IGNORED

Based on current squad- starting 11 for PNE

TommyD68

Just my opinion, but I don’t see us swapping formation back any time soon, unless injuries or other events require it.

I think a lot of our success towards the latter patch of last season was due to our wing play. Don’t see why we would discount that this season unless nige feels the players we have signed massively changes things. And with all 3 of our current signings having major competition for places I don’t see that being likely. 

Am really liking how our squad is shaping up so far though. Idk about you lot but it feels like we are flying under the radar a little bit and will put up more of a challenge then the rest of the league think we will next season. If that’s enough for top 6 who knows but I’m quite positive atm.

Players who will likely start if fit.

4 places up for grabs and we have a lot of competition for those places.

Just 1 x Midfield & GK are light.

Up front we have 7 for 3 places so possible 1 to many unless 1 is seen as a Scott replacement.

MOL

McCorrie Vyner Dickie   Pring

James              ?
                     Scott

?             Conway            ?

6 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Players who will likely start if fit.

4 places up for grabs and we have a lot of competition for those places.

Just 1 x Midfield & GK are light.

Up front we have 7 for 3 places so possible 1 to many unless 1 is seen as a Scott replacement.

MOL

McCorrie Vyner Dickie   Pring

James              ?
                     Scott

?             Conway            ?

Naismith has been picked every time he's been available. Sykes also. Don't see that changing this season. Can't see Atkinson being left out once he's recovered either. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Hmmm 1

47 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Naismith has been picked every time he's been available. Sykes also. Don't see that changing this season. Can't see Atkinson being left out once he's recovered either. 

Pearson has left Atkinson out on numerous occasions.

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Left Atkinson out as injured.

Sykes is a fair shout to start but could play Cornick or Weiman  there.

Not so sure about Naismith I think James is he’s go to man with Scott.

I think he may want to bring someone in to play there with James.

12 hours ago, TommyD68 said:

I was having a little think to myself last night and for the first time in a while I think the squad actually has multiple players for each position, making it quite hard to pick a starting 11! 

I also wonder if Weimann plays a bit better without the armband.. might be slightly harsh, but I wouldn’t mind seeing James captain next season and Vyner vice captain (provided he signs new deal). 

I think playing Scott and Weimann gives a bit of flexibility as they could both play either out wide or in the CAM role allowing them to interchange. Assuming Scott stays of course..  Which he might not, wishful thinking putting him in I think ?

That team would leave players like Wells, Mccorie, Roberts, Atkinson, Benarous, Cornick, Mehmeti, Williams etc all fighting it out to make the bench. Shaping up nicely! 

IMG_1419.thumb.png.a5eedde80e60a2fff090671ea92c244d.png

Why Pring and Weiman underlined 

Unless the new signings seriously impress in preseason matches I can’t see Nige wavering from the trusted players from last season.If Kalas signs a new contract It’s likely that he’ll start. If not then Nige has a decision to make about which of the new guys fills the CB position.The midfield pretty much picks itself.

The squad is certainly stronger and deeper than a year ago so he’ll opt for whichever CB has performed the best.

It’s a nice situation for any manager to have such intense competition for places.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Unless the new signings seriously impress in preseason matches I can’t see Nige wavering from the trusted players from last season.If Kalas signs a new contract It’s likely that he’ll start. If not then Nige has a decision to make about which of the new guys fills the CB position.The midfield pretty much picks itself.

The squad is certainly stronger and deeper than a year ago so he’ll opt for whichever CB has performed the best.

It’s a nice situation for any manager to have such intense competition for places.

I don’t think he’s signed Rob Dickie to sit on the bench, but it’s up to everyone, new players and existing players to show up during pre-season.

In the video put out by the club this week (on the OS), Nige said specifically that last season counts for nothing, so that kinda the opposite to your opening sentence.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he’s signed Rob Dickie to sit on the bench, but it’s up to everyone, new players and existing players to show up during pre-season.

In the video put out by the club this week (on the OS), Nige said specifically that last season counts for nothing, so that kinda the opposite to your opening sentence.

Of course he said that Dave - that’s what all proper managers would say.  He obviously wants his new signings to impress under his tutelage but Nige nor any of us can predict how they’ll perform but by saying what he said he’s letting the regular first teamers from last season know that with new kids on the block that their place will be under threat. That’ll motivate them to raise their game.

