IGNORED

What will be the expectations for next season?

Top Robin

IMO, to be a proper top 6 candidate we need to become a team that others don't fancy their chances against to a greater extent than presently. Yes, we get some respectful comments about the way we play, but I doubt many managers send their teams out against us fearing the worst. 

Maybe a couple of additions in key positions might elevate us in this respect, but I doubt they'll come from L1 or L2 - and it might mean compromising on minutes for the academy products / development players. Without this improvement in our pitch 'presence' though, I see only incremental improvement over the next 2-3 seasons (from what is a better starting point than in the last few seasons tbf). 

Realistically, 10th to 12th next season. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Auto......off the scale orgasmic

Play offs.....excellent

Position 10 to 6.....acceptable

Below 10....failure 

What you really mean... regardless of player ins and outs..

Auto... NP did his job, good.

Play off's..  the least NP could have reasonably be expected to achieve. OK

Position 10 to 6.. NP is not worthy.

Below 10.. NP should be shot.

Think we will be top six. Avoid errors in defence, some pens and luck. We have shown we play good football. Young players will be better, think our Messi can standout next season like Semenyo did. NP is a good manager and our team is getting confidence. We have good players all over the pitch, Max is ok but hope he can be better. The leauge is tough but the feeling is  we can make it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Seriously, anything better than 14th along with a decent set of creatively minded forward thinking players that enable us to develop our own style of play. This will enable us to build on the firm foundation that NP has generated.

I genuinely don't expect craziness in the transfer market...more a considered approach that concentrates on potential rather than the quick win (with associated financial burdens). 

I am a realist and do not expect us to complete for the playoffs this time out....I still think we are another season away. 

Need to tie NP down. For at least another 2 years to capitalise on the work he has done so far. 

We are making headway, let's keep our heads and aim for improvement. Marginal gains will yield fruit eventually. ? 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Halfway i reckon as you said league 1 players can only get you so far look at Boro loans from villa but quality signings . 

Indeed. As much as i am supportive of the current transfer policy of signing young up and coming League 1 and 2 players (Mehmeti being a good example) more often than not it is too much of an expectation to assume these players are going to come in and step up straight away to the rigors of Championship football. 

League position is all hypothetical until we know what business is done this summer, however i feel if we are serious about an assault on the top 6 we may need to take the gamble on a couple of Championship ‘ready’ players whether that be loans or perm signings.

For the first time since the summer of 2019 we will have some serious funds in the kitty. I fully trust Pearson to add the necessary quality needed to take us to that next level.

It’s of course a gamble as we know from experience that throwing ££ at it at this level isn’t a guarantee for success, but i feel Pearson will give it a much better go than LJ and MA did.

Gone are the days of just scatter gun signings and anyone who is brought in for a substantial transfer or loan fee will be right for the club and system that Pearson is looking to implement IMO. I’m certainly excited and intrigued to see what Pearson can do with a bit of cash at his disposal..

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 2

I genuinely don’t know how anyone can answer this question beyond making more general good points (like the ones made by @The Bard) at present.

We don’t know yet if Kalas is staying, we don’t know who is leaving, Scott? Wilson?

We don’t know who is coming in or what money Pearson has to spend.

”Playoffs” is great to say but I have no idea how anyone can know if this is remotely realistic less than a week after we stopped playing league games.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

The key is Scott to next season.

If he goes and we have 15m added to budget then top 6 is def possibility.

If he stays then with 3 or 4 clever signings top 6 is possible

If we just continue improvement as this year and a few singing then top 10 is pretty likely.

I think Pearson has his team in mind and he is clear on the missing pieces.

We need to both trust and back him and I actually believe in the next 3 years we will be playing in the prem have not thought that for a very long time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sunningdalered said:

IMO, to be a proper top 6 candidate we need to become a team that others don't fancy their chances against to a greater extent than presently. Yes, we get some respectful comments about the way we play, but I doubt many managers send their teams out against us fearing the worst. 

Maybe a couple of additions in key positions might elevate us in this respect, but I doubt they'll come from L1 or L2 - and it might mean compromising on minutes for the academy products / development players. Without this improvement in our pitch 'presence' though, I see only incremental improvement over the next 2-3 seasons (from what is a better starting point than in the last few seasons tbf). 

Realistically, 10th to 12th next season. 

Absolutely my own instinct for the coming year..

Beautifully summed up, Sunningdale....

26 minutes ago, Better Red said:

The key is Scott to next season.

If he goes and we have 15m added to budget then top 6 is def possibility.

If he stays then with 3 or 4 clever signings top 6 is possible

If we just continue improvement as this year and a few singing then top 10 is pretty likely.

I think Pearson has his team in mind and he is clear on the missing pieces.

