IGNORED

complete pitch renovation

Antman

Seemingly confirmed in the EP article about future gigs.

i'm glad it's happening, I was surprised how ragged it looked on occasion this season, i thought it would have a longer life span but suppose both Football and Rugby takes it's toll.

and presumanbly you can only mow the plastic inserts so many times?

25 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Desso pitches have a lifespan of 15 years I think? When was ours installed? 

A Desso pitch is a full artificial pitch used for indoor training or outdoor high usage, it is a brand there are others who perform similar (SIS for example). Most top pitches are a hybrid system and indeed ordinarily would give over 10 years of service. Most prem clubs use this. The technology options have changed a little since we installed ours but these pitches are a mix say 5% artificial fibre with 95% grass. When AG was installed, if you could imagine a hair transplant sewing device, a machine inserted each fibre, slowly moving across the pitch area at slow speed, threading in the fibre to a mesh. This is very slow and makes it hard to repair any worn areas, though durability is seen as a prime attibute. AG looked worn out last season. 

Maybe we will move to the alternative technology where you can grow the grass off-site, and then bring it in and roll it out. This is particularly useful for dual use where goalmouths get worn and certain rugby areas from scrummage. This is used more and more by many top clubs. It would reduce the lifespan, but be more flexible (you can repair rapidly) and reduces install time. It is pretty sure the media team will update when work begins.

A considerable expense in any case. Though nothng beats the Spurs pitch cost and design. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

35 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

A Desso pitch is a full artificial pitch used for indoor training or outdoor high usage, it is a brand there are others who perform similar (SIS for example). Most top pitches are a hybrid system and indeed ordinarily would give over 10 years of service. Most prem clubs use this. The technology options have changed a little since we installed ours but these pitches are a mix say 5% artificial fibre with 95% grass. When AG was installed, if you could imagine a hair transplant sewing device, a machine inserted each fibre, slowly moving across the pitch area at slow speed, threading in the fibre to a mesh. This is very slow and makes it hard to repair any worn areas, though durability is seen as a prime attibute. AG looked worn out last season. 

Maybe we will move to the alternative technology where you can grow the grass off-site, and then bring it in and roll it out. This is particularly useful for dual use where goalmouths get worn and certain rugby areas from scrummage. This is used more and more by many top clubs. It would reduce the lifespan, but be more flexible (you can repair rapidly) and reduces install time. It is pretty sure the media team will update when work begins.

A considerable expense in any case. Though nothng beats the Spurs pitch cost and design. 

Isn't there some pitch for some sport where they can roll a while new pitch out under a stand.  Or is this some weird ( and very dull) dream I had? ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Isn't there some pitch for some sport where they can roll a while new pitch out under a stand.  Or is this some weird ( and very dull) dream I had? ?

For Football, Spurs has something like that (albeit in sections). Real Madrid are planning a system to store the grass underground, to allow for concerts etc in their new stadium.

In terms of a full pitch sliding situation, the Las Vegas Raiders new stadium (Allegiant Stadium) has one. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

I'm not arguing about the fact of time span. But when we installed it, I had a good look at the Desso site, so that I could fully understand what it is, how it works, etc.

I believe that I read that the pitch had a life span of around seven to eight years. That would tally with what is now happening.

I'm not sure about this. I could have been reading about a different type of pitch within Desso's range. If I'm correct, so be it and if my very aged brain is playing tricks, then I'll accept it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

Sorry to have another thing to mention. Someore info on our pitch as installed.

The Desso brand pitch that was installed in Ashton Gate is not in any respect an artificial pitch.

An all grass pitch has one big weak spot in that any time the grass is kicked, it's possible that the grass roots are lifted out. Thus the bare patches that were there for decades since I started watching.

The Desso at Ashton Gate is grass into which, there are 20cm lengths of polypropylene strands, in other words a synthetic piece of string, that are inserted vertically into the grass, 2cms apart in both directions. The purpose is for the grass roots to entwine into. This minimises the "kicking up" of grass w roots which as previously stated, kills the grass. With this Desso type, the roots will grow more grass to replace the damaged tuft. Hence why we had and will have again, what a Bath rugby fan called a billiard table.

