IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Cardiff are financially a bit wobbly aren't they. If he went to them and we didn't match their wage offer I'd be pretty disappointed. 

We need an extra body who can play the two centre-half roles and he knows the team and city inside out. I'm still hopeful he signs.

Is there a genuine chance that may happen ? It seems awfully drawn out tbh

1 hour ago, Colemanballs said:

It makes me wonder why Jay Dasilva didn't wait until 1st August to sign for Coventry.

I can only guess because he wanted to go straight into pre-season and get his feet under the table.  He might not have taken a pay-cut or much of one either (guesswork).

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

I trust what you are saying is true.

You would think, if he signed for another club on 1st july, he would not be paid this.

First sentence - I don’t just make it up, standard contracts are one month severance.  There is a maximum though, which is double the maximum for unfair dismissal (currently £188k)…Kalas not quite on those numbers!

Second sentence - I gave exactly that answer in the two scenarios I gave.  No, he wouldn’t get paid severance.

53 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

I would say that they should be at least training (or working) at the club to get that money.... but I suspect most managers wouldn't want players who are leaving to be hanging around in pre-season. Do we think this is the same reason we've heard nothing about Massengo signing?

Why?  This isn’t working his notice….he’s ended his contract, he is no longer employed by the club.  It’s severance….not pay.  If he came in we’d have to pay him.  Hence why he’s staying fit privately.

You wouldn’t leave a job, get paid severance and expect to have to go to the office / factory every day would you?  It’s no different.

Ditto Massengo, although Han has always had his own personal trainer.

• Like 1

I do think that our offer is quite fair and if he were to accept it, and if his fitness has improved after the troubles of the laat two years he would be a great re-addition.

Sometimes it can be about luck and opportunities arising at certain times but had he gone up with Fulham in 2018 or got a move to a similar club thst summer, I certainly believe a fully fit in-form Kalas could have (prior to injuries) been comparable to a number of bottom third PL centre backs.

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Cardiff are financially a bit wobbly aren't they. If he went to them and we didn't match their wage offer I'd be pretty disappointed. 

We need an extra body who can play the two centre-half roles and he knows the team and city inside out. I'm still hopeful he signs.

How hungry is he to play for us?

He’s almost missed the whole of pre season now & shopped around all summer for a new club. 

If he re-signs, I won’t be too disappointed because he is a good player, but I feel like if he comes back here it’s because we’re the final resort. 

Edited by Carey 6
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

He’s almost missed the whole of pre season now & shopped around all summer for a new club. 

If he re-signs, I won’t be too disappointed because he is a good player, but I feel like if he comes back here it’s because we’re the final resort. 

Yeah, I feel the same as you. I'm torn now as like you say, I'd always have at the back of my mind that he's only here because he couldn't get more money. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Who cares. If he re signs and can prove his fitness it will be another very good centre back option without having to get the cheque book out again in terms of a fee . We all know he always gives 110% for the club when he plays so that’s not an issue for me.

Edited by RedEyez
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I know what you mean….but then I think of Andi Weimann. Who did pretty much the same, and came back to score a hatful of goals. 

22 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I agree and in a normal workplace the optics of that aren't great.

Kalas is at a different stage of career compared to Taylor Moore who took a pay cut but wanted to prove himself with a career that had many years left in.

When Weimann took his pay-cut in the aftermath of his long term ACL injury he couldn't , in his wildest dreams, have expected to have the best season [21/22] of his career.  Is he going to join the long list of players who cost the club a fee to leave for nothing next summer.

Nahki has handled himself impeccably the whole time he has been here - sensible over his contract, didn't moan when he was left out of the team / played out of position, and been a good role model for the youngsters - how much of Tommy Conway's development is down to him? 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Weimann signed a new contract in June and turned up for pre-season training.

OK…not exactly the same, but just trying to be glass half full, that’s all ?

Seriously, as I said, I have those concerns. But at the end of the day he’s a professional, and he’s a very good defender. I certainly wouldn’t be sorry if he stayed. 

34 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

25 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Who cares. If he re signs and can prove his fitness it will be another very good centre back option without having to get the cheque book out again in terms of a fee . We all know he always gives 110% for the club when he plays so that’s not an issue for me.

The two sides of the argument.  I liked both posts.  It’s why I am just gonna accept what happens, whichever it is.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, italian dave said:

OK…not exactly the same, but just trying to be glass half full, that’s all ?

Seriously, as I said, I have those concerns. But at the end of the day he’s a professional, and he’s a very good defender. I certainly wouldn’t be sorry if he stayed. 

