whom 6 might well not start next season: Benarous, Kalas, Dasilva, King, Scott and Wilson. Whilst getting 3 in early will be great, think we’ll need more than that unless NP, BT and co are very confident in more academy lads breaking through. Maybe Kalas stays (good), Wilson makes the progress necessary and King can still do a job here and there, but on the face of it, 3 in feels light. Therefore hopefully some action later in the window as well. Guess initial 3 might be via Semenyo money and leavers freeing up wages, later in the window reliant on Scott money? 

• Like 1