We need to both trust and back him and I actually believe in the next 3 years we will be playing in the prem have not thought that for a very long time.

“£15m added to the budget” simply isn’t going to happen.

If we sell Scott there won’t be some huge sum to spend, the way we were run under Ashton when we sold Webster is a mistake we are learning from.

I’d be amazed if our total expenditure on fees reaches £5m if Scott goes & as Tinnion has pointed out, a fair few of these will be like the Wimbledon lad, low fee, low wage signings.

The “8 in, 6 out” era of Nagy, Massengo, Palmer, Szmodics, Dasilva, is over.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

“£15m added to the budget” simply isn’t going to happen.

If we sell Scott there won’t be some huge sum to spend, the way we were run under Ashton when we sold Webster is a mistake we are learning from.

I’d be amazed if our total expenditure on fees reaches £5m if Scott goes & as Tinnion has pointed out, a fair few of these will be like the Wimbledon lad, low fee, low wage signings.

The “8 in, 6 out” era of Nagy, Massengo, Palmer, Szmodics, Dasilva, is over.

I don't think we'll spend any of the Scott money. There is still a sizeable chunk of the Semenyo fee available. We'll use that and bank the Scott cash to help fund any additions that may be needed down the line.IMO.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I don't think we'll spend any of the Scott money. There is still a sizeable chunk of the Semenyo fee available. We'll use that and bank the Scott cash to help fund any additions that may be needed down the line.IMO.

By my calculations, admittedly they are rough and who knows how much in addition to the standard Covid losses falls into 2021-22 but anything saved this summer minus £1m can go back into the team. Granted we don't know how income was this season vs 2021-22 and if costs in other areas came down but if costs down with wages and amortisation from this to meet season say, £4m can go back into the team.

That's an example of the -£1m rule as opposed to actual figures but I expect that Semenyo needed selling to offset FFP somewhat.

Although if Scott goes for the expected fee well I can forget about FFP for us for a few years! ?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

49 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Whilst it would be great for us to get in the Prem.....next 3 years will mean that will mean Nige has has 6 years and I'm not sure I can wait that long.

It would be 6 years in which he turnt a relegation fodder club into a prem team, whilst improving it financially, at the youth level and with the culture around the club. If you can’t wait 3 more years for that I wonder why you support city. 

• Hmmm 1

Like some in here, I think it’s probably to early to say.

Buttttt, if we were to have a good window (sign experienced players in positions that we clearly need support in) and don’t lose any of our important talent bar Scott. Conway, pring vyner etc (which I think might be a lot more difficult then some think) I would definitely expect improvements.

Wont say top 6 or 8 etc because that seems a silly metric to work off. If we can gain 11 points on this seasons tally that takes us to 70, if that gets us playoffs great but if not I still see it as a definite success. I’d say minimum 65+ but aiming for 70 is a goal that is achievable and realistic.

Edited by George Rs

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Whilst it would be great for us to get in the Prem.....next 3 years will mean that will mean Nige has has 6 years and I'm not sure I can wait that long.

It took Alan Dicks 11 years at a time when the financial disparity between clubs was nowhere near what it is today. He too prioritised developing young players.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

No expectations, fools game. Too many variables/context to simply say league position is the barometer for progress

I hope we can put together a run of good performances and results.

I'd like to think we will make significant progress as a team and individuals like Tommy will kick on.

I'm intrigued to see how we adapt our playing style when we lose arguably the most talented player in the league.

Well said. There are simply too many imponderables. Good teams coming down, others improving (Swansea had a terrific last 8/10 games. Birmingham, QPR, Norwich, Watford etc should all be stronger).

Personally think we will do well to finish in the top ten league position wise.

Hoping like you to see further improvement in playing style and progress of Conway, Bell etc.

There has been a vast improvement in how we pass the ball. We actually look like a football team these days.We still give the ball away far too cheaply at times,but not so often.The fitness level of the squad has certainly improved,and we manage to last games much better.Recruitment will be the key,we are still a little way off the play-offs in my opinion.First game of last season we were robbed of a point,by an atrocious penalty award! So we need a bit of luck with the officials. Some hopes! Maybe we might just finish a little higher.

• Like 4

It’s impossible to predict how we will do until we know who is in the league, and how all of the clubs are affected by player movement both in and out.

Even then this league is utterly unpredictable, as we all know.

The loss of Scott, yes, I believe he will almost certainly go, will be difficult but, I am certain that Nige and Tins will have been preparing for that.

To 6 would be excellent but it’s going to be difficult just like it is every season.

I do feel we are making significant progress and will continue to do so.

The key to that is keeping Nige which may be harder than we expect, not because he will get other offers but more so that he might decide he has had enough of the whole thing and go off and do other things.

• Like 1