IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure they would be the same people but the difference here is that many would say (Nige included imo) we actually need a couple of targeted signings to strengthen a small squad, rather than newcomers being clubs in the bag.

No one I've seen on here was asking for much really, just using a small amount of the Scott money on a couple of necessary signings.

But it's always different positions Noggers, some want a goalkeeper, another centre half, a midfield creative (actually that one's me) another striker. The point is where do you stop until everyone is happy and stops moaning. 

The idea that we suddenly have £25m to spend is the issue, it's not free and clear it's gone into a huge hole that's not getting any smaller. I am not going to go through the whole debate of how the hole got there in the first place, but it's like going on a splurge because you managed to reduce your mortgage payments by 20%.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

But this is how it goes, just " few hundred grand " here, "only another million" there and the next thing you know we are back in the Ashton era.

It's really galling to me that because we have come into some money and we have had a couple of injuries, the same people who would be critical of MA and LJ for the "clubs in the bag" policy, suddenly think we should be added more and more players.

Slight over reaction....Ha!    We have to purchase another defender so if we had retained an international class one, then we wouldn't have to spend "Another Million" (Your words not mine?)   My comment was about RETAINING  a player NOT buying one...before u rattle your cage, please try to get your facts straight? 

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Slight over reaction....Ha!    We have to purchase another defender so if we had retained an international class one, then we wouldn't have to spend "Another Million" (Your words not mine?)   My comment was about RETAINING  a player NOT buying one...before u rattle your cage, please try to get your facts straight? 

OK so you are saying extend the wage budget by a few hundred grand, the principal is the same, then it's give this player what he wants and the next one. I am as frustrated as anyone, but at the same time I want to see the club not losing 70/80k a day or whatever it was that @ExiledRobin posted the other day.

Clearly the people at the top of the club are trying to do what so many have been asking them to do for years, and move on and making us look more financially viable is a big part of that.

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Kalas interview on SOTC tonight. The clip here suggests it was a fairly lowball offer we gave him…

Which also suggests the ballpark figure being quoted on here isn’t too far from the truth.

Have to say if that was the case & this implies we weren’t remotely interested in budging, you do wonder why we even offered him anything in the first place.

Still confused as to when Alexander & Lansdown are saying this offer was spent elsewhere in our budget, as the player we signed presumably as his replacement (Rob Dickie) was the first one through the door back in early June.

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

£7k pw.

What’d be interesting to see is how that compares to what he got at Shalke. I’m not of the mind that we made necessarily a bad offer in view of TKs age and he hadn’t really played for a year, but it does feel like a starting figure. You wonder whether we used his “Bristol ties” to try and get him cheap - and I would imagine he would have signed for less than Shalke offered him, but it’s the differential.

The major oddity from what TK says (and NPs press conference when he said he’d not heard from Kalas) is that neither side seems to have contacted the other - at least officially - post the original offer. It can’t have been so far off that it wasn’t even in the realms of possibility (we must have had an idea what TK was looking for) and as @GrahamC says, if it was, why even offer?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

What’d be interesting to see is how that compares to what he got at Shalke. I’m not of the mind that we made necessarily a bad offer in view of TKs age and he hadn’t really played for a year, but it does feel like a starting figure. You wonder whether we used his “Bristol ties” to try and get him cheap - and I would imagine he would have signed for less than Shalke offered him, but it’s the differential.

The major oddity from what TK says (and NPs press conference when he said he’d not heard from Kalas) is that neither side seems to have contacted the other - at least officially - post the original offer. It can’t have been so far off that it wasn’t even in the realms of possibility (we must have had an idea what TK was looking for) and as @GrahamC says, if it was, why even offer?

I reckon he earns somewhere between 2 to 3 times what we offered him,  at Schalke?  Good luck to him, one of the most commited and stylish defenders i have seen at Ashton Gate, and who   can blame him, as it's probably one of his   last contract's  at age 30.

• Like 2

Found that a bit of an odd chat tbh. I’d say £7k is more than a fair opening and final wage for the boundaries we’re trying to set.

It sounds like both parties weren’t very forthcoming in comms, so can’t put that against the club. The fact that he was at the Preston game doesn’t strike me as something someone who’s totally been left in the dark by the club would’ve done tbh  

If you’d have offered me Kalas vs what we’ve ended up with in Dickie, I’d have taken Dickie honestly. 