I also understand that the undersoil heating is solely to keep the ground temperature high enough in very cold weather, that the grass will continue to grow. Maybe the extreme cold weather in November/December with night temperatures much lower than we've had for a very long time, was a significant factor in the deterioration of the pitch this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

The Desso brand pitch that was installed in Ashton Gate is not in any respect an artificial pitch.

An all grass pitch has one big weak spot in that any time the grass is kicked, it's possible that the grass roots are lifted out. Thus the bare patches that were there for decades since I started watching.

The Desso at Ashton Gate is grass into which, there are 20cm lengths of polypropylene strands, in other words a synthetic piece of string, that are inserted vertically into the grass, 2cms apart in both directions. The purpose is for the grass roots to entwine into. This minimises the "kicking up" of grass w roots which as previously stated, kills the grass. With this Desso type, the roots will grow more grass to replace the damaged tuft. Hence why we had and will have again, what a Bath rugby fan called a billiard table.

I also understand that the undersoil heating is solely to keep the ground temperature high enough in very cold weather, that the grass will continue to grow. Maybe the extreme cold weather in November/December with night temperatures much lower than we've had for a very long time, was a significant factor in the deterioration of the pitch this season.

3 concerts on that pitch last summer. The last being on the 26th June. Plus lots of UWE graduations that were delayed because of covid. Stages constantly being erected and brought back down. Lots of footfall over it. Our first home game was 6th August. To renovate a pitch and get it back into good order in that short a time was a big feat. It wouldn’t have helped with the durability going forward.

Im in the trade btw 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Just to clarify. Desso brand is a fully synthetic pitch (https://www.dessosports.com) Desso Technologies developed the hybrid system as used at AG (Grassmaster and Playmaster are the brands https://www.grassmastersolutions.com/en).  The owner of the technology is Tarkett who has been making all sorts of flooring and coverings, long before sports pitches.  There are others who supply similar hybrid solutions. 

In any case, the AG pitch started looking worn before the normal lifespan of a Grassmaster pitch. Grounds professionals can best explain why. Usage, recovery time, drainage, light, air, sun etc all good horticultural factors. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

3 concerts on that pitch last summer. The last being on the 26th June. Plus lots of UWE graduations that were delayed because of covid. Stages constantly being erected and brought back down. Lots of footfall over it. Our first home game was 6th August. To renovate a pitch and get it back into good order in that short a time was a big feat. It wouldn’t have helped with the durability going forward.

Im in the trade btw 

The pitch was re-seeded last summer just like it is every summer. 

The issue with the pitch last season was most likely due to the huge amounts of rain we had. 

• Like 3

On 31/05/2023 at 15:58, 22A said:

The club could raise funds here by selling off a square yard or metre to fans wanting a bit of AG in their garden.

I'd have the bloody lot, nothing but dandelions in mind, nice bit of grass would be welcome. 

On 31/05/2023 at 15:58, 22A said:

The club could raise funds here by selling off a square yard or metre to fans wanting a bit of AG in their garden.

Too late, every blade of grass has gone as of yesterday.

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not personally, but know people that are.

I know where this is leading, do you personally think there wasn't sufficient time to have the grass in place?

Plenty of time for seed to germinate. Not much time for root development which leads to strong and healthy grass. It’s why I think the ground stuff deserve a pat on the back. 

if you’re on Twitter it’s worth following a couple of the ground staff. Some good stuff on there.

Dan Sparks and Chris Fox

Enjoy your weekend ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Plenty of time for seed to germinate. Not much time for root development which leads to strong and healthy grass. It’s why I think the ground stuff deserve a pat on the back. 

if you’re on Twitter it’s worth following a couple of the ground staff. Some good stuff on there.

Dan Sparks and Chris Fox

Enjoy your weekend ?

Thank you for the reply, I have recently deactivated my account, but when back on I will 100% give them a follow

Likewise, enjoy the lovely weather

• Like 1