Its good sensible player management.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think theres a pinch of salt needed with the last season counts for nothing comment,, if james is fit, we all know nige loves him and he will start,, if scott is still here he will start too, plus weve only got 1 keeper who has ever played a game in the english pro league! As it stands pring is almost a guaranteed starter too, and probably conway? Im also inclined to think we wouldnt have spent several million on mccrorie and dickie without them being lined up to start! It wouldn’t be a good look for the manager to be backed with that much money when we aren’t exactly flush with cash and not start them?

how the rest fit in, who knows!

i would go with

mol

mccrorie vyner dickie pring

james scott naysmith

weimann conway bell

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As an aside, without wishing to sound controversial , but i think the bristol post confirmed today pearson has now brought in 15 players since he arrived, whats your view on how successful the signings have been,, this is with an eye on if scott goes, are we happy to trust pearson and tinnion (who i love and is a legend) with a 10 million war chest?

im sure I remember you had a spreadsheet of johnson/ ashton signings and only 2/3 out of 50 or so were recognised as really successful. It is early days for some of them, but i dont see many who would command a big fee out of the players more recently bought in? Atkinson might have but he’s obviously out, the next most valuable after scott is conway and probably vyner and pring who all came through the academy. 

james and king have their places, simpson kane wilson and haikin basically contributed nothing, cornick isnt in anyones predicted starting 11, bajic was sent off to france and is nowhere near a starting spot, tanner looks like hes being replaced but is a good lad and loves a tackle, mehmeti looks talented but no one is really sure exactly where he fits in. Naysmith can pick a pass but was brought in as a top centre back but most people are identifying him as a midfielder cause he is susceptible to major mistakes getting caught in possession. Sykes has scored a few goals and done better than i  thought and played a lot of games, might be worth a million to someone? Hopefully the 3 new lads come in and do well, but we dont want to be signing more players to replace the ones that pearson had already bought in but are stuck here on decent contracts!

If Tanner and pring perform to the levels of last season anyone taking their place will obviously have to perform well to take there spots so if they do that’s going to be very beneficial for the team .

also I think ( even though they improved ) both Tanner & pring did struggle with stamina , so to have four decent wing backs full backs is another big plus for me , imagine bring pring on with 20 mins left against a tireing defence he could cause havoc likewise mcrorrie from what I have seen of him , some very good options unfortunately it’s all on paper at the moment 

9 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

As an aside, without wishing to sound controversial , but i think the bristol post confirmed today pearson has now brought in 15 players since he arrived, whats your view on how successful the signings have been,, this is with an eye on if scott goes, are we happy to trust pearson and tinnion (who i love and is a legend) with a 10 million war chest?

im sure I remember you had a spreadsheet of johnson/ ashton signings and only 2/3 out of 50 or so were recognised as really successful. It is early days for some of them, but i dont see many who would command a big fee out of the players more recently bought in? Atkinson might have but he’s obviously out, the next most valuable after scott is conway and probably vyner and pring who all came through the academy. 

james and king have their places, simpson kane wilson and haikin basically contributed nothing, cornick isnt in anyones predicted starting 11, bajic was sent off to france and is nowhere near a starting spot, tanner looks like hes being replaced but is a good lad and loves a tackle, mehmeti looks talented but no one is really sure exactly where he fits in. Naysmith can pick a pass but was brought in as a top centre back but most people are identifying him as a midfielder cause he is susceptible to major mistakes getting caught in possession. Sykes has scored a few goals and done better than i  thought and played a lot of games, might be worth a million to someone? Hopefully the 3 new lads come in and do well, but we dont want to be signing more players to replace the ones that pearson had already bought in but are stuck here on decent contracts!

Give me the parameters and I’ll give you my view!

Is my evaluation quite simply - how well have they done on the pitch?

Or is it more an overall evaluation - how well have they done on the pitch versus cost versus expectation versus age / development, etc?

Heres the list and my (what I think) more rounded evaluation:

Danny Simpson £0 ?

Matty James £0 ?

Andy King £0 ?

Rob Atkinson £1.600m ?

George Tanner £0.300m ?

Timm Klose £0 ?

Mark Sykes £0 ?

Kal Naismith £0 ?

Kane Wilson £0.200m (compo) ?

Stefan Bajic £0 - too soon to tell

Niki Haikin £0 - didn’t play

Anis Mehmeti £1.000m - too soon to tell (but if pushed ?)

Harry Cornick £0.300m - too soon to tell (but if pushed ?)

Ross McCrorie £1.200m - too soon to tell

Rob Dickie £0.700m - too soon to tell

Haydon Roberts £0m - too soon to tell

I think that is a huge success.  I’d be trusting Nige and Tinns ?.

Let alone the development of existing players.

