IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

25 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

That's move on and find the next Joe Bryan their must be some kid who's been released from a premier club or a kid from the lower leagues.

Good luck to Joe, you scored some screamers of which I'm very grateful.

That kid was Antonee Robinson!!! ?

57 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree, I think he'd have looked at our squad and thought, where am I going to start games regularly with the emergence of Cam Pring, and plenty of strength in depth on the left side of midfield/forwards?

The timing just didn't feel right. 

I agree with this. This coupled with the fact perhaps he just decided ‘going back’ was just not right 

He is still a young bloke, who has lived away from home in London the last few years, as well a good few months in a foreign country 

Imagine doing all that in any other profession for a few years - then going home back to the same job you had before 

I personally liked the thought of ‘our legend Joe Bryan’ signing - rather than ‘Joe Bryan signing’  . Pearson is absolutely right in what he says - we need the right type of player with the right mentality here 

I’m excited about the players we have signed. Throw in a midfielder and perhaps a forward - next season could be a good one 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But where has anyone said that?

Worth a listen:

Just listened to this. Reading between the lines, although in fact it seems pretty clear to me, Joe expressed concerns that he would be a high earner at the twilight of his career and perhaps therefore not the best value for money signing for his hometown club, and he would rather take a last payday from someone else who he didn't feel the same emotional connection to. Just me who reads it like that? 

• Robin 1

8 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Just listened to this. Reading between the lines, although in fact it seems pretty clear to me, Joe expressed concerns that he would be a high earner at the twilight of his career and perhaps therefore not the best value for money signing for his hometown club, and he would rather take a last payday from someone else who he didn't feel the same emotional connection to. Just me who reads it like that? 

Joe confidence is obviously low if your right mate

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

Alright know all ???

Was only joking!

Back in the summer that we signed Dasilva, I would’ve been happy had it not happened and we got Robinson instead (I don’t even know if he was on our radar).  He’s done alright hasn’t he?

1 hour ago, Porto Red said:

Not what I was getting at at all. I wondered if he felt that the all-star wage he can undoubtedly command wouldn't be better spent on the next big thing, sort of thing.

The thing I still don't really get tho is: Millwall.

They have one of the lower wage bills in the division, so I'm just struggling to see them matching what we were offering. And if that's the case then, as noble as Joe Bryan may be, it's a bit mad to think that he's turned down a bigger offer at his hometown club to stay in London with a higher cost of living, on less money.

Maybe Milwall are matching our offer...in which case he'd have to be one of, if not their highest earner, I'd have thought. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree, I think he'd have looked at our squad and thought, where am I going to start games regularly with the emergence of Cam Pring, and plenty of strength in depth on the left side of midfield/forwards?

This for me is reason enough to not be too fussed about him not signing. Initially I was so keen for him to return.

But it would say a lot about his self-belief and mentality as a footballer if he’s having reservations over play time. If after playing in the Premier League and European football he still doesn’t back himself to make the LB position his own over Cam Pring, he clearly isn’t the signing we need regardless of his history and sentimentality of the deal.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They have one of the lower wage bills in the division, so I'm just struggling to see them matching what we were offering. And if that's the case then, as noble as Joe Bryan may be, it's a bit mad to think that he's turned down a bigger offer at his hometown club to stay in London with a higher cost of living, on less money.

Maybe Milwall are matching our offer...in which case he'd have to be one of, if not their highest earner, I'd have thought. 

Their wage bill has been steadily increasing, maybe they're set to sell Flemming as Burnley have been linked which could bring in millions which frees up some wage spending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe the length of the contract at Millwall is better then what we were offering

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Porto Red said:

Not what I was getting at at all. I wondered if he felt that the all-star wage he can undoubtedly command wouldn't be better spent on the next big thing, sort of thing.

So he is a Bristol City supporter then ? 

It seems a strange decision to turn down a return to his hometown club to go to another club at the same level.

Left wondering what the reasoning could be, potentially a longer deal, potentially doubts over the system we play and how he fits in, could potentially be due to the demand for our players to be adaptable in their positioning when faced with injuries/suspensions.

Impressed with how Nige and the club have handled it, maintained the respect when asked about it and it sounds as though there were multiple conversations, a decision not taken lightly. Whatever was involved in these conversations, they seem to have established that the move was not right for whatever reason which is far better to learn now than a few months into the contract.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

It seems a strange decision to turn down a return to his hometown club to go to another club at the same level.

Left wondering what the reasoning could be, potentially a longer deal, potentially doubts over the system we play and how he fits in, could potentially be due to the demand for our players to be adaptable in their positioning when faced with injuries/suspensions.

Impressed with how Nige and the club have handled it, maintained the respect when asked about it and it sounds as though there were multiple conversations, a decision not taken lightly. Whatever was involved in these conversations, they seem to have established that the move was not right for whatever reason which is far better to learn now than a few months into the contract.

Sounds all amicable, mature to me from both sides.  It may not be so beneath the surface who knows.

I’m sure in our own lives we’ve all had propositions on the table that seem ideal / “romantic”, but with a bit more thought have realised aren’t quite as idyllic as they seem, and we’ve then backed out of.

I don’t get the fuss, but that just me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Sounds all amicable, mature to me from both sides.  It may not be so beneath the surface who knows.

I’m sure in our own lives we’ve all had propositions on the table that seem ideal / “romantic”, but with a bit more thought have realised aren’t quite as idyllic as they seem, and we’ve then backed out of.

Agreed, these things happen. Some opportunities seem like a good move on the face of it but when thinking it over, they’re not always the right thing to do.

Credit to both for recognising that it may not have the benefits we were hoping for

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Contract length - it has to be.

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite right -

Didn't want to be part of the squad, per se - more a first choice start, if fit.

Very happy with the way we (Nigel) go about things, so for those whom this particular suit don't fit???......

Thanks, but no thanks ?

19 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I know of a woman who worked at City sleeping with 2 married City players a few years ago

19 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

You were in the room? 

That must have been a tad awkward...

Ménage a trois???....

Hopefully a safety net was part of the contract ?

9 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Must have missed it but where is the full interview ?

Unless BBCRB release the whole interview, then we will have to wait for a transcript from Bristol Post I guess.  Don’t think City Media team filmed it???

5 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

You were in the room? 

That must have been a tad awkward...

Are you Bradley Dack?

• Haha 1

• Admin
16 hours ago, BLRed said:

I’d like to know what was concerning him enough not to join?

genuinely can’t think of anything negative about joining City right now given we’re on the upward curve imo. A quality manager, a well grounded and competitive squad, better facilities since he was last here.

I can only guess his concern was over playing time at his stage in his career

Legacy and reputation

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed.

Would people rather he signed and then decided he didn't fancy it, or seen it as the easy option and coasted it for a couple of years?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Am I one of the few who is really rather relieved by this?  Apart from the fact that he’s 29 and has done very little since that playoff final, I’m very happy with Cam Pring who I think has the potential to be a better player than Joe Bryan.

Me too