IGNORED

complete pitch renovation

Antman

A slight detour into cricket (though there are references to and overlaps with football) but this piece brings home what a highly technical job pitch preparation is these days. Note the following:

He has all the kit: a lighting rig – second-hand, previously owned by Barcelona – to encourage the grass to grow, a tool called a Clegg impact hammer to measure the compaction levels of the soil (he will be looking for a Clegg reading of 240 on Friday morning), and a Trimble meter to test the chlorophyl profile of the grass (around 25% is ideal).

He will measure the height and density of the grass and the ground’s moisture level (30% or so is the sweet spot).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/10/the-ashes-cricket-ben-stokes-edgbaston

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chinapig said:

A slight detour into cricket LJ’s back garden (though there are references to and overlaps with football) but this piece brings home what a highly technical job pitch preparation is these days. Note the following:

He has all the kit: a lighting rig – second-hand, previously owned by Barcelona – to encourage the grass to grow, a tool called a Clegg impact hammer to measure the compaction levels of the soil (he will be looking for a Clegg reading of 240 on Friday morning), and a Trimble meter to test the chlorophyl profile of the grass (around 25% is ideal).

He will measure the height and density of the grass and the ground’s moisture level (30% or so is the sweet spot).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/10/the-ashes-cricket-ben-stokes-edgbaston

Fixed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So why did he need to measure it?

I think the real issue with LJ is why he felt the need to let everyone know stuff like this constantly. For me, he was a good coach and sometimes a good manager. His real issue was starting to think everything was about a 1:1 managerial duel game to game rather than picking tactics and a style that worked and sticking with them. He is a little too focused on himself as a coach rather than us as a team. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

This pitch won't be 4G or whatever the technology is, it's a new method known as the DecaTilson.

Surely it'll be 5g with Bluetooth, wireless and European roaming capability.

• Haha 1

On 31/05/2023 at 12:03, Antman said:

Seemingly confirmed in the EP article about future gigs.

i'm glad it's happening, I was surprised how ragged it looked on occasion this season, i thought it would have a longer life span but suppose both Football and Rugby takes it's toll.

and presumanbly you can only mow the plastic inserts so many times?

I remember reading the Desso website when the first one was under construction and it stated that the life expectancy at the time was around 8 to 10 years. So nine years is bang in the middle and thus it's nowt to do with how many matches were played on it per season. Maybe the very wet and very cold weather last winter hastened it's replacement but may not have. Just the right life span for it.

It was always the plan to replace it this season. Hence only the one concert being held at AG this year. The planning of hosting these events takes well over a year, with tickets going on sale about 6/8 months prior. Therefore, planning the events would be happening now for next season and ultimately the planning for the events this year would have been done at the end of 21/22 season. Only booking the one at the end of May means it was always the plan to have it redone. 

The fact the pitch looked crap at times this season, was in essence good timing.