IGNORED

What will be the expectations for next season?

Top Robin

The interesting thing now is that expectation levels are going back up to where they were under LJ.

Next season it will finally be Nige's squad and he'll probably have some cash to spend to finish a big part of the rebuild.

Everyone at the club will be talking about 'pushing on' and 'challenging in the top half' etc.

The negative is that there will be less patience for poor form when it does arise. 

I think a bottom half finish will be sewn as failure, which adds pressure.

We can't fully judge until we've got the transfer business done but as it stands now I'd be hoping for an encouraging top 10 finish with signs of further improvement. Anything better would be a bonus obvs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Auto......off the scale orgasmic

Play offs.....excellent

Position 10 to 6.....acceptable

Below 10....failure 

Without the squad being understood it’s impossible really. Just want improvement so more than 59 points and higher than 14th.

Auto are unbelievable

playoffs are barely believable

6 to 10 would be an achievement but ultimately disappointing

10 to 14 would be ok but dull

14 to 21 disappointing and ultimately unacceptable

below 21 getting the bed sheets out

I think the key has to be improvement, young players developing and more young players coming through. I think the hope for me is a consistent season without major dips in form and a 10 - 15 point improvement on this season. 

However the league position isn't just about how we play but how other teams play too. In 2013 68 points was enough for Leicester to finish 6th on goal difference. In 2017 75 wasn't enough for Leads and the 6th placed team (Fulham) had 80. I feel we could and should expect enough consistency and improvement to get to somewhere between 65 and 70 points (e.g. winning 3 games we drew and drawing 3 games we lost would take us to 68 points) but 80 points would be a major improvement that could be beyond us.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

The interesting thing now is that expectation levels are going back up to where they were under LJ.

Next season it will finally be Nige's squad and he'll probably have some cash to spend to finish a big part of the rebuild.

Everyone at the club will be talking about 'pushing on' and 'challenging in the top half' etc.

The negative is that there will be less patience for poor form when it does arise. 

I think a bottom half finish will be sewn as failure, which adds pressure.

We can't fully judge until we've got the transfer business done but as it stands now I'd be hoping for an encouraging top 10 finish with signs of further improvement. Anything better would be a bonus obvs.

I think Niges expectations will be greater as by next season he will have created that team 

• Like 1

I'm approaching my 80th birthday and my hopes for next season and many more to follow are that I'm still physically able to get to home matches.

The progress since Nigel Pearson arrived has stuttered at times. However, I believe, like many others, that we are steadily improving with a much smaller squad but much more together than the preceding three years.

I know we may lose Alex Scott to cash loaded Premier but I feel more confident that that income will be used wisely by Tinman and Nige. Sides that struggle to win matches are usually those that find it hard to score. But our major problems have been at the other end of the field so the recruitment of midfielders and defenders together with Pearson's knowledge as a pretty decent defender in the top two leagues, should be the big improvement area.

I am confident that it will be and I also feel that we could be spending a lot of time in the top six of the coming season.

• Like 6
  • Robin 6

I'd like to think play-offs might be attainable: There will still be cash issues at the club - even if what we think might happen, does happen - and the Championship will still be distorted by parachute payment clubs.

Ultimately, if we have a decent shot at the play-offs but fall a bit short I'll not be disappointed.  As long as we've contended for them seriously and NP continues to bring on young stars, that's a good season in my book. Sometimes an unlucky injury or two at the wrong time can throw the best laid plans into chaos, although equally sometimes 'injury unluckiness' can shake the team up in ways that prove unexpectedly good; you need luck as well as hard-work to make it in this league.

The only unacceptable season would be one where we are constantly in the gravitational pull of relegation.  I don't expect that to happen but, as someone once said, it is a funny old game. 

• Like 4

I don’t really subscribe to this ‘just improve on last season, 13th, progress’ idea as we’ve done that, got to 8th… then fell back towards battling relegation.

It doesn’t always have to be slow and steady. Sunderland were League 1 last season, but saw a chance for the play-offs right now and took it. Next season will be our 9th at this level, while we’ve been here many teams have hit the right formula and taken their chance. 

Right now we have a good, hungry young team, a good manager and everything off the pitch is PL ready. So next season, we go for top 6. If we don’t make it, so be it. But we push hard for the play-offs, they’re doable!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I can't see us finishing in the play offs, 3 big teams coming down and some well supported teams coming up. Coventry's achievement on their budget gives hope to non parachute payment teams though.

Overall I think between 8th and 12th is most likely.

A lot to conisder at this point. Which sides will be in the division with us, does Scott go, how much of that is reinvested.

In terms of our general direction, we are headed the right way and i think there is every reason to expect a positive season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the key has to be improvement, young players developing and more young players coming through. I think the hope for me is a consistent season without major dips in form and a 10 - 15 point improvement on this season. 

However the league position isn't just about how we play but how other teams play too. In 2013 68 points was enough for Leicester to finish 6th on goal difference. In 2017 75 wasn't enough for Leads and the 6th placed team (Fulham) had 80. I feel we could and should expect enough consistency and improvement to get to somewhere between 65 and 70 points (e.g. winning 3 games we drew and drawing 3 games we lost would take us to 68 points) but 80 points would be a major improvement that could be beyond us.

As an example, our total of 59 points would have seen us finish 12th in both L1 and L2 this season, whilst in last season's Championship it wouldn't have seen us improve on the 17th place we achieved at that time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

It doesn’t always have to be slow and steady. Sunderland were League 1 last season, but saw a chance for the play-offs right now and took it. Next season will be our 9th at this level, while we’ve been here many teams have hit the right formula and taken their chance. 

But was a play-off place the expectation of Sunderland fans last May? Or was it a hope at that point, then a feasible possibility once they got a good start and appointed Mowbray, and then became an expectation what.. around about February?

For example I hope for top two, I think top 8 is a feasible possibility, but all I expect is improvement.

36 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Right now we have a good, hungry decent young team, a good manager and everything most stuff off the pitch is PL ready. 

Personally I think we have the above, and I think expectations of top 6 are high.

28 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

I can’t see anything better than half way , if Scott,kalas and Jay go and we replace with 3 league 1 players we are not any stronger, I also don’t have much faith in Tinnion/Pearson getting the correct players in 

I agree, as in reading this thread that there are going to be a hell of a lot of unhappy Bristol City supporters next season - it seems that the consensus is that anything lower than 10th place would be unacceptable.

It's going to be interesting on here.

Nigel will need a tin hat ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I can't see us finishing in the play offs, 3 big teams coming down and some well supported teams coming up. Coventry's achievement on their budget gives hope to non parachute payment teams though.

Overall I think between 8th and 12th is most likely.

Honestly can’t see Southampton being anywhere near with the owners they got and that squad,Leeds and Leicester will be up there

44 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But was a play-off place the expectation of Sunderland fans last May? Or was it a hope at that point, then a feasible possibility once they got a good start and appointed Mowbray, and then became an expectation what.. around about February?

For example I hope for top two, I think top 8 is a feasible possibility, but all I expect is improvement.

Personally I think we have the above, and I think expectations of top 6 are high.

This is what I mean with my post. I certainly think it possible we get in the play-offs and - whilst I don’t think it likely - it is not impossible we compete for automatic promotion but I think those things should be possibilities rather than expectations.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stockwood gate said:

I can’t see anything better than half way , if Scott,kalas and Jay go and we replace with 3 league 1 players we are not any stronger, I also don’t have much faith in Tinnion/Pearson getting the correct players in 

Halfway i reckon as you said league 1 players can only get you so far look at Boro loans from villa but quality signings . 

• Like 1