IGNORED

Digital Ticketing

westonred

57 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Most seasons, you get a letter from the club, signed by the owner, chairman or manager thanking you for buying a season ticket, hopes and expectations for the coming season and then you get your card and fixture list/keyring or whatever. 

Communication about the move to digital has been shocking.

It's no wonder that people are nervous. They are quick enough putting videos out showing a new signing at training for the first time, but reassuring people that they'll get a new ticket to their phone every time or how to share a ticket or any of that sort of thing, nope! 

And when we have customer service that might or might not reply to you, it's no wonder people want to go with what they know and trust, simply because it's proven to work. 

I found their FAQs very clear and easy to understand:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/tickets-memberships/season-tickets/digital-season-tickets-faqs/

8 minutes ago, !james said:

Do many championship clubs have those?

That was a Bristol Sport list I put up.

I don't imagine there are many organisations that are two football, rugby, basketball and in-house television - all of which has a heavy reliance on multi-platform technology both in terms of parting punters from their money, delivering content and across apps and social media as well as stadium events, stadium connectivity and moving forward a sports village to integrate, a lot of data separation, a lot of areas to juggle and from that list, no individual overseeing it at the highest level, all of which goes to creating a better user experience. 

1 minute ago, eardun said:

Sounds as if several thousand others didn't though! 

I'm all digital-walleted up for the coming season, this thread has burst back in to life when someone pointed out that 4,500 have requested a physical ticket.

• Admin
1 minute ago, eardun said:

It's aimed at those with an understanding of how phone tech works, and assumed that people looked at the OS 

Also worth remembering how late this was shared with the fanbase 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm all digital-walleted up for the coming season, this thread has burst back in to life when someone pointed out that 4,500 have requested a physical ticket.

It has seemed to me from posts on here though that people just haven’t bothered to read them as their Qs on this forum have already been answered in these FAQs (which were emailed to us as well of course). 

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's aimed at those with an understanding of how phone tech works, and assumed that people looked at the OS 

These FAQs were linked in the email that we received. People not reading the email either then! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, !james said:

That's crazy, hence the reason why they will charge next season... 

Think of all the money saved on not sending out cards to 10,000 people who've gone digital. I reckon we should get a discount...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I don't think its a case of not understanding it though is it? People are stating on here that they want one because they have always had one. I would expect 70-80% of the 4500 are people who just ticked the yes I want a physical card when the form came out.  

1 hour ago, phantom said:

15th March !!!!How much time do people need to get used to the idea ?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, eardun said:

These FAQs were linked in the email that we received. People not reading the email either then! 

Sorry @eardun, which email are you referring to?

14 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

15th March !!!!How much time do people need to get used to the idea ?

Apologies if I am missing something here @Sir Geoff?

This is the only news item about season tickets on 15th March, could you indicate where the section is showing how to upload and use the new digital ticket?

? Season Ticket renewals from March 20th | Bristol City (bcfc.co.uk)

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

A surprising lack of 'head of IT' in this list.

THE TEAM

BOARD
Chairman: Jon Lansdown
Directors: 
Mark Kelly – Pula Director of Global Property Investments
Lisa Knights – Group Director of Communications
Gavin Marshall - Pula Director of Sport

EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT
Chief Commercial Officer: Sarah Farrar
Chief Financial Officer: Vicki Long

MANAGEMENT
Group Head of People: Lydia Dowding
Group Head of Commercial: Justine Kebby
Group Head of Retail: Hayley Kendrick
Group Head of Marketing & Ticketing: Charlie Lincoln

Group Head of Brand & Creative Lead Fever Pitch: Liz Pryor

Head of People Services: Catherine Dean
Head of Communications: Joel Osborne

ASHTON GATE STADIUM

Chairman: Martin Griffiths
Directors: Mark Kelly (CEO), Lisa Knights, Jon Lansdown, Gavin Marshall

MANAGEMENT
Head of Venue: Jenny Hutchinson
Catering Operations Manager: Mike Keeling
Head of Operation (Front of House): Raivo Korotkovs
Executive Head Chef: George Opondo
Ashton Gate Projects & Asset Manager: Peter Smith
Head of Safety & Security: Dave Storr
General Manager: Ross Wormald

BRISTOL SPORT FOUNDATION
Board of Trustees: Theresa Kingston (Chair), Dr Charlie Foster, James Allen, Sarah Mortiboys, Gavin Marshall, Jon Lansdown
Chief Community Officer: Ben Breeze
Director of Programmes: Tom Monks

City:

image.thumb.png.266aef181e158c77aab3c7b008383ca0.png

I see there doesn’t appear to be a COO in either set-up?

37 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is the only news item about season tickets on 15th March, could you indicate where the section is showing how to upload and use the new digital ticket?

Hi @phantom - I’m referring to the email on 6 July when we were sent the ticket to download. I read all the info they provided because we needed to decide whether we needed a physical card. I thought that comm and the FAQs were good and off the back of that I concluded I didn’t need a physical card (I was particularly looking for the ‘can I forward a ticket’ Q&A as that was going to have a bearing on whether I needed a physical card as my daughter tends to use my wife’s ticket when my wife can’t attend - that was clearly answered with a ‘yes’ so digital was fine for me). 

