IGNORED

Bristol city club song

roddy-d

10 hours ago, Harry said:

In all fairness, I actually do think a new ‘anthem’ is required. 
As much as I love our heritage and connection with the Wurzels, I think their songs have a place within the ‘terrace culture’ but I don’t actually think they are “anthemic” enough. 
And I also enjoy the Red Red Robin but again it’s not truly “anthemic”. 

I think it’s a part of our club that is missing. Many of the bigger or indeed more successful clubs all seem to have some kind of anthem - it seems to give a better club identity (and definitely gives the tv companies something to feature whenever these clubs are shown live - I mean, Sky have even been fawning this season over Forest’s ridiculous Mull of Kintyre nonsense)

As much as we all love the wurzels, it doesn’t make for a serious anthem. 
As well as ‘onfield’ stuff, I think we also need to have something more modern and truly anthemic ‘off the field’ too. 

We could capture the "identity" and "modern" and "anthemic" elements you refer to there by perhaps considering adopting Adele's 'Someone Like You.'

So that, when we sell Alex Scott/Josh Brownhill/Adam Webster we just go right back out there with our top top notch recruitment set-up and replace the bas-tards with someone like them. In fact, we don't even always wait till they clear off with some other hunkier fella and we proactively find "someone like" our best before they bugger off (Bobby Reid/Gustav Engvall).

It's our "identity" selling our best then finding someone, er, like them; it's "modern" the kids will know it; it's "anthemic" even yer granny will know it.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t we almost sign Trevor Francis….that would’ve made the Trevor Francis Tracksuit line fit nicely?

I remember someone saying when he was murdering us every time we lost to the Brum scum, that Trevor Francis was at City as a schoolboy. But got nicked by BCFC, Midlands version. 

@Davefevs

12 hours ago, Harry said:

In all fairness, I actually do think a new ‘anthem’ is required. 
As much as I love our heritage and connection with the Wurzels, I think their songs have a place within the ‘terrace culture’ but I don’t actually think they are “anthemic” enough. 
And I also enjoy the Red Red Robin but again it’s not truly “anthemic”. 

I think it’s a part of our club that is missing. Many of the bigger or indeed more successful clubs all seem to have some kind of anthem - it seems to give a better club identity (and definitely gives the tv companies something to feature whenever these clubs are shown live - I mean, Sky have even been fawning this season over Forest’s ridiculous Mull of Kintyre nonsense)

As much as we all love the wurzels, it doesn’t make for a serious anthem. 
As well as ‘onfield’ stuff, I think we also need to have something more modern and truly anthemic ‘off the field’ too. 

Agree wholeheartedly, and some of our chants need work too. I can't remember the last decent chant we had for a player? Maybe Diedhiou's.

The bigger clubs get their new songs going in pubs before and it translates to the terraces, problem is there's no pubs in BS3 that have that sort of atmsophere in before on a matchday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo123 said:

Agree wholeheartedly, and some of our chants need work too. I can't remember the last decent chant we had for a player? Maybe Diedhiou's.

The bigger clubs get their new songs going in pubs before and it translates to the terraces, problem is there's no pubs in BS3 that have that sort of atmsophere in before on a matchday.

I’m feeling very old now ?‍♂️ Jacki was the most skilful player I’ve seen. He was amazing to watch.

that’s why he had okey dokey song ?‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Currently on holiday and reading " Wedlock - The First Hero Of Bristol City " and it mentions, from 1906, our promotion to Division 1, City's club song " Play up, Play up Bristol City". Wonder what that sounded like?

Probably the same as the Pompey version.

On 25/05/2023 at 00:31, TBW said:

I always liked House of The Rising Sun by The Animals. Has a similar tone to it to Never Walk Alone, just edit a few words...

"There is a team way down in South Bristol

They call the red robins

And they've been the ruin of many a poor boy

And God, I know I'm one."

Over my years supporting the City, I think "We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place" would sometimes be more apt.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 13:22, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Currently on holiday and reading " Wedlock - The First Hero Of Bristol City " and it mentions, from 1906, our promotion to Division 1, City's club song " Play up, Play up Bristol City". Wonder what that sounded like?

Glad to help. I am the author of the Wedlock book. It is a very, very famous tune, called - originally - "Tramp! Tramp! Tramp! (The boys are marching)" - from the American Civil War, 1861 - 1865. With the words changed of course.

More modern version - "We're on the march with Ally's army" (Scotland's 1978 World Cup song) and for a more modern version again, (which we could apply to Bristol City at Wembley, 1986, for example) - 

"We're on the march with Terry's army,

We're all going to Wembley -

And we'll really shake em up

When we win the............Cup,

And City are the greatest football team...."

You just apply the words "Play up, play up Bristol City" in place of "We're on the march with Terry's army"

and go on from there. David Woods (club historian) has the full set of 1906 lyrics in one of his books, though I can't remember which one off hand 

Darren Hurley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, Tricky Woo said:

Glad to help. I am the author of the Wedlock book. It is a very, very famous tune, called - originally - "Tramp! Tramp! Tramp! (The boys are marching)" - from the American Civil War, 1861 - 1865. With the words changed of course.

More modern version - "We're on the march with Ally's army" (Scotland's 1978 World Cup song) and for a more modern version again, (which we could apply to Bristol City at Wembley, 1986, for example) - 

"We're on the march with Terry's army,

We're all going to Wembley -

And we'll really shake em up

When we win the............Cup,

And City are the greatest football team...."

You just apply the words "Play up, play up Bristol City" in place of "We're on the march with Terry's army"

and go on from there. David Woods (club historian) has the full set of 1906 lyrics in one of his books, though I can't remember which one off hand 

Darren Hurley.

• Like 1