IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

Not sure a combination of Nige not guaranteeing him a game every week, and us now not being the cosy coasty outfit we were when he left proved that appetising to Joe’s ego or current love for the game.

Some things are better left in the past. Be interesting to see how he goes this year for them.

59 minutes ago, Cardy said:

This is a really odd transfer in my opinion but hey ho.

2nd home game vs Millwall. We know his weaknesses & need our right side to run at him hard from the off. 
I can’t imagine he is very much looking forward to playing at AG as an away player & we certainly don’t want him to enjoy it on the day. COYRs.

We are away to millwall.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Would have been a good signing, but in some respects (and I'm not just saying this because he's gone elsewhere, I said it before) we are fairly well stocked down that side of the pitch.

Experience would have helped the likes of Pring, but if it wasn't right for him and/or us, then it's for the best that nothing happened.

He hasn't pulled up trees since he went, but can see why we were interested initially. He'll probably do fairly well at Millwall and good luck to him. Just hope he has two particularly bad games when they play us!

Yeah - I'm simultaneously a bit disappointed he's not coming back and confused as to where he would have fitted into the team if he had done so. Given Rowett's comments on his signing (i.e. that it freed up their current left back to play left centre-back) I wouldn't be shocked if Millwall had a much clearer plan for how and where they could use him - especially if Pearson was candid about the extent to which we could promise him regular football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Would have been a good signing, but in some respects (and I'm not just saying this because he's gone elsewhere, I said it before) we are fairly well stocked down that side of the pitch.

Experience would have helped the likes of Pring, but if it wasn't right for him and/or us, then it's for the best that nothing happened.

He hasn't pulled up trees since he went, but can see why we were interested initially. He'll probably do fairly well at Millwall and good luck to him. Just hope he has two particularly bad games when they play us!

Except winning promotion for fulham

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I hope one day we find out why he pulled out of coming back this summer. Leaves a bad taste. Best way to show him is finishing above Millwall. 

We don't know if he did pull out of coming back.  He was honest with his reservations about returning is all that's been said.  It could be that he was hoping the club could give him some reassurances about those reservations but instead decided to back out ourselves as we knew we couldn't give him the assurances he wanted.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I hope one day we find out why he pulled out of coming back this summer. Leaves a bad taste. Best way to show him is finishing above Millwall. 

It's already be stated why within this thread is you look closely 

One thing at least this thread can finally draw to a close now, and let everyone concentrate on the false Alex Scott nonsense 

Probably in the minority here but I’m really not bothered with him not signing for us and signing for Millwall. Good player no doubt and I loved his goals against the Gas and Man Utd, but some things are best left in the past. It clearly wasn’t a good match for us and him or the timing was wrong, so we move on. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

We don't know if he did pull out of coming back.  He was honest with his reservations about returning is all that's been said.  It could be that he was hoping the club could give him some reassurances about those reservations but instead decided to back out ourselves as we knew we couldn't give him the assurances he wanted.

Agree.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - I'm simultaneously a bit disappointed he's not coming back and confused as to where he would have fitted into the team if he had done so. Given Rowett's comments on his signing (i.e. that it freed up their current left back to play left centre-back) I wouldn't be shocked if Millwall had a much clearer plan for how and where they could use him - especially if Pearson was candid about the extent to which we could promise him regular football. 

I'd agree with that, Bryan signing could have caused us a few selection headaches, whilst simultaneously strengthening us in a few different areas. 

Disappointed he's not signed, but also not overly disappointed that he's not signed. It's a very strange feeling actually!

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Except winning promotion for fulham

Being a part of it yeah absolutely. I think Bryan's biggest issue was that he was rightly replaced by a superior player, and also had a few injury issues as well. 

I think he's still a top, top player and is an incredible signing for Millwall. As I said, it's a shame we didn't sign him again, but we're lucky in the fact that we aren't struggling for depth in the position(s) he plays.

We all move on, and at least that means that any potential money that would have been tied up in the Bryan deal, can now maybe used better in other places around the squad.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Taz said:

I'd agree with that, Bryan signing could have caused us a few selection headaches, whilst simultaneously strengthening us in a few different areas. 

Disappointed he's not signed, but also not overly disappointed that he's not signed. It's a very strange feeling actually!

Being a part of it yeah absolutely. I think Bryan's biggest issue was that he was rightly replaced by a superior player, and also had a few injury issues as well. 

I think he's still a top, top player and is an incredible signing for Millwall. As I said, it's a shame we didn't sign him again, but we're lucky in the fact that we aren't struggling for depth in the position(s) he plays.

We all move on, and at least that means that any potential money that would have been tied up in the Bryan deal, can now maybe used better in other places around the squad.

Well said. ??????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

If he had second thoughts and decided not to sign then logically his first thought would have been to sign. Otherwise his first thought would have been the same as his second thought so he wouldn't have needed to have second thoughts.

Those are my first thoughts but I may yet have second thoughts.?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was said earlier in the thread that if we were linked with another player the same age, with the same track record and on a free but wasn`t Joe Bryan we would have been overjoyed with the prospect.

I certainly said very similar.

I’m disappointed that Joe isn’t coming back…I think he would improve us.

Players change minds, clubs change minds.  To me it sounds like a grown-up conversation was had and a sensible decision was made.

I’m not gonna be bitter and twisted about it though.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Players change minds, clubs change minds.  To me it sounds like a grown-up conversation was had and a sensible decision was made.

I totally get the 'not wanting to go back' thing, it's good that he had conversations with Nige early and voiced those concerns. Bit disappointed, but how many have gone back to a club and it not worked as well as hoped?

Disappointed, but we had time to change targets , so no regrets.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

On 30/06/2023 at 21:11, Davefevs said:

You've no reason to be bitter and twisted, but besides NP's token comments we still have no idea what really happened and what motivated JB to go to Millwall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

You've no reason to be bitter and twisted, but besides NP's token comments we still have no idea what really happened and what motivated JB to go to Millwall.

Exactly, only thing we know for sure now is that he isn’t a die hard city fan. If he was he wouldn’t of been able to pass up on the opportunity to come back.

• Robin 1

56 minutes ago, mozo said:

No, wasn’t on about me, shit happens…but some seem to have to have got a bit upset by it!

53 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Exactly, only thing we know for sure now is that he isn’t a die hard city fan. If he was he wouldn’t of been able to pass up on the opportunity to come back.

It depends what he was offered. If he's been offered a 2 year contract & a guaranteed starting place with Millwall as opposed to possibly only a 1 year contract with us, it's understandable. 

12 hours ago, Chrizzler said:

It depends what he was offered. If he's been offered a 2 year contract & a guaranteed starting place with Millwall as opposed to possibly only a 1 year contract with us, it's understandable. 

Pearson said that the deal was going to be expensive from our perspective so I’m inclined to think that what you say is unlikely but obviously don’t know for sure.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2023 at 18:42, W-S-M Seagull said:

Personally for me he's burned his bridges with our fanbase. When he returns to Ashton Gate he won't get a round of applause from me. 

He agreed a deal with us and then for whatever reason he changed his mind. I don't like that sort of messing about. You don't agree a deal in the 1st instance if you have any doubts.

Yeah. This.

We don't want players with independent thinking skills and a considered view on where they earn their living.

• Thanks 2