IGNORED

TdF 2023

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Frustrating thing is if he had any sort of decent lead out he could have snagged either yesterday or today.  Shame G ain’t on tour as you know he’d have helped out a brother once more 

Yep. As mentioned earlier in the thread, he just doesn’t have the support around him to get him in the right position. 
Cees Bol did a decent job up to about 4k out but then there wasn’t really anyone else on the team to give him the final push. 
This meant Cav was left to his own devices again. And as he noted in his interview, he basically chose the wrong wheel (he sat on Pedersen thinking he was gonna launch early). 
He was then hesitant because he was waiting for Pedersen to go but he didn’t go! And when Van Der Poel went, Cav was slightly boxed in to his left and couldn’t go immediately. Split second and that’s that, he was too far back. 
This is where his lack of team support has been hurting him this season. If even just one of his team could have stuck around he could’ve launched himself. But the unfortunate decision was to sit on Pedersen. 
Let’s hope he has another opportunity. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. As mentioned earlier in the thread, he just doesn’t have the support around him to get him in the right position. 
Cees Bol did a decent job up to about 4k out but then there wasn’t really anyone else on the team to give him the final push. 
This meant Cav was left to his own devices again. And as he noted in his interview, he basically chose the wrong wheel (he sat on Pedersen thinking he was gonna launch early). 
He was then hesitant because he was waiting for Pedersen to go but he didn’t go! And when Van Der Poel went, Cav was slightly boxed in to his left and couldn’t go immediately. Split second and that’s that, he was too far back. 
This is where his lack of team support has been hurting him this season. If even just one of his team could have stuck around he could’ve launched himself. But the unfortunate decision was to sit on Pedersen. 
Let’s hope he has another opportunity. 

Saving it for the Champs Elysees - now that would be going out with a bang!

I can dream!

Luis Leon Sanchez is out, So whatever lead-out his team might offer is reduced. Cav's going to have jump onto other lead outs if he's going to get that elusive win.

From Cycling news: "Although Sánchez was classified in last place on the stage, it immediately seemed unlikely that he would be able to continue in the Tour, and later in the evening his Astana-Qazaqstan team confirmed that he had broken his collarbone and would return home to Spain for an operation."

Turning back to Cav briefly, I was interested to see on Le Tour Data Twitter feed this afternoon that on the sprint on stage 3, where Cav finished 6th, he actually clocked the fastest speed at 73.3 kph. 
So it’s certainly seems he’s still got the raw speed, just needs to get better positioned for that finale. 

Back to today. Wow. Jonas laying down a serious challenge there for Pog. 
That'll no doubt liven things up, as Pog must attack attack attack. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Back to today. Wow. Jonas laying down a serious challenge there for Pog. 
That'll no doubt liven things up, as Pog must attack attack attack. 

I’m not sure Pog can lay a glove on Vingegaard in this Tour unless Jonas crashes out. While Pog was getting back on his bike after injury, Vingegaard was winning the Dauphine. Not only that, Kuss looks on super form and Van Aert is working for him as well. 

On 03/07/2023 at 19:10, Harry said:

Superb. 
I did the Tourmalet in 2012 (was the final climb of the tour and Wiggins just needed to get over it and be safe for the win). 
We stayed in Luz-Saint-Saveur too. 
However, after a few beers in the bar near the top I don’t remember the road back as we detoured across the fields most of the way back down!!! Got a bit hairy when the light started to fade mind! 

I too rode a bike up Tourmalet. Found it quite easy tbh. Just roll the throttle and let the engine do the work ;)

My outstanding memory was of two lads who must have been in their 70s cycling up. They made it as we had lunch at the top and we saw them summit. Fair play to anyone who goes up mountains on bikes

20 hours ago, tin said:

I’m not sure Pog can lay a glove on Vingegaard in this Tour unless Jonas crashes out. While Pog was getting back on his bike after injury, Vingegaard was winning the Dauphine. Not only that, Kuss looks on super form and Van Aert is working for him as well. 

Pog was on fire early in the season and the injury will clearly have hampered his preparation. But…could it work out that he’s actually a little bit fresher coming into this and he somehow rides himself into form? 
Today might suggest this is by no means over. 

