IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's a good player, he's a great Bristolian, and I would/will welcome him home with open arms, but he's not a goalscorer and although he could chip in with 2 or 3, he's not the 5-10 goal midfielder we might be looking for.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

So assuming he played every minute of a Championship season at LM that predicts 7 goals. 7 would be nice I grant you, but is that playing condition going to be fulfilled? Mehmeti and Bell would be angry.

I'm lost, you say he isn't a 5-10 goalscorer we are looking for but in the same post predicts he will get 7?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My question would be “why would you not think he still has star quality”?

He’s 29, been playing at a higher level (both team and league) since he left us. Thereason he’s not playing at Fulham (especially, because I know little about the situation at Nice) is because Fulham are a far better team than the one he joined in 18/19.

He might be a total flop, who knows, but “on paper” it’s an excellent signing (proposed).

Saw that too.

The reason he hasn't been playing sadly is that he wasn't good enough to play at prem level. When he did play from what I can remember watching on MOTD he didn't have many creative moments and was part of a very leaky defence. The fact he's hardly played since dropping out of first team contention and that includes when Fulham were in the Champ previously is the concern. Yes, he was a good player for us in the past and had some exciting highlights, which attracted the interest of Fulham and Villa, but is he better than what we've got now. I'm not convinced.

I hope I'm wrong and slipping the City shirt back on puts his career back on track but this feels more like a transfer of the heart than the head to me.

• Like 2

I'll be really glad to have him back.

I think Pearson will be a good manager for him as well - if I had one criticism of him in the past, I think he'd occasionally go missing in games... standing behind his man, making the pass angle to him awkward, whatever. I don't think he'll be doing that any more!

He's a quality player and person by all accounts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

The reason he hasn't been playing sadly is that he wasn't good enough to play at prem level. When he did play from what I can remember watching on MOTD he didn't have many creative moments and was part of a very leaky defence. The fact he's hardly played since dropping out of first team contention and that includes when Fulham were in the Champ previously is the concern. Yes, he was a good player for us in the past and had some exciting highlights, which attracted the interest of Fulham and Villa, but is he better than what we've got now. I'm not convinced.

I hope I'm wrong and slipping the City shirt back on puts his career back on track but this feels more like a transfer of the heart than the head to me.

You do realise we aren't in the Prem?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Imagine a scenario where Joe Bryan slots into left-back and Cameron Pring moves into midfield.

I’ve had the same thought as I’ve always thought Pring’s best role in LW where he can use his pace and power, or whip in a teasing cross. 

The other thought I had was thinking of Bryan playing a Tinnion-esque role, with Pring bombing down that left flank much like Barnard, Brennan and Bell. That’s more nostalgic, mind! 

7 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 minute ago, Super said:

You do realise we aren't in the Prem?

Exactly, he’s realistically a top-end Championship player (PL squad member - no shame)….which is better than  the level we are at.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, tin said:

I’ve had the same thought as I’ve always thought Pring’s best role in LW where he can use his pace and power, or whip in a teasing cross. 

The other thought I had was thinking of Bryan playing a Tinnion-esque role, with Pring bombing down that left flank much like Barnard, Brennan and Bell. That’s more nostalgic, mind! 

Remember Cole and Bridge at the Japan World Cup???

Re Pring, his recovery runs are so good, he has to stay at LB for me, but either way around would be some threat at our level.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TomF said:

I wanted to be pedantic and say it was Marsh Road but am not exactly sure where one ends and other starts. It's on the corner I think.. as the little dead end/cul de sac is Ashton Road? 

Bower Ashton Terrace.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

It's worth remembering that Fulham aren't the relegation fodder that they were a few years ago. They're currently a top half Prem team (10th).

Such is the gulf between Fulham and 14th placed Championship Bristol City, there are many players who aren't good enough for the former, who are more than good enough for the latter.

My only hesitation is where he would play. It's hard to stomach the idea of benching Pring or Bryan - you'd hope to start both really. For me, the LB spot is Pring's, so my best guess for Bryan's position with us would be LW. Who are our current wingers? Mehmeti, Bell, and Sykes? IMO Bryan is probably an upgrade, certainly compared to Bell who was starting games at LW towards the end of the season. 

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Exactly, he’s realistically a top-end Championship player (PL squad member - no shame)….which is better than  the level we are at.

He was a top-end championship player on his day in my opinion. Is he that standard now? I guess we shall see.

As I said, I hope he the success that a lot here think or hope he will be.