• Thanks 1

15th March it was mentioned in Bristol Live. A few simple google searches would have allayed any fears and many clubs have step by step guides of how to use digital tickets. For Bristol City the full instructions and how to guide came out around the same time as the digital cards were issued about 3 weeks ago. So with 2 weeks until the start of the season people have had approx 5 weeks to learn how to upload and use their season ticket. Again, How long do people need !!! Its a 5 minute operation.

• Thanks 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

15th March it was mentioned in Bristol Live. A few simple google searches would have allayed any fears and many clubs have step by step guides of how to use digital tickets. For Bristol City the full instructions and how to guide came out around the same time as the digital cards were issued about 3 weeks ago. So with 2 weeks until the start of the season people have had approx 5 weeks to learn how to upload and use their season ticket. Again, How long do people need !!! Its a 5 minute operation.

So our club didn't actually advise people on that date in March then. 

My point was that the club should have explained how to do it weeks ago, you confirm that it's five weeks before the season started, that's too late. 

The details were clearly needed before the renewal period started for season cards. Yeah the two of us could do it easily but it's clearly an issue for thousands of others

Additionally if the instructions were available from other clubs the work was already done for the club and could have cross referenced to someone else. 

• Like 2

So our club didn't actually advise people on that date in March then. 

My point was that the club should have explained how to do it weeks ago, you confirm that it's five weeks before the season started, that's too late. 

The details were clearly needed before the renewal period started for season cards. Yeah the two of us could do it easily but it's clearly an issue for thousands of others

Additionally if the instructions were available from other clubs the work was already done for the club and could have cross referenced to someone else. 

Is it? Five weeks before the first game of the season to prepare to use a phone wallet in the same way it is used millions of times a day up and down the country. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, James54De said:

Is it? Five weeks before the first game of the season to prepare to use a phone wallet in the same way it is used millions of times a day up and down the country. 

You are completely missing the point 

It wasn't about notice before the first game but the club not showing how easy it is to sort before the season ticket’s went sale 

The discussion where this started was if the club had shown people how this all worked when they made the first announcement they wouldn't be paying out a fortune now for so many season cards 

23 minutes ago, James54De said:

I assume you are aware that 4500 people want a physical card? 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

It wasn't about notice before the first game but the club not showing how easy it is to sort before the season ticket’s went sale 

The discussion where this started was if the club had shown people how this all worked when they made the first announcement they wouldn't be paying out a fortune now for so many season cards 

About 4000 more then the club was expecting

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, phantom said:

I can see your point, @phantom

Not sure what the answer is, though, as some people are clearly not reading what was sent out with the digital ticket (as a lot of the Qs on this forum are covered by the club’s FAQs which are clear), so I am dubious as to whether they would have read anything sent out earlier. Not convinced that a face to face meeting would have been logistically possible. A video demo and video Q&A may have helped though - although again some people wouldn’t have bothered to watch it. 

You are probably right though that earlier comms and more of them might have got  through to more people/provided more reassurance/stopped knee-jerk reactions. Whereas I only needed to read the comms once when the digital ticket arrived, clearly by then others had already decided they wanted a physical card come what may so they didn’t even read the comms - they needed to be hit earlier. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phantom said:

The club should have issued a visual guide to how it will all work alongside a video showing not only showing how to install it onto a phone but also how it will work at the turnstile

Far too late now, and to me a very basic error by the club that will no doubt have caused lost of worry for many for no reason

This is exactly what should have happened, a bit of encouragement to show how easy it is and would’ve stopped all the negativity and bloody hysteria!

Let’s face, if the majority of scousers can do it…………!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

........or don't trust themselves to embrace a new concept.

The concept of no physical momento to show for the money charged, and increasing reliance on the phone that people are glued to and have to replace every couple of years or so (re-doing passwords, 2FA etc), which isn't a problem for people with no sense of permanence about where and how they poop money.

Edited by sephjnr
  • Like 2

It seems that we can match a big club in one respect at least. From the BBC:

Newcastle United Supporters Trust has called on the club to provide clarity “as soon as possible” with no tickets yet on sale for the opening game of the season.

The Magpies host Aston Villa on 12 August in the Premier League, but there's still been no announcement on when tickets will be made available.

Sign up for a membership scheme began on Wednesday, allowing fans to be entered into a ballot for home tickets, with no season tickets available for purchase.

It's not clear when the ballot for the Aston Villa game will take place, leaving fans frustrated.

“The club needs to get tickets for the Aston Villa game, and the Manchester City game, on sale as soon as possible,” NUST chairman Greg Tomlinson told BBC Sport.

“Fans need to book travel and hotels if they need them.

“The shorter the period to the match means higher costs for our supporters.

“Going forward, the club also needs to commit to a period of how long they will run the ballot for members, so fans can have certainty.”

This season also commences the use of a digital ticketing system, leading to confusion among fans about how it will work.

“Information is needed on all those outstanding questions, including on the implementation and usability of the new digital ticketing process because it will be new for a lot of people,” said Tomlinson.

The club say their supporter liaison officer and box office are on hand for supporter queries and has remained in contact with the Trust. Tomlinson praised their communication and engagement.

The Trust has asked its members for feedback on the new scheme before making a public comment.