IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

13 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Isn't his son doing well at Fleetwood?

Hill is at Bournemouth (as @tin mentioned)

Bell is obviously at us.

Scott Murrays son just got promoted with Weston.

Steve Phillips son plays for Man City.

Good old bunch of offspring!

11 hours ago, alexukhc said:

And Matt Hewletts

Now there’s a player who promised so much and never quite hit the heights we all thought he could. If I remember rightly, got injured away at Plymouth when in red hot form - and never came back the same (although to be fair - my memory may be a little hazy)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Now there’s a player who promised so much and never quite hit the heights we all thought he could. If I remember rightly, got injured away at Plymouth when in red hot form - and never came back the same (although to be fair - my memory may be a little hazy)

If I recall correctly, he signed for Swindon and had a pretty decent career with them. 

Edited by Major Isewater

44 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If I recall correctly, he signed for Swindon and had a pretty decent career with them. 

Anyone who carves out a career in professional football has a good career to be fair - I didn’t mean to sound harsh 

I can remember when he first come through as a youngster - I fancied him to move up to a higher standard than is. He even sniffed around the England U21s 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Anyone who carves out a career in professional football has a good career to be fair - I didn’t mean to sound harsh 

I can remember when he first come through as a youngster - I fancied him to move up to a higher standard than is. He even sniffed around the England U21s 

I think he may of been on the bench for an England U21 match at Ashton Gate, could be wrong though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think that was mainly down to trying to get more local supporters through the turnstiles, no disrespect towards MH. 
The same thing happened for Chris Garland. 

Indeed, don't think he played.

I rated Bryan when he was here and it would be good business to get him back - if he is willing to take an offer that is within our wage structure..

I do feel all this talk of ‘he’s not in it for the money’ and ‘money doesn’t motivate him’ is being a bit naive from some fans though.

Irrespective of if he comes from a nice affluent middle class family or not, the guy is on big money at Fulham and i doubt he would want to take a substantial cut in wages to come here.

I may be completely wrong but i think we would have to offer him decent wedge for him to consider coming back IMO..

Edited by Bris Red

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

I guess it's kinda contextual. Does the value of being on the doorstep of your family outweigh the potential for say Middlesborough to pay 5 to ten grand more a week than us? I'd imagine he'd still be at the top of our wage structure so it won't be cheap, but we might be a more attractive option for reasons beyond money.

Hard to know, really. I just really want it to happen.

£1.2M over 3 years taking the mid-point of the range you quote for Boro's "more a week" - I think he'd suffer the pain of living on Teeside!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, headhunter said:

£1.2M over 3 years taking the mid-point of the range you quote for Boro's "more a week" - I think he'd suffer the pain of living on Teeside!

He's probably already made a lot more than that over the last 5 years, he knows it's better to be happy, he'll be coming home I am sure.

11 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Not sure.

Doesn’t it also depend on many other factors?

1. Where you are on your earning cycle? So if this was your first big move & you’d been in League One/Two previously then undoubtedly that would be your judgement. When you’ve already made a small fortune from football, maybe not.

2. Where you’re from, if you were from the North then again yep, but if you’re from this part of the world then possibly not. I got offered a job in the North East recently on more money & didn’t even consider it.

3. Finally the type of person you are, Bryan is clearly not your average footballer, not too many of them went to public school, for starters, he also doesn’t strike me as a fool with money, no track record of divorce (always a great way to lose a lot of money), failed business ventures or obsessive compulsive buying, so the opportunity to still earn decent money in a lovely part of the world near to his family as he enters his 30s might well be attractive.

I’m not saying he won’t go elsewhere but don’t think it is quite so simple as just a matter of money.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bris Red said:

I rated Bryan when he was here and it would be good business to get him back - if he is willing to take an offer that is within our wage structure..

I do feel all this talk of ‘he’s not in it for the money’ and ‘money doesn’t motivate him’ is being a bit naive from some fans though.

Irrespective of if he comes from a nice affluent middle class family or not, the guy is on big money at Fulham and i doubt he would want to take a substantial cut in wages to come here.

