IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

21 hours ago, Chrizzler said:

It depends what he was offered. If he's been offered a 2 year contract & a guaranteed starting place with Millwall as opposed to possibly only a 1 year contract with us, it's understandable. 

This.

59 minutes ago, RedM said:

This.

Again nobody should be guaranteed a starting place if your off form you don't start,If that's what he wanted then he doesn't belong at city one of our own or not. You fight to keep your place if he wants a guaranteed place that means he wants it easy. 

Edited by Street red
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall
57 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Didn't realise SE London counted as "abroad"

Always read as supposition to me, reports on a move abroad based on little more than a take on his personality, and where he spent some of last season.

Whatever, ending up at Millwall is a really surprising outcome, and as I'm not a fan of Millwall, and they're divisional rivals, there's no particular reason to wish him success there.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Joe Bryan is going to be the most un-Millwall player ever to play for Millwall. 

Who was the one we sold to them a few years back who always wore the Alice band in his hair.  I still think he takes that accolade.

On 30/06/2023 at 19:54, chinapig said:

If he had second thoughts and decided not to sign then logically his first thought would have been to sign. Otherwise his first thought would have been the same as his second thought so he wouldn't have needed to have second thoughts.

Those are my first thoughts but I may yet have second thoughts.?

Never go back, how often has a returning player after long absence worked out.

Good luck Joe and thanks for the memories

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Its a shame he did not choose us. But we move on. Millwall having a strong transfer window, couls make the play offs.

If one of the reasons he didn't return was he was less than enamoured by some of our fans abuse of him at times, I just hope he has 11 out of 10 performances at New Den or get some industrial strength ear defenders !

A bit from JB here on why he decided not to join us - basically he wasn’t sure that it would be right to go back; understandable - people often say ‘never go back’ - and the right call if any doubt in my view.

Millwall signing Joe Bryan on striking balance of life away from football, his release by Fulham and why Bristol City return didn’t feel right – South London News

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, eardun said:

A bit from JB here on why he decided not to join us - basically he wasn’t sure that it would be right to go back; understandable - people often say ‘never go back’ - and the right call if any doubt in my view.

Millwall signing Joe Bryan on striking balance of life away from football, his release by Fulham and why Bristol City return didn’t feel right – South London News

As others have said previously, looks like (quite rightly), he wasn’t going to be guaranteed game time 

2 hours ago, eardun said:

Interesting that on one hand he said “I’d had a pretty easy ride up until then [joining Fulham]. I’d played about 250 or 300 games before I joined”… only to go on to say “my next move wasn’t about anything other than playing 35+ games a season”. So, he left us because he had it easy and he joined Millwall because he wants it easy? Not sure how that works

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eardun said:

So glad we never re-signed him reading that..............dodged a bullet for sure . I never really thought his life was in football (even when here), now after reading that, I'm sure .

• Like 2

It’s just a job to him and I’ve no problem with that.

I think lots of us assumed because he’s from the area and came up through the ranks here, that he was one of us and would love to come back. but he isn’t one of us, and he’s no different to any other player lining up against us this season imo.

he’s just a rich kid who happened to be good at football.

Edited by milo1111
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

I just read it as he fancied staying abroad somewhere, but nothing came about, was chatting seriously with us, but felt that coming back would be a backward step in what he was hoping for…further confirmed by he wanted to play lots of games, something that would be difficult with Pring.

Now, of course we can speculate, and OTIB has (that’s its MO really, no issues there ), but with lots of conflicting stuff:

• he’s been given a crap offer, no wonder he doesn’t want to come back, how stupid are City to think they can get him on the cheap….to….he’ll be on too much for a squad player / back up, we don’t want a player like that.  Nige said he’d be an expensive signing.
  • he’s coming back for an easy life, gonna steal a wage…to…he won’t come back if he’s not starting every week…to…I hope it doesn’t mean Pring is off.
  • the move abroad stuff was bullshit…to…Bryan confirming that’s what hoped for.

To me, it just sounds like from both Joe and Nige that both sensibly decided that this wasn’t the right move.  And what is wrong with signing for a club where you feel you have a better chance of starting regularly?  I’d take the positive out of that as a city fan, that our 14th placed team’s left back is gonna be better than the 8th placed team’s left back.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1