I'm completely with you, 100%.

Just resigned (not re-signed!!!!!!) myself to the fact that he'll find a better offer elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

The two sides of the argument.  I liked both posts.  It’s why I am just gonna accept what happens, whichever it is.

I’d also accept whatever happens, because like I said ultimately he is a good player. But I would’ve preferred if he committed to us day one & did pre season with all the other players. Can’t replicate the conditions in Austria again.

For what it’s worth, I’m not sure Pearson is the sort of man to leave a contract offer on the table this long is he? Has he mentioned anything to do with it recently? Must admit I’ve switched off more from City related stuff this summer than I have done previous years.

• Like 1

Understand the severance situation, but... if the club wanted to re-sign him & get him involved with pre-season they could just as easily roll the severance amount into a new contract either upfront or amortized so he's not out of pocket.

This suggests he's probably not coming back, has something in the pipeline elsewhere, or is either hoping/trying to & we are the fallback option.

In which case I hope the club pulls up the drawbridge & moves on with any other options we may have in the pipeline too - Kalas returning would be a last resort for all involved, which may well be what's happening. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why?  This isn’t working his notice….he’s ended his contract, he is no longer employed by the club.  It’s severance….not pay.  If he came in we’d have to pay him.  Hence why he’s staying fit privately.

You wouldn’t leave a job, get paid severance and expect to have to go to the office / factory every day would you?  It’s no different.

Ditto Massengo, although Han has always had his own personal trainer.

I guess it's more for the fact that his contract has ended, he's decided not to renew, yet we still have to pay him severance. I could understand it if we had fired him or let him go, but I can't think of many jobs that would pay you another month after you decided to leave.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

I guess it's more for the fact that his contract has ended, he's decided not to renew, yet we still have to pay him severance. I could understand it if we had fired him or let him go, but I can't think of many jobs that would pay you another month after you decided to leave.

It’s a history thing.  Back in the day, before the summer transfer window hype we see today, players would go OOC and nobody would pick them until much later.  Clubs themselves had no income over the summer so wouldn’t commit to signing anyone straightaway either.  So players had no wage over the summer.  So they introduced the severance payout.

Even further back in time, players had a season wage and a reduced summer wage (almost like a retainer).

I’d argue at the top levels it seems unnecessary but there are probably many a player outside top ends this summer very grateful of a month’s severance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RedEyez said:

Yeah exactly. Maximising your earnings is pretty normal and doesn’t reflect on anyone in their jobs. Unless you think your employer would be heartbroken to learn you would quit your job if another company offered to double your wages. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a history thing.  Back in the day, before the summer transfer window hype we see today, players would go OOC and nobody would pick them until much later.  Clubs themselves had no income over the summer so wouldn’t commit to signing anyone straightaway either.  So players had no wage over the summer.  So they introduced the severance payout.

Even further back in time, players had a season wage and a reduced summer wage (almost like a retainer).

I’d argue at the top levels it seems unnecessary but there are probably many a player outside top ends this summer very grateful of a month’s severance.

I didn't know that. :) Now it makes sense. Thank you for enlightening me. :)

So we hang on for TK (leave the contract on the table and play him in the final game despite the fact that he hadn’t committed to the club) but bin off HNM halfway through a season because he wouldn’t re-sign. This smacks of double standards to me. 
People will doubtless say the situation is different (‘I might re-sign’; ‘I won’t re-sign’), but I can’t see how in principle. (‘I can’t commit to you, Mr NP.’)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ian M said:

To be fair, at this point I think I'd rather go with Araoye and Knight-Lebel and save the wage anyway.

They do look good prospects but the other side of that argument is this, they have just looked good against Newport County & a second string Oxford side.

Atkinson is coming back from an ACL injury, so him being available for selection any time before late September looks to be a bonus.

Naismith was only fit for just over half of last season’s games & has already missed several in pre season.

Both Dickie & Vyner do have really good availability records but if either is missing we are switching players (Pring, McCrorie) to play them not in their best position.

In September we go to Leicester, Stoke come here then before the international break we visit Rotherham & Leeds in the same week. I really wouldn’t want (or expect) the two you have mentioned to be involved in games like that.

I am completely baffled by the Kalas situation, maybe he is banking the last big months’ money from us before making his next move, but if he was staying he could do that & still turn up to training so I do think he’s not coming back. Whatever way it goes if we get to the Preston game & he hasn’t committed surely we will move on.

• Like 1