IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

Just now, Davefevs said:

I guess the point I’m making is would you stay loyal for a wage half to a third (allegedly) from what you’ve been on?

There is a case on both or neither side???

Depends on what you can get elsewhere.

We’ll never know the figures exactly but if our offer was circa £10k a week (not unlikely) & Schalke have offered him 2 years (which they definitely have) on £12k a week then you can understand him.

If Schalke have gone above that figure then anyone with any sense would snap their hands off.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

We’ll never know the figures exactly but if our offer was circa £10k a week (not unlikely) & Schalke have offered him 2 years (which they definitely have) on £12k a week then you can understand him.

If Schalke have gone above that figure then anyone with any sense would snap their hands off.

I heard we’d offered him around £7k a week. If that’s true, I’m not surprised he didn’t rush to sign it. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess the point I’m making is would you stay loyal for a wage half to a third (allegedly) from what you’ve been on?

There is a case on both or neither side???

I know what your saying and tend to agree , but it might also depend what my employer had done for me whilst I was there and how much I needed the money 

1 hour ago, Clevedon Red said:

No such thing as loyalty these days on modern football.

Think we all know that ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Would Schalke have offered him £12k per week? We know they're a well supported club but they're also a club in decline so do we know where they stand financially? 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Would Schalke have offered him £12k per week? We know they're a well supported club but they're also a club in decline so do we know where they stand financially? 

Dunno, they’ve offered him 2 years, which might be significant.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Presumably because his contract expired nearly two months ago.

Did he depart the club at that point and get some sort of “thanks and goodbye” at that point? Genuine question.

Just seems a little odd for a well established and generally popular player, who played quite a lot of games for us, to just…disappear out by the back door.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Did he depart the club at that point and get some sort of “thanks and goodbye” at that point? Genuine question.

Just seems a little odd for a well established and generally popular player, who played quite a lot of games for us, to just…disappear out by the back door.

He didn’t - but I guess that’s because it sort of dragged on with no one outside the club knowing what was really happening.

We are interested because we’re supporters but from a club perspective (& Tomas, because he hasn’t said anything either) they have already moved on.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, redkev said:

I know what your saying and tend to agree , but it might also depend what my employer had done for me whilst I was there and how much I needed the money 

Think we all know that ?

Football’s a funny industry though. Loyalty (or lack of) yes, but I’m not sure that’s very different to most employment nowadays.

But the big, different, factor relates to your first point. TK is just 30 and looking at probably the last significant earnings of his career. There’s not many other places where that’s the case, and people in that position. I think that makes the decision an even easier one. 

34 minutes ago, westonred said:

As we would have re-signed Kalas if he had done a UTurn and it looks like the Irish Lad is not signing now can we use the money from both those failed deals to get some one in now ?

Doubtful.

Think we were already aware that Kalas wasn’t re-signing when we brought the West Brom lad in & the Irish kid would be on first year pro terms so he won’t making much difference to what we’re spending.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He didn’t - but I guess that’s because it sort of dragged on with no one outside the club knowing what was really happening.

We are interested because we’re supporters but from a club perspective (& Tomas, because he hasn’t said anything either) they have already moved on.

Just posted this!

• Robin 2

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Good luck Thomas.

The bigger issue is though is that it brings to an end the sorry tail of paying Chelsea £8M for Kalas, £2M for DaSilva & £2M for KP45 all had big wages and all left for nothing. An absolute disgraceful waste of club finances.

Indeed. Shameful and disgraceful that we wasted so much money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apologies if I’ve missed something here, but why haven’t the club announced that Kalas has left?!

Obviously the club just have but it’s weird they have done it. Obviously he left months ago. I don’t see us having written similar stories for the others who’s contracts left, even those who took up other offers immediately?

54 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Palmer was way more than £2M. Don’t forget £2M for Bentley and the Massengo fee same summer plus a big loan deal for Afobe. The wages and cash spent by LJ for £0 return. Crazy, hence why he and Holden fail elsewhere. 

Afobe could have been an excellent loan signing if not for the injury! Him, Weimann as a pair with Palmer behind was showing a lot of promise.

Afobe suffered a freak ACL in training in mid September 2019. Was all hush hush but sadly the rumours were confirmed.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/breaking-bristol-city-confirm-benik-3343400

The lack of Afobe probably also impacted on Weimann and Palmer in that shape.

Massengo perhaps had to get more exposure than planned because Smith was in and out via injury persistently, and Nagy got injured 1.5 games in.

Had we looked to sell some of these in January 2021 or even summer 2021 the ambition would have been slated even though it may have brought in some fees.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Swede said:

Good luck Thomas.

The bigger issue is though is that it brings to an end the sorry tail of paying Chelsea £8M for Kalas, £2M for DaSilva & £2M for KP45 all had big wages and all left for nothing. An absolute disgraceful waste of club finances.

We got a fee for KP45

12 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Classic OTIB. Complain the club don’t announce his departure, complain when they do. ??

But surely we should have announced he was joining Schalke weeks before he knew he was joining Schalke??

In any event having been asked about Kalas 3 times in a recent press conference Nigel said in exasperated tones "Look, he's gone!"

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Palmer was way more than £2M. Don’t forget £2M for Bentley and the Massengo fee same summer plus a big loan deal for Afobe. The wages and cash spent by LJ for £0 return. Crazy, hence why he and Holden fail elsewhere. 

For all the criticism of Ashton and LJ, City fans were very excited about those signings. It was a fun time to follow City. Kalas in particular was a proven winner at this level and made total sense. 

Letting the players go for free, and add Diedhiou to that list, is the irritating part.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

For all the criticism of Ashton and LJ, City fans were very excited about those signings. It was a fun time to follow City. Kalas in particular was a proven winner at this level and made total sense. 

Letting the players go for free, and add Diedhiou to that list, is the irritating part.

But when you’ve been in the game as long as Ashton and know the market as well as he does….

effing bluffer. 

• Like 1

I believed at the time and perhaps still do, that summer 2019 was part of a planned 2-3 year push at promotion. In a non Covid world.

It felt like a big push in 2019-20 with a bit more in 2020-21. I'm not using the Covid excuse of course but the volume of signings, the stretching of budgets. It felt a bit like it in summer 2019, promotion  the goal..perhaps if not for Covid we would have gone again a bit in 2020-21.

Either been in a bigger mess or somehow scrambled up in time! Perhaps we would have pushed big again in summer 2020 in a promotion now or bust approach!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous