IGNORED

City Flying Out For Pre-Season Now

CTRed

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Think I spot Jed Meerholz, Marlee Francios, Seb Palmer-Holden, Ephraim Yeboah, Joe Duncan, Mac Boyd,  Raphael Araoye, Harry Lesson and Callum Wood as the youngsters going to Austria. Any I've missed or got wrong?

Good eye, I was hoping someone had put together a who’s who. I’ve heard all these lads mentioned but Francois seems to be held in very high regard, already had a first team cameo too iirc.

24 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Think I spot Jed Meerholz, Marlee Francois, Seb Palmer-Holden, Ephraim Yeboah, Joe Duncan, Mac Boyd,  Raphael Araoye, Harry Leeson and Callum Wood as the youngsters going to Austria. Any I've missed or got wrong?

I don't think I'm familiar with Meerholz or Duncan, can you shed any light? Yeboah is the very young forward iirc? 

12 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

I don't think I'm familiar with Meerholz or Duncan, can you shed any light? Yeboah is the very young forward iirc? 

I don't know a huge amount about them if I'm honest.

Founds some bits from BP

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-bright-cup-triumph-8406084

Jed Meerholz

His header in the first-half should have been the matchwinner if it wasn't for Liggett's equaliser eight minutes before time. It was a brilliantly timed run from deep and he connected with his header perfectly to leave the keeper with little chance.

However, it wasn't just his goal that caught the eye. Playing in the middle of the back three, Meerholz looked to have the capabilities to play as a modern-day central defender.

He was cool, calm and collected on the ball, often dropping deeper to collect possession before feeding the ball out to the wing-backs in Taine Anderson and Raekwan Nelson. In one passage of play in the second half, he confidently strode forward, almost Rob Atkinson-esque, into the opposition's half to get City higher up the field when they were coming under increasing pressure.

There were a few difficult moments in the second period with the pace and runners of the Cheltenham forwards stretching the defence and leaving gaps behind but Meerholz was vocal to marshall the defence and keep the organisation.

Another moment in the second half that caught the eye was when striker Guinan got space in behind with just Meerholz to beat. The defender didn't rush or lunge into a challenge and instead held his ground, closed the angle, and ensured he blocked the shot.

He's also an aerial threat winning his fair share of headers when Cheltenham got the ball into the area while proving a nuisance up the other end.

Ephraim Yeboah

Bristol City obviously rate the forward highly with the 16-year-old featuring on a handful of occasions for the U21 side. Judging by his showing last night, it's evident to see why.

With the senior side looking for forwards to play at a high intensity with pace in closing the ball down, Yeboah seemingly has those attributes and if he can fine-tune areas of his game over the next couple of years, they may have a real talent on their hands.

Yeboah rarely stopped running throughout the contest, making those runs down the channels that opened up the Cheltenham defence. He had the confidence to take on his opponent and get to the byline before playing a delivery across goal.

After nine minutes he took a ball down brilliantly on his chest, turned, and saw an effort deflect wide for a corner. In the second half, he did something very similar when his chest control took the ball away from the defender, before taking a touch and drilling a tame effort at the keeper.

He's still understandably developing in areas, one of those being his finishing. He had the ability to engineer opportunities for himself but sometimes lacked the composure to put the ball in the back of the net. That will come, but his all-round game including his link-up with wing-back Anderson helped fashion chances.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting that Mac Boyd was on the plane but I guess he's the 3rd keeper as Bajic is with the French U21 squad. He was on loan at Melksham Town in Southern League South & West 1 last year so I would have thought he'd get another loan at a higher grade unless he's in line to be our regular u23 keeper. 

42 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Interesting that Mac Boyd was on the plane but I guess he's the 3rd keeper as Bajic is with the French U21 squad. He was on loan at Melksham Town in Southern League South & West 1 last year so I would have thought he'd get another loan at a higher grade unless he's in line to be our regular u23 keeper. 

France got knocked out tonight & he hasn’t featured (very much the 3rd keeper in the squad).

No idea if he’d join up therefore, seeing as he hasn’t been playing it would make sense.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Doesn’t look like Kane Wilson has gone based on those vids either 

30 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Or Idehen, Kadji either.

Too many players in front of them now.

Don’t know about Kadji but Wilson, Idehen & Sam Pearson (who I haven’t seen in any of the training footage) are all considered surplus to requirements I think & they will all move on if we can find takers for them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t know about Kadji but Wilson, Idehen & Sam Pearson (who I haven’t seen in any of the training footage) are all considered surplus to requirements I think & they will all move on if we can find takers for them.

Would say L2 for Idehen and conference south for Pearson is probably what we’d be looking at. Maybe conference national. I think OTC has overtaken Kadji for sure, which is crazy when you consider the start of last season Kadji had vs OTC being very average in an awful Yate side. Long old time in footy. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Joe Duncan is another keeper who's made the trip so it's a goalkeeping contingent of Max, Harvey Wiles-Richards, Mac Boyd and Joe Duncan. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Would say L2 for Idehen and conference south for Pearson is probably what we’d be looking at. Maybe conference national. I think OTC has overtaken Kadji for sure, which is crazy when you consider the start of last season Kadji had vs OTC being very average in an awful Yate side. Long old time in footy. 

I'd guess L2 or NL for Pearson, he was with Yeovil then Wimbledon last season and while it took him a while to break in at Wimbledon he was generally a regular after he did.

4 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Think I spot Jed Meerholz, Marlee Francois, Seb Palmer-Holden, Ephraim Yeboah, Joe Duncan, Mac Boyd,  Raphael Araoye, Harry Leeson and Callum Wood as the youngsters going to Austria. Any I've missed or got wrong?

This was my list of non first teamers:

• Harry Leeson
  • Callum Wood
  • Raph Araoye
  • Harv Wiles-Richards
  • Marlee Francois
  • Seb Palmer-Houlden
  • Ephraim Yeboah
  • Mac Boyd
  • Joe Duncan

plus I think one of:

• Jamie Knight-Lebel or Jose-Brian Casa-Grande or Jed Meerholz
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Did Sam Pearson make the trip

Not that I could see, nor:

• Omar Taylor-Clarke
  • Dylan Kadji
Edited by Davefevs

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

• Harry Leeson
  • Callum Wood
  • Raph Araoye
  • Harv Wiles-Richards
  • Marlee Francois
  • Seb Palmer-Houlden
  • Ephraim Yeboah
  • Mac Boyd
  • Joe Duncan

plus I think one of:

• Omar Taylor-Clarke
  • Dylan Kadji

No OTC? Must be injured?

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Add Joe Low to that list.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

• Harry Leeson
  • Callum Wood
  • Raph Araoye
  • Harv Wiles-Richards
  • Marlee Francois
  • Seb Palmer-Houlden
  • Ephraim Yeboah
  • Mac Boyd
  • Joe Duncan

plus I think one of:

• Omar Taylor-Clarke
  • Dylan Kadji

If Casa-Grande made the trip that would be 5 keepers in Austria. 

12 hours ago, Mr X said:

Am I right in thinking Pearson always takes his teams to Austria for pre-season training? (excluding Covid)

Higher altitude so the players have to work that bit harder with an aim of creating better stamina. I noticed last season that the squad was able to last a match better than many previous City team. 

That's my opinion, some will agree and some will not.