I may be completely wrong but i think we would have to offer him decent wedge for him to consider coming back IMO..

If you’ve ever talked to him, as @GrahamC says, he’s not your typical footballer, and we all know he isn’t coming back for charity, but it’s quite possible to entertain that he might come here for less money than he might be offered elsewhere, because non-money reasons matter more.  His reason for going to Fulham wasn’t all about money, it was the challenge etc.

Put it this way, we / Nige has a wage structure in place, if we are to sign Joe Bryan it’s because he’s happy to fit inside the wage structure.  That will still be a decent wedge in the grand scheme of things.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you’ve ever talked to him, as @GrahamC says, he’s not your typical footballer, and we all know he isn’t coming back for charity, but it’s quite possible to entertain that he might come here for less money than he might be offered elsewhere, because non-money reasons matter more.  His reason for going to Fulham wasn’t all about money, it was the challenge etc.

Put it this way, we / Nige has a wage structure in place, if we are to sign Joe Bryan it’s because he’s happy to fit inside the wage structure.  That will still be a decent wedge in the grand scheme of things.

How much would we have to pay to buy a player of his quality if he was still in contract? More than what I would presume is going to be a hefty signing on fee which will allow for the lower weekly wage.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

How much would we have to pay to buy a player of his quality if he was still in contract? More than what I would presume is going to be a hefty signing on fee which will allow for the lower weekly wage.

Paying a signing on fee to keep a wage within budget comes at a risk….that the player tells all the teammates that although he’s on £x thousand a week, but the club just gave him £x hundred thousand as a signing on fee and then he turns up to training in a fancy car to brag about it.

Lee Tomlin ⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Haha 2

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Paying a signing on fee to keep a wage within budget comes at a risk….that the player tells all the teammates that although he’s on £x thousand a week, but the club just gave him £x hundred thousand as a signing on fee and then he turns up to training in a fancy car to brag about it.

Lee Tomlin ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Was the vast expanse between "it." and "Lee" meant to represent his waistline?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No idea, but I reckon our wage structure has a max of between £12k-15k p.w.

Jesus, if you work it out that's about £16-17k per 46 games a season. I'm off in the garden to get the little un some practice in. He can pay me back £2k a week plus housekeep???

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure.

Doesn’t it also depend on many other factors?

1. Where you are on your earning cycle? So if this was your first big move & you’d been in League One/Two previously then undoubtedly that would be your judgement. When you’ve already made a small fortune from football, maybe not.

2. Where you’re from, if you were from the North then again yep, but if you’re from this part of the world then possibly not. I got offered a job in the North East recently on more money & didn’t even consider it.

3. Finally the type of person you are, Bryan is clearly not your average footballer, not too many of them went to public school, for starters, he also doesn’t strike me as a fool with money, no track record of divorce (always a great way to lose a lot of money), failed business ventures or obsessive compulsive buying, so the opportunity to still earn decent money in a lovely part of the world near to his family as he enters his 30s might well be attractive.

I’m not saying he won’t go elsewhere but don’t think it is quite so simple as just a matter of money.

All those points are valid. That said, he might also want his legacy to be that of being remembered for the 2017/18 season and the goal vs. Man Utd rather than the associated pressure of being  the prodigal son coming homes as "one of our own" to inspire us to the next level but not living up to expectation.

I haven't read all of this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. However what I have digested from this is that Bryan will have to take a cut in his wages to come here.

But surely the point is he will no doubt be taking a cut in his wages wherever he ended up. Fulham are not extending his contract so no longer wish to pay him what he was on and the fact he was farmed out to Ligue 1 conveys the impression that they rather wish they hadn't been paying him what he was on for the whole of his last season too.

Bryan is 29, he is no longer at his peak in terms of earning potential. He had that at Fulham and now that time has elapsed. 

Don't get me wrong he would be a great acquisition at our level especially with the extra big match experience he has gained since he left us. And I can imagine there would be clubs at Championship level willing to pay more than our ceiling would be in terms of his wages. But I don't think it would be too much more. So I reckon it is very much a possibility that Joe Bryan will be a Bristol City player next season.

• Like 8