IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Hell yeah. Scheisse nul vier.

Poor Tomas, what a come down! :sad26:

BCFC and BvB. ?⚪?⚫

I've been to Gelsenkirchen and it’s not a place you'd want to spend much time in. The Ruhrgebeit is basically the Welsh Valleys. Slag heaps still present from the industrial era. 

But the same applies to Dortmund. 

Good luck to Tomas, I assume part of the appeal is a 1 hour drive to Koln Airport, 1hr 15m flight to Bristol, and 10m taxi to Long Ashton.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

a standard where he’ll continue to look a solid player.

Bundesliga 2!

I should bloody hope he will. 

He's basically gone to play for Derby or Pompey, a big club at a shit level, just because they've offered to pay him loads of money. 

So his Instagram was, after all, a  window to his soul - it's all about the money, the glamour, the expensive holidays, the cars. And the teeth. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bundesliga 2!

He's basically gone to play for Derby or Pompey, a big club at a shit level, just because they've offered to pay him loads of money. 

So his Instagram was, after all, a  window to his soul - it's all about the money, the glamour, the expensive holidays, the cars. And the teeth. 

Would argue its more like signing for Leeds than the clubs you mention, Schalke are a massive club and have far more significance than us historically. Can't knock Kalas for taking the opportunity over sitting on our bench on 50% of the wages

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Would argue its more like signing for Leeds than the clubs you mention, Schalke are a massive club and have far more significance than us historically. Can't knock Kalas for taking the opportunity over sitting on our bench on 50% of the wages

Yep, in terms of the number of members they are the second biggest club in Germany and their stadium capacity is over 60k. Why wouldn't he choose them over us?

46 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've been to Gelsenkirchen and it’s not a place you'd want to spend much time in. The Ruhrgebeit is basically the Welsh Valleys. Slag heaps still present from the industrial era. 

Good luck to Tomas, I assume part of the appeal is a 1 hour drive to Koln Airport, 1hr 15m flight to Bristol, and 10m taxi to Long Ashton.  

I expect their better paid players live somewhere nice.

Not an expert on that part of Germany but there will be somewhere.

48 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Yes. Let's not quibble about the choice of example club.

That's not the point I'm making. 

He'd rather go to a shit standard of football because of the money than play in the Championship. 

Fair enough. Thanks. 

Don't rush back. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Hmmm 1

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bundesliga 2 is probably though I don't watch it that often, seen it a few times in the past, the closest equivalent to the Championship of the European 2nd tiers. Has a host of medium to big clubs too again a similarity.

Schalke have had crowds of 60,000+ for their first 2 home games of the season. Crazy. 

• Like 2

Kalas was great pre injuries, especially in the loan season alongside Webster.

Two promotions two playoffs in 4 seasons at this level, prior to joining us and played very nicely v Man City..injury kinda wrecked him a bit here. International for a midranking European team too- if not for injuries etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

Schalke have had crowds of 60,000+ for their first 2 home games of the season. Crazy. 

SV Hamburg regularly have 50,000, too.

Germany is really the only country in Europe apart from England where aside from an occasional outlier (like Bordeaux) you get consistent huge attendances outside of the top flight.

Just had a look at the sides in it this season, apart from Hamburg & Schalke there’s the likes of Hertha Berlin, Fortuna Düsseldorf, Kaiserslautern, Hansa Rostock, St. Pauli & Hannover.

It’s a pretty decent league.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bundesliga 2 is probably though I don't watch it that often, seen it a few times in the past, the closest equivalent to the Championship of the European 2nd tiers. Has a host of medium to big clubs too again a similarity.

According to globalfootballrankings.com, (I have no idea of their quality of assessment), for last season The Championship was ranked 11th globally, and Bundesliga 2 was ranked 14th. These were consecutively the highest ranked tier two leagues. League One was ranked 28th.

I doubt if there is very much difference in Tomas Kalas joining Schalke and a top half Championship side.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bundesliga 2!

My dentist mate reckons his dentist told him to move abroad so's he won't have his face rearranged by Marley Watkins again

13 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes. Let's not quibble about the choice of example club.

That's not the point I'm making. 

He'd rather go to a shit standard of football because of the money than play in the Championship. 

Fair enough. Thanks. 

Don't rush back. 

What are you so wound up about? We offered him a contract, he didn't accept it, then went elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

My dentist mate reckons his dentist told him to move abroad so's he won't have his face rearranged by Marley Watkins again

Sound advice, I reckon. 

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

What are you so wound up about? We offered him a contract, he didn't accept it, then went elsewhere.

Chill mate, just a little joshing.

He does have lovely teeth, though. 

15 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't disagree, neither town / city is particularly appealing. Matchday in Dortmund is electric though.

Personally disappointed in him , we made him our captain and stood by him through his injuries and he was our highest paid player , we also stopped his merry go round of loans . Unless his new deal was absolute peanuts ( which I doubt it was ) thought he could have given us another year at least . 
then if he stayed fit and backed his ability could then have gone back to the board and demanded more 

2 minutes ago, redkev said:

Personally disappointed in him , we made him our captain and stood by him through his injuries and he was our highest paid player , we also stopped his merry go round of loans . Unless his new deal was absolute peanuts ( which I doubt it was ) thought he could have given us another year at least . 
then if he stayed fit and backed his ability could then have gone back to the board and demanded more 

On a relative scale I imagine was on KP Brand Honey Roasted nuts, and was offered Asda own brand salted.

I can’t comment on actuals but on here we’ve read he was on £25k p.w and got offered somewhere between £7.5-10k p.w.  No idea on term.

FWIW I’m not disappointed in him.  Timing of contract expiry versus downturn in wages we can offer is a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On a relative scale I imagine was on KP Brand Honey Roasted nuts, and was offered Asda own brand salted.

I can’t comment on actuals but on here we’ve read he was on £25k p.w and got offered somewhere between £7.5-10k p.w.  No idea on term.

FWIW I’m not disappointed in him.  Timing of contract expiry versus downturn in wages we can offer is a lot to do with it.

Being a bit old fashioned me Dave and lifelong city fan , I thought a bit of loyalty / thanks might have come into it - how silly of me 

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Being a bit old fashioned me Dave and lifelong city fan , I thought a bit of loyalty / thanks might have come into it - how silly of me 

Unfortunately the fans are the only ones loyal.  I would have loved him to stay as a top defender for me.

1 hour ago, redkev said:

I guess the point I’m making is would you stay loyal for a wage half to a third (allegedly) from what you’ve been on?

There is a case on both or neither side???

• Like 2