Edited by Harry

Outside of Vingegaard and Pogacar, who will have to crash out to prevent them being 1&2 (in either order) there have been some impressive performances from riders competing in their first Tour, such as Jai Hindley and Victor Lafay or young riders like Carlos Rodriguez a real talent for the future. This could well turn out to be one of the best Tours in living memory. 

• Like 1

Agreed. 
The last 2 or 3 years have seen a return to some truly exciting racing. 
The 2010’s were dominated by Sky/Ineos, and whilst that was interesting viewing from a very different tactical aspect, it is so different these last couple of years with Pog & Jonas all prepared to attack more frequently. A much more swashbuckling race than we’d seen for the last decade. 
I love watching Pogacar - he’s no holds barred and always prepared to have a proper race. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed. 
The last 2 or 3 years have seen a return to some truly exciting racing. 
The 2010’s were dominated by Sky/Ineos, and whilst that was interesting viewing from a very different tactical aspect, it is so different these last couple of years with Pog & Jonas all prepared to attack more frequently. A much more swashbuckling race than we’d seen for the last decade. 
I love watching Pogacar - he’s no holds barred and always prepared to have a proper race. 

I love Pogacar as well. He’s an out-and-out racer who fears nobody and just looks like he’s having fun on his bike. I think that’s rare in the peloton these days where it’s all about power meters and how many watts they can hold at threshold. 

Delighted to see the way he rode today as it showed a new tactical side to him, rather than just riding others off his wheel with brute strength.

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tin said:

I love Pogacar as well. He’s an out-and-out racer who fears nobody and just looks like he’s having fun on his bike. I think that’s rare in the peloton these days where it’s all about power meters and how many watts they can hold at threshold. 

Delighted to see the way he rode today as it showed a new tactical side to him, rather than just riding others off his wheel with brute strength.

He’s a funny bloke too, always seems to be having a laugh 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

What a great effort from Cav. He got it tactically so right but an incredible burst of speed from Phillipsen denies him. Still a few chances left. 

Probably went a little early but he didn’t really have a choice. It just opened up for him. 
To be fair, Phillipsen did brilliantly to adjust and get onto Cav’s wheel, which gave him the slingshot. 
What a great sprint though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Probably went a little early but he didn’t really have a choice. It just opened up for him. 
To be fair, Phillipsen did brilliantly to adjust and get onto Cav’s wheel, which gave him the slingshot. 
What a great sprint though. 

Cav saying his gears were jumping, you can see how gutted he is, i reckon he definitely thinks he would have won 

27 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Cav saying his gears were jumping, you can see how gutted he is, i reckon he definitely thinks he would have won 

Yeah he definitely had a gear problem. Just as he launched his sprint he went over the traffic hump and actually went airborne for a split second. I think when he landed he slipped a gear. And then it went again just as Phillipsen got on his wheel. 
Whether he’d have won it I’m not sure. 
Phillipsen had the wheel and was able to slingshot so I think he’d have still done that anyway. 
Real bad luck though. Or maybe not - perhaps he shouldn’t have laid the pressure on the wheels just as he was about to hit that hump. Again, having no decent team mate to lead him meant that he was left to adjust in real quick time and I think if he’d stepped on the gas after they’d gone over the hump he might’ve fared better. 

Absolutely gutted for Cav, and he looked devastated. After reading his most recent book, I bet privately he’ll be tamping he wasn’t riding an S-Works. For his gears to fail when he’s pushing 1,200+ watts and has the record so close is galling.

13 hours ago, tin said:

Absolutely gutted for Cav, and he looked devastated. After reading his most recent book, I bet privately he’ll be tamping he wasn’t riding an S-Works. For his gears to fail when he’s pushing 1,200+ watts and has the record so close is galling.

I think the main problem was that he had a back wheel change earlier in the day. I can only assume it wasn’t aligned to perfection when it was replaced. Just a millimetre or so out can lead to the issue he faced when he went airborne over that speed hump. 

Edited by Harry
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think the main problem was that he had a back wheel change earlier in the day. I can only assume it wasn’t aligned to perfection when it was replaced. Just a millimetre or so out can lead to the issue he faced when he went airborne over that speed hump. 

Thanks, @Harry. I wasn’t aware of that having only been able to watch the highlights yesterday. 

• Like 1