I’m sure he’s happy as well, Schalke is an absolutely incredible move for him. 

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The major oddity from what TK says (and NPs press conference when he said he’d not heard from Kalas) is that neither side seems to have contacted the other - at least officially - post the original offer.

That is the one thing that really gets me. 
Kalas says if we couldn't beat the offer, he understands why they didn't get back in touch. He's been here long enough to be due some respect, and just should have been contacted to say , sorry but thanks and all the best . Any contract offer the other way I would expect his agent to do, but surely after 4/5 years he deserves someone at the Club to contact him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Everything does seem to quite strongly point to City (and ultimately, Nige) not being especially keen on retaining Kalas. 

They must have known Kalas was never going to go from top earner to £7k pw, and clearly made little or no attempt to have a serious negotiation with Kalas or his agent. 

Guess it’s all about managing that risk of him getting injured again versus what is an acceptable wage for that risk.

Really tough call.

A call made even tougher seeing as the wage budget is maxed (unnecessarily).As I’ve said before, I can’t be “Captain Hindsight” on this decision, it was so 50:50 for me.

I really like / rate Tomas too, I’m glad it wasn’t me having to decide what level to make the offer at.  Hope he does well at Schalke.  Was a nice interview tonight, almost a bit emotional.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

£7k pw.

I know in football terms £7k is pretty small but god do these footballers know of the hardships some ( not all ) people are going through , the normal man of the street , brickie/warehouseman/scaffolder/nhs/bus driver/lorry driver etc etc would be like a dog with 2 dicks if they could earn £7k a week just for a year 

would love to know what they spend  / waste there money on 

12 minutes ago, redkev said:

I know in football terms £7k is pretty small but god do these footballers know of the hardships some ( not all ) people are going through , the normal man of the street , brickie/warehouseman/scaffolder/nhs/bus driver/lorry driver etc etc would be like a dog with 2 dicks if they could earn £7k a week just for a year 

Tax ???

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Guess it’s all about managing that risk of him getting injured again versus what is an acceptable wage for that risk.

Really tough call.

A call made even tougher seeing as the wage budget is maxed (unnecessarily).As I’ve said before, I can’t be “Captain Hindsight” on this decision, it was so 50:50 for me.

I really like / rate Tomas too, I’m glad it wasn’t me having to decide what level to make the offer at.  Hope he does well at Schalke.  Was a nice interview tonight, almost a bit emotional.

Agree with all of that, one thing is certain he’s an interesting bloke. Thought the tributes that he paid to both Webster & Baker were very generous, too.

FWIW I have consistently said I wouldn’t have kept him on but fully get the argument put forward by others that if he’d been willing to accept much lower terms & then stayed fit, we would have got a bargain.

Certainly wish him well at Schalke, do hope he stays fit & gets a decent run in their side.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

That is the one thing that really gets me. 
Kalas says if we couldn't beat the offer, he understands why they didn't get back in touch. He's been here long enough to be due some respect, and just should have been contacted to say , sorry but thanks and all the best . Any contract offer the other way I would expect his agent to do, but surely after 4/5 years he deserves someone at the Club to contact him.

Yes, shake hands and good luck.

• Like 2

To be honest, since signing Tomas for a reported £8m, coupled with a health salary of between £20k/£30k he just didn't represent value for money.  No doubting his talents but struggled to be fit for long enough periods.  Nige has highlighted the large disparity in wages from early on in his tenure which was contributing to an unhealthy dressing room.  Maybe the reported offer of £7k represented what we were willing to offer for that risk.

I wish Tomas all the best, top pro, just unlucky with injuries.

• Confused 1

On 11/09/2023 at 21:47, Davefevs said:

Really tough call.

Agreed with all that Fevs, was an interesting interview and l liked what he had to say. Good to hear you on the show afterwards! ?

• Thanks 1

On 11/09/2023 at 22:37, redkev said:

Their 50+ years (hopefully) of life after their football career is over? Not being a (say) bus driver, I can't comment on career length, but I would suggest it's not all over in your mid-30s. 

PS: "NHS" what??? It's not some amorphous blob made up entirely of doctors and nurses...