IGNORED

Friendly at Portsmouth

Topper 123

6 minutes ago, cityal said:

Araoye looks to have the physique to do well in the game in future. Very unlucky not to score today.

I wonder if they will keep him around or loan him out - I expect he could do a good job for a L1/L2 side.

I get the impression that if Nige thinks they are up to it they won’t be going out on loan unless they are short of games.  If I’m not mistaken we played the last quarter of that game with three kids in our back four and still comfortably saw it out albeit against what I would expect to be decent League 1 opposition.

Whatever happens with Nige moving forwards it really does appear he is assembling a squad built on foundations with youth genuinely coming through and not the quicksand we’ve been used to for the last twenty years (also known as clubs in the bag).

Whether we are really up to a top half challenge at this point remains to be seen, pre-season goes out the window at 3pm next week as we all know, but I’m cautiously optimistic for the season ahead.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Feeling really really confident and happy with how we’ve shaped up for the season. Looked really good again today. 

So fit and strong. We basically have 2 teams now too. Made 10 subs and still dominated.

And that’s before Kal, McCrorie, Ayman and Atkinson are back and available. Really exciting times. 

I don't know how I feel about that game. We dominated for 55 minutes then it became a very competitive game and we had to struggle with a few crosses, mainly because the midfield lost control (with James!)

An odd one, but our intensity, workrate and effort won't be lacking this season! We have great competition for places and depth of faced with injuries (inevitable), so I fancy us to build on last season, whilst perhaps not being consistent. 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's the kids getting involved. I was at the Scummers derby game back in 2005 when "Britain's youngest football hooligan" was convicted. A 10 year old Pompey fan who threw a brick at the police. 

That's not bad, Kid. But Leicester had a Baby Squad in the 80s, and they never ran from no-one (except Millwall). 

19 minutes ago, cityal said:

Araoye looks to have the physique to do well in the game in future. Very unlucky not to score today.

I wonder if they will keep him around or loan him out - I expect he could do a good job for a L1/L2 side.

Looking at the 22 players that we had involved today, it seems to me to be between Leeson, Araoye & Knight-Lebel for the final place in the squad next weekend (it is 9 subs now) assuming McCrorie isn’t available to be a sub.

With Naismith not fit & Kalas not looking like returning I would expect that we’ll keep him around, as he appears to be ahead of all the other young centre backs & Idehen is clearly on the “can leave” list.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

Nice to hear Cornick getting praise given previous comments on here that he isn’t good enough and should be jettisoned! Long may it continue.

My own personal view is that Cornick and Sykes have a battle for that right forward role, and so far I'd pick Sykes every time. 

This is interesting given that Pearson clearly defined Cornick as a striker. Cornick's height gives him an advantage, but Sykes is undroppable in my eyes! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Well as opening posts go that was either pure genius or an embarrassment that will forever be, well an embarrassment :laugh:. 

I’m trying to work out whether his user name is a City reference or his name is Ed and it Gater Ed because of what he wears?

Thought we looked in total control the whole game even when the youngsters came on , would just like to have got the 2nd goal as at 1-0 however much you dominate the game the other team are always in it we need to be a bit more clinical there .

Also loved the comment think it was tinnion said at ht that the academy lads coming through are playing above there age group and looking really good so obviously there’s another batch coming through .

something I also picked up on is that that academy lads are made very aware if you are not performing your giving it the billy bolloxs attitude like a lot of academy lads have at that age you will very quickly become surplus to requirements and are shown the door .   Think the academy carries no passengers hence the amount of lads doing so well some will naturally drop off but we seem to have a high % who are making the next and biggest step up , makes watching city even better knowing we have so much home grown ( or close to home ) natured talent . 

Haven’t read through this thread so apologies if already discussed. I was at the game yesterday and one thing doesn’t change which is some of our coked up **** supporters . As all clubs will have them , we got some proper bell ends following us. Abusive & aggressive towards stewards & the proper thick as shit chant was. Your town is red ? to a one team town who play in blue . Plus , stop singing that I can’t read , I can’t write song , it’s bloody embarrassing .   

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Bobbie said:

I was in the home end with a couple of pompey mates today and they were very impressed by us. Commented on how fit we were and that that they couldn’t land a punch on us. 
Scott and Conway both seemed to have bulked up over the summer. 

That good to see.

Praise from the opposition fans is quite a compliment. As for Scott and Conway, both young guys that would have beefed up naturally as many young guys do.

I reckon that Scott will purposely be given a more attacking midfield role this season.He’s very keen to add goals to his game and if he can manage to bag a few his value will increase even more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Haven’t read through this thread so apologies if already discussed. I was at the game yesterday and one thing doesn’t change which is some of our coked up **** supporters . As all clubs will have them , we got some proper bell ends following us. Abusive & aggressive towards stewards & the proper thick as shit chant was. Your town is red ? to a one team town who play in blue . Plus , stop singing that I can’t read , I can’t write song , it’s bloody embarrassing .   

"I can't read, I can't right,

It's blood-ee embarrassing 

With our front three and your back four

Your in for some harr-assing ....  "

There's a song in there (somewhere), mate

• Haha 1

Made me chuckle too. And chanting/singing the memorial bit, with the rest of the stand shouting at them to shut up. 

Think this may be a long season for you , I can understand what your saying but I just let it go over my head or you will become an angry frustrated man .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Like others have said your in for one hell of a long season . I’m more embarrassed by our fans who go to away games and sit on their hands all game than those who sing a couple chants . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Like others have said your in for one hell of a long season . I’m more embarrassed by our fans who go to away games and sit on their hands all game than those who sing a couple chants . 

So you think it’s ok to start on a steward for no reason ? 

2 hours ago, redkev said:

Think this may be a long season for you , I can understand what your saying but I just let it go over my head or you will become an angry frustrated man .

I’m far from thin skinned , I just find it embarrassing