IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bloody facts, getting in the way again.

I’m still on the fence with this one but if it is going to happen surely it will be this week.

Also worth pointing out regarding the fitness bit that he’s been working with a PT all summer & Timm Klose came straight in after signing in January’22 having not had a club for longer & did fine.

If it was a midfielder, the lack of pre-season would have a greater impact imo. As a CB, not so much.

I wouldn't have any worries about his fitness tbh, he's experienced enough to know what he has to do to be fit to play. And a game or two at the HPC would get him match fit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

He was at Boro 7 years ago and Fulham 5. On your pod you are always talking about square pegs and round holes now you want a Centre back that hasn't played Full back for at least 5 years to come in as RB cover. Strange.

I don't recall that phrase passing through my lips but many times it has Ian's. 

With McCrorie out UFN, question marks around Tanner and in furtherance of getting your best players out on the pitch even if it isn't in THEIR preferred position then if he does come back I'd play him in that position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

With McCrorie out UFN, question marks around Tanner and in furtherance of getting your best players out on the pitch even if it isn't in THEIR preferred position then if he does come back I'd play him in that position.

Rather play Sykes there, personally.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Whilst I agree that Kalas could play full back with no problem, I don't think there are any question marks around Tanner, just a bit of a loss of form (at home as it stands).

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Has Tanner suddenly not become good enough?  He has some limitations going forward, although not as big as some would make out.  He was poor on Saturday, all-round.  Good in all aspects last week at Millwall though, and good defensively v Preston but poor with the ball.  So he’s had a right old mixed bag so far.  He’s still a steady RB in my eyes.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Has Tanner suddenly not become good enough?  He has some limitations going forward, although not as big as some would make out.  He was poor on Saturday, all-round.  Good in all aspects last week at Millwall though, and good defensively v Preston but poor with the ball.  So he’s had a right old mixed bag so far.  He’s still a steady RB in my eyes.

I dont get the hate on Tanner. 
I dont see him getting done defensively and yes, going forward hes limited, but lets face it hes had Cornick in front of him who offers sod all as a right winger!

We didnt seem to worry too much about RB when Bailey Wright was playing there so i dont think Tanner is playing badly at all to be honest. 
The team in general are poor. Lack of movement in midfield makes for a lot of the defences troubles for playing out as theyre looking at statues in midfield not showing for the ball. 

Edited by nickolas
  • Like 4

Just now, nickolas said:

I dont get the hate on Tanner. 
I dont see him getting done defensively and yes, going forward hes limited, but lets face it hes had Cornick in front of him who offers sod all as a right winger!

We didnt seem to worry too much about RB when Bailey Wright was playing there so i dont think Tanner is playing badly at all to be honest. 
The team in general are poor. Lack of movement in midfield makes for a lot lf the defence troubles for playing out as theyre looking at statues in midfield not showing for the ball. 

For me I think he’s had 2 poor home games but suggesting we are looking to replace him based on this & with McCrorie presumably going to be fit at some point is fantasy stuff that would see us have a first team squad of 35.

We are short at CB, we need to add In midfield, there is certainly a question as to whether one senior goalkeeper is enough (probably not), but this knee jerk hysteria is embarrassing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t at the Preston game but against Cheltenham pre season their left winger wiped the floor with him . He was constantly beaten by his man and couldn’t win header to save his life . I know it was only pre season but compared to his form at the end of last season I thought he was awful .

On 20/08/2023 at 11:20, Better Red said:

Kalas and Dickie would be a pretty strong and experienced back 2.

Would allow the full backs to bomb on something I have not seen yet.

Dropping our best player of the last 12 months (who's still with us anyway) or shifting him out of position is absolute madness.

Either Naismith or Cam will drop into the centre for Friday.  If it's Naismith then I'd better start topping up my blood pressure meds now!  Am I getting confuddled in my old age or has Tins suggested that CB could well be Prings ultimate position? If so, then him, with Roberts slotting in at LB would make more sense from a defensive point of view.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

He was at Boro 7 years ago and Fulham 5. On your pod you are always talking about square pegs and round holes now you want a Centre back that hasn't played Full back for at least 5 years to come in as RB cover. Strange.

Surely it's just sensible? With RM out for an unknown period of time having someone that could play RB as well as CB should Tanner get injured or suspended makes sense. Nobodies suggesting he's being signed as a RB option unless there's a problem. Much like Sykes Vyner or Bell (this now seems madness) playing there in a pinch. 
Ultimately he's a very good defender at this level and if anyone's looking at that position in the free agent market then he's probably near the top of the list. If he's willing to sign reduced terms and everyone's happy then what's the problem? Give me a Kalas who knows the club, manager, players etc anyway over a Marriapa or Klose

25 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Wasn`t a lot of that down to Marley Watkins breaking his jaw/cheekbone or have I got my seasons muddled up?

Almost certainly the season of the Watkins incident, but he must have missed matches due to other injuries too.

Pretty sure his jaw injury didn't rule him out for half the season.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Dropping our best player of the last 12 months (who's still with us anyway) or shifting him out of position is absolute madness.

Either Naismith or Cam will drop into the centre for Friday.  If it's Naismith then I'd better start topping up my blood pressure meds now!  Am I getting confuddled in my old age or has Tins suggested that CB could well be Prings ultimate position? If so, then him, with Roberts slotting in at LB would make more sense from a defensive point of view.

Makes complete sense -

Naismith an accident waiting to happen at the back & is a far better option in midfield -

Roberts has looked excellent, so giving him a start at left back the correct move....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Personally, if one of my guys came to me and said "Boss, I'm going to leave. I can get more money elsewhere" then two months later came back and said "Can I have my old job back? No one wanted me" I'd not re-employ him. 

I tend to an agree.  I guess football contracts are different to most employees contracts, ie fixed term, though.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I tend to an agree.  I guess football contracts are different to most employees contracts, ie fixed term, though.

Yeah, it's a different world. I'd not be best chuffed that this potential approach to be taken back on the books came 4 games into the season. At least in Andi's case, it was resolved fairly rapidly. Given the time, I'd suggest Kalas's agent was actively touting his man around whereas perhaps with Weimann it was more of a bargaining position that didn't pay dividends - or perhaps did, we aren't privy to his pay discussions. 

Dickie is back soon, we also have Atkinson to return and younger defenders who can plug the gap. Naismith is not ideal in that role, but we know both he and King have played there as a stop-gap.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yeah, it's a different world. I'd not be best chuffed that this potential approach to be taken back on the books came 4 games into the season. At least in Andi's case, it was resolved fairly rapidly. Given the time, I'd suggest Kalas's agent was actively touting his man around whereas perhaps with Weimann it was more of a bargaining position that didn't pay dividends - or perhaps did, we aren't privy to his pay discussions. 

Dickie is back soon, we also have Atkinson to return and younger defenders who can plug the gap. Naismith is not ideal in that role, but we know both he and King have played there as a stop-gap.

Re Weimann a fair few of us heard that Stoke offered him a two year deal (on broadly similar terms) & the fact that we were prepared to offer three years to a player coming back from long term injury was what made him stay.

Seeing as the following season was his 22 goal one that’s definitely one decision that worked out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

At least Andi was sorted out before 30th June expiry (even Bakes was too).  This has dragged on too long.

Not so sure re Naismith.  He ended the season (last 3 games) playing LCB with ZV in a back 4 and was pretty good imho.  It also helped Pring go back to LB where we benefitted from his bursts forward.

On a completely “hindsight aside” (?) although Dickie has looked good at LCB2, could the his passing / positioning angles have slightly affected Pring?

I guess we might find out on Friday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At least Andi was sorted out before 30th June expiry (even Bakes was too).  This has dragged on too long.

Not so sure re Naismith.  He ended the season (last 3 games) playing LCB with ZV in a back 4 and was pretty good imho.  It also helped Pring go back to LB where we benefitted from his bursts forward.

On a completely “hindsight aside” (?) although Dickie has looked good at LCB2, could the his passing / positioning angles have slightly affected Pring?

I guess we might find out on Friday.

Pring is a really good full-back when being given the space to go forward, but on the back foot for too long, there's a mistake or three in him.  With Naismith I prefer him as a DM, allowing Williams a bit more freedom to make his mark further up.

As you know I'd prefer a new advanced central midfielder altogether (as would you, I believe). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Pring is a really good full-back when being given the space to go forward, but on the back foot for too long, there's a mistake or three in him.  With Naismith I prefer him as a DM, allowing Williams a bit more freedom to make his mark further up.

As you know I'd prefer a new advanced central midfielder altogether (as would you, I believe). 

Although not a no10, I’d probably use the term an attack-minded CM.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Personally, if one of my guys came to me and said "Boss, I'm going to leave. I can get more money elsewhere" then two months later came back and said "Can I have my old job back? No one wanted me" I'd not re-employ him. 

This seems particularly harsh! Surely it was more like,

”So, Tomas, do you want to stay, we’d like you to… “

”Great, yes please, I’m happy here”

”Fine, how does 50% of your current pay sound”

”Ah, well, perhaps I’d better check if that’s the best available first “

18 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The fact that City are reducing their wage bill cannot be a surprise to Tomas.

No issue with anyone seeking better terms, but it would've helped his cause if he'd done that weeks ago, rather than coming back after the season has started and a replacement has been bought and saying "Sorry, it appears I can't earn what my agent said I could". 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Completely reasonable response.

However his contract ran out on June 30th, his month’s pay in lieu of notice ran out on July 31st and next week it will be September.

He’s therefore had plenty of time to evaluate the market & we are within our rights to withdraw the offer (in reality we probably already had) & move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1