IGNORED

Champions league final

Just now, BCFCGav said:

It’s nice to see how many people are happy for them but this isn’t the beautiful story some are telling. 115 financial breaches - the repercussions would kill off a ‘non-elite’ club.

If I'm honest watching it I keep thinking money something feels wrong about it. 

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

It’s nice to see how many people are happy for them but this isn’t the beautiful story some are telling. 115 financial breaches - the repercussions would kill off a ‘non-elite’ club.

Yeah it's certainly no Fairy Tale.

I mean I take my hat off- as well as the finances they are very well run, impeccably so- Pep is a top class coach, a productive academy certainly profitable on player sales but there is a large asterix too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Pleased for Man City fans, before the money come in they’d always have been considered a great fan base. Nothing more boring than the mocking of their support for lacking numbers, which isn’t true anyway.

Always seemed a good bunch whenever I’ve come across them on holiday etc. They’d almost always talk more about their days when they were shite than they will modern times. Will be a great night for them tonight. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I think people might be pleased for the fans (long term ones ) and their team on the pitch but yes there will be that nagging feeling is it all fair ?

But then if it wasn’t  Man City  be someone else 

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Pleased for Man City fans, before the money come in they’d always have been considered a great fan base. Nothing more boring than the mocking of their support for lacking numbers, which isn’t true anyway.

Always seemed a good bunch whenever I’ve come across them on holiday etc. They’d almost always talk more about their days when they were shite than they will modern times. Will be a great night for them tonight. 

Yup, that's my experience of them as well - pleased for them.

Would also say that Man City and Pep always respect their opposition and the competition they're in. We've played then three times and each time they've put out a strong side and been completely professional.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

I think people might be pleased for the fans (long term ones ) and their team on the pitch but yes there will be that nagging feeling is it all fair ?

But then if it wasn’t  Man City  be someone else 

Yes somewhat conflicted on it. Great players, great team- Pep clearly a top top coach, some beautiful football and obviously very well run, academy and all.

115 charges however was it. That is quite the question even if a lot of them were perhaps on the way up rather than the present.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

For me I lost any sympathy for Inter during the game because of their injury fakes. I can't watch that, we saw similar in the World Cup from some players.

They need to tap into the spirit of this guy:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-65865904

Di Marco was the worst. Minimum of two 'falls'. Didn't think they were too bad with it however overall. Compare it to Roma v Sevilla e.g.

46 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

They've not been found guilty of those charges. 

Chelsea have proven that throwing money around doesn't guarantee success. What Man City have done in a footballing sense is truly incredible.

Man City don't even throw money around either so it can't be argued that they brought the league. Haaland - 50 million, Akanji - 30 million, Alverez - 15 million etc etc etc. 

What superstars have Man City brought? 

The elite just hate it that a real working class club (with some financial backing) have scaled to the very top of world football and are now immortal. 

Just let the proper Man City fans enjoy their success. We'd all be in dreamland too if it happened to our club.

• Like 5

Well done Man City, good for an English Club to win again just a pity about the ownership/finance issues that sours it somewhat for me.

Thought Stones was a MoM candidate. Pep has transformed him from a liability into a more than capable performer on one of the World’s biggest football stages. That shows why he’s the world’s best manager. 

Thought Haaland was pretty anonymous though. Begin to wonder if top European defences might have sussed how to contain him. Also thought the Man City fans seemed pretty quiet for most of the night.

Will be interesting to see what penalties will be imposed on any breaches they’re found guilty on. 

16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Chelsea have proven that throwing money around doesn't guarantee success. What Man City have done in a footballing sense is truly incredible.

Man City don't even throw money around either so it can't be argued that they brought the league. Haaland - 50 million, Akanji - 30 million, Alverez - 15 million etc etc etc. 

The elite just hate it that a real working class club (with some financial backing) have scaled to the very top of world football and are now immortal. 

Just let the proper Man City fans enjoy their success. We'd all be in dreamland too if it happened to our club.

Part of me does agree. Lot of long suffering fans, tended to be well supported even when in the doldrums etc- prior to 2008 surely the working class side of Manchester too.

Otoh the early days they posted some record losses. I know a business strategy etc can eat major losses to turn it into a profitable enterprise medium to long run but some big losses and fees thrown around certainly. Think they spent rather a lot in 2017-18 without doubt although that said PSG are undoubtedly worse.

Innocent until proven guilty but until verifiably proven innocent then that question will linger.

Ortega Free (Yes I know backup only), Alvarez and to some extent Akanji strong pickups pound for pound. Haaland well there was a huge signing on or agents fee tbh.

Yes fans have suffered a lot, but otoh the reaction if some of them to UEFA charges and now, petulant and arrogant in the extreme. Ludicrous claims about cabal etc.

15 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I dunno man. When 115 charges are brought to your door something is clearly amiss! Factor in too it’s not all transfer fee. The Haaland deal for instance will come to a grand total of 160 million should he serve all 5 years. And he’s one of a few superstars they’ve bought. Ederson, Laporte, Dias… they may not have come from Europes elite clubs but their ability was well known and they weren’t cheap.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Don’t just look at the transfer fee mate,Haaland will earn quad what his transfer fee was at least through wages in a season 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I lean towards this side of the argument on the financial stuff. The FFP rules were put in place primarily to prevent newcomers from spending their way to the top. The rules are arbitrary and weren't even a thing 10-15 years ago so I don't take them too seriously. There is no asterix against their successes for me.

I haven't seen them play that poorly for a while and was more impressed with Inter on the night. Of course only the result matters so fair play to them and their supporters.

• Like 1

Wages aren't usually included in the remuneration package however the fee plus agent or signing on fee seems quite fair to amortise.

Will restate my csse, 2008-2014, 2008-2015 very very suspect, 2015-present probably compliant certainly with PL regs. (£105m plus allowables in each 3 year period). Basically gap between possibly Inflated and real sponsorship still probably sees them comply with this rule.

6 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I lean towards this side of the argument on the financial stuff. The FFP rules were put in place primarily to prevent newcomers from spending their way to the top. The rules are arbitrary and weren't even a thing 10-15 years ago so I don't take them too seriously. There is no asterix against their successes for me.

I haven't seen them play that poorly for a while and was more impressed with Inter on the night. Of course only the result matters so fair play to them and their supporters.

Perfectly valid regulatory position although without FFP- and it is in some ways an artificial construct- what kind if squads could PSG and Man City hold and maintain.

Could e.g. Man City still have Zinchenko, Sterling, Jesus in addition. Depth insane.

PSG still retain last year Navas- depth again, Herrera, Wijnaldum, Gueye, Paredes, Di Maria, Icardi- post January Sarabia. Others too.

The numbers both could then rest for the League, to rotate with Team 1 and Team B.

What would the risk then be of Abu Dhabi v Qatar finals every year.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

Because they've been charged with over 100 breaches of financial rules. 

That's not spending to win, that's cheating. 

They've made the top division significantly worse. Without Liverpool for 4 years and Arsenal this it would be a farmers league like Ligue 1

Yeah lets bring Manu back to the top of the table with their small amount of money.

Hang on  thry might do it with some overseas investment. Can't wait.