And, yes, I do know we aren't in the prem but if you want to get to the prem you need players who can be of that level. I don't think Joe is right now. My opinion. Hope I'm proved wrong 

• Like 1

If Scott is sold, which sounds like there’s a chance he may stay at least another season, then I see mehmeti going central for his trickery and creativity around the box in attacking midfield which would allow a left side of bryan and pring. Either which way, we will have a lot more tactical flexibility and depth

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I agree. Although I was really sorry to see him go, I cannot understand why we would sign him when we have Cam Pring. Surely there are bigger priorities like a nice big central defender and a replacement for Scott.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

He was a top-end championship player on his day in my opinion. Is he that standard now? I guess we shall see.

As I said, I hope he the success that a lot here think or hope he will be.

And, yes, I do know we aren't in the prem but if you want to get to the prem you need players who can be of that level. I don't think Joe is right now. My opinion. Hope I'm proved wrong 

If only Joe Bryan had shown himself capable of earning promotion from the Championship. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

I agree. Although I was really sorry to see him go, I cannot understand why we would sign him when we have Cam Pring. Surely there are bigger priorities like a nice big central defender and a replacement for Scott.

Cam Pring gets injured first game of the season. What happens next...?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

If only Joe Bryan had shown himself capable of earning promotion from the Championship. 

We aren't signing the Joe Bryan from then though. 

He's hardly played recently. That's the concern. I hope he's a success, I really do. If we can get his career back on track then great.

5 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Transfer deals can and do run in parallel!!! ???

6 minutes ago, BLRed said:

If Scott is sold, which sounds like there’s a chance he may stay at least another season, then I see mehmeti going central for his trickery and creativity around the box in attacking midfield which would allow a left side of bryan and pring. Either which way, we will have a lot more tactical flexibility and depth

I’d prefer for Alex Scott to stay and play in CM with Matty James (or whoever).  Think he’s more use to us playing from deeper.  Mehmeti could still play no10 or LF.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My question would be “why would you not think he still has star quality”?

He’s 29, been playing at a higher level (both team and league) since he left us. Thereason he’s not playing at Fulham (especially, because I know little about the situation at Nice) is because Fulham are a far better team than the one he joined in 18/19.

He might be a total flop, who knows, but “on paper” it’s an excellent signing (proposed).

Saw that too.

Injuries? Either way, if we sign him surely that spells the end of the Currie from Wimbledon rumours. NP likes players who can play in multiple positions and we will have 3 players who can all play left back to a consistent championship level.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Would you rather we signed Cam to a longer deal? I would and we can't do everything WTGR.

I wouldn’t rule out that happening anyway. The club giving new deals to Atkinson and Tanner despite them not being in their final year shows a shift in ‘protecting assets’

• Like 5

Just now, Searles said:

Injuries? Either way, if we sign him surely that spells the end of the Currie from Wimbledon rumours. NP likes players who can play in multiple positions and we will have 3 players who can all play left back to a consistent championship level.

No it doesn't.

Currie is very much in the George Tanner type of signing. Not necessarily for the here and now.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I can't understand how anyone can look at this signing and not consider it a no brainer. 

Pearson has made a lot of having players such as James, King, Wells etc setting an example and standard for the younger ones. With King likely to play an even lesser role next season then that experience needs to be replaced. Bryan adds that experience to the team. Being a City boy himself he'll be a great example to the younger ones.

He also brings goals to the team and is quite good at set pieces, which is where we are poor. 

We would not be signing Bryan over a central defender. It's not one or the other. 

Bryan would walk into pretty much every Championship side. Yes we have Pring, but when a player of Bryan's quality comes available then you find a way to fit him in! 

I feel like last season we failed because our lack of depth. Signing Joe ensures that we are well covered down the entire left hand side.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Searles said:

What would spell the end of Currie signing would be Jay Dasilva staying! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Players don’t lose skill? I’d agree that maybe his fitness wasn’t what it was but I’d expect nige and co to do their due diligence to make sure he’s up to scratch. Just because he hasn’t played as much and is a bit older doesn’t mean he’s got worse? Look at nahki, didn’t play last season except off the bench but is our top goal scorer in the league this year. 

Think people massively undervaluing him as the top championship player he is. If we had a game now id realistically pick him over mehmeti to play ok the left wing in a heartbeat. Mehmeti has the potential to be brilliant but currently a very 1 dimensional player. Who better to learn from then someone like joe!

• Like 1