Feel free to debate, only my view.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4
  • Flames 3

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or is it more an overall evaluation - how well have they done on the pitch versus cost versus expectation versus age / development, etc?

Danny Simpson £0 ?

Matty James £0 ?

Andy King £0 ?

Rob Atkinson £1.600m ?

George Tanner £0.300m ?

Timm Klose £0 ?

Mark Sykes £0 ?

Kal Naismith £0 ?

And Kane Wilson won’t end up costing anything as we will get a fee if we decide to sell 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Danny Simpson £0 ?

Matty James £0 ?

Andy King £0 ?

Rob Atkinson £1.600m ?

George Tanner £0.300m ?

Timm Klose £0 ?

Mark Sykes £0 ?

Kal Naismith £0 ?

Nice one, id agree the faith shown in scott conway and bell have been absolute game changers for us. I dont think that at this point any of them have had the impact of webster or brownhill, but there are several listed who are either new signings this summer or from january, so we will have to see how they work out!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Nice one, id agree the faith shown in scott conway and bell have been absolute game changers for us. I dont think that at this point any of them have had the impact of webster or brownhill, but there are several listed who are either new signings this summer or from january, so we will have to see how they work out!

I didn’t include the likes Baker and Weimann, like some people do (they never actually left the club), especially when set against an agenda of “Pearson Out” at the time (in 21/22) their names included.  I never include Idehen either.  Imho he was signed into the Academy set up.

For parity / consistency with MA / LJ I wouldn’t include Semenyo’s (or Scott in future) sale in any “net spend” type analysis, but I might make a nod to Conway, Pring, Scott, Bell’s development in Nige’s time as I did with Reid, Bryan, Kelly, etc in LJ’s.  It’s just hard to put a tangible value on it.

This is what I think Nige will end up going with for the first game (barring injuries etc). Possibly Bell instead of Mehmeti and Tanner instead of McCrorie but think he'll go with the new signings to try and bed them in. Sounds like Scott will be gone by then as well but this allows us to get Weimann in a more central position where he is so much more effective than out wide. As a few people on here have already said, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Conway gets on this year, think him and Pring will be the next ones on the radar of Prem clubs.

image.png.237e0c89d2ec1e83bee8e6126d35a613.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Firstyardleftinbed said:

This is what I think Nige will end up going with for the first game (barring injuries etc). Possibly Bell instead of Mehmeti and Tanner instead of McCrorie but think he'll go with the new signings to try and bed them in. Sounds like Scott will be gone by then as well but this allows us to get Weimann in a more central position where he is so much more effective than out wide. As a few people on here have already said, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Conway gets on this year, think him and Pring will be the next ones on the radar of Prem clubs.

Im sure most prem scouts know exactly who conway is already, but not sure pring would be geting that much interest, hes a hell of an athlete, but not as good offensively as bryan was when he got his move, which will make clubs take notice. i dont think he has bryans goals output and quality on the ball, not that he isnt a good defender.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Im sure most prem scouts know exactly who conway is already, but not sure pring would be geting that much interest, hes a hell of an athlete, but not as good offensively as bryan was when he got his move, which will make clubs take notice. i dont think he has bryans goals output and quality on the ball, not that he isnt a good defender.

Yeah, I'd agree. Pring isn't quite as good as Bryan going forward yet but on the flip side I would say he is a better defender. Doesn't end to get caught out positionally as much as Bryan. Like you say though, it's not really that sort of stuff that catches the eye as much for Prem scouts I'd imagine. Happy for him to stay for a while yet!

• Like 1

It will be tough on Tanner but as long as he has a decent enough preseason, I'll be very surprised in McCrorie doesn't start as RB.  We need more goals from all the team and he can bang them in. 

O'Leary and Conway are really only two I can confident will start.  Very encouraging to have such a strong squad.   

On 28/06/2023 at 18:55, Davefevs said:

Changing systems without the need to change personnel!

So a team can be 

O Leary

Mcrorie Dickie Atkinson

Sykes James Naismith Pring

Weimann

Bell           Conway

Or it can be

O'Leary

Mcrorie Dickie Atkinson Pring

James  Naismith 

Sykes            Weimann         Bell 

Conway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Pring is a much better lb than Bryan ever was. Bryan's pluses being his goal threat and heading ability.  Bryan nowhere near as good defensively or as athletic.

I'd imagine a side like Brighton would be quietly tracking Pring. Estupinan will be the next big fee Brighton get so a replacement will be lined up this season...

On 30/06/2023 at 11:19, Firstyardleftinbed said:

Harsh on Zak thought he was superb last season , but that’s what a stronger squad does