IGNORED

RIP Chris Garland

A true south Bristol boy, brought up in the flats overlooking what became the Dolman Stand (The Nelson Mandela House flats from Del and Rodney fame) and never strayed from his roots. Played for City in three spells, earning the club a massive (for the time £100k) fee for his move to Chelsea, the second spell he came back and kept us in the top flight with his goals v Liverpool, and as a mark of the man he returned for a third time when the club was skint and on it's Knees in the old 4th division and helped us out signing on non contract terms ( ie he played for just expenses) to help the club .

One of our own. RIP Chris 

• Like 6

A true local hero.

Like many on here Chris was the player that I always tried to emulate when I put my boots on for local kickabouts and, in supporting from the East End, someone who I was always in awe of as ‘one of our own’. Probably our first ‘superstar’ that actually made it on to the national stage. 

Rest easy Chris and thanks for the memories. 

• Like 1

So sad to hear of the passing of Chris. My top city hero. I was upset when he was sold to Chelsea, but when he came back during that first season in the old First division, I and many other City fans  thought we were going to stay up. I Like many others on here remember his 2 goals against Liverpool and the atmosphere that night was the greatest I have ever experienced at the "Gate".  RIP Chris, you will never be forgotten. He truly was the first one I could call "One of our own". Please Mr Lansdown, we need  a really big effort to recognise this great servant  to the club and keep his memory alive after we have gone.  

• Like 6

Very sad to hear this news. I still have childhood memories of him , then watching him on TV for Chelsea, and quite clear memories of his 2nd spell here where he scored important goals and was so wholehearted. 
I met him a few times and he was a nice, easy going guy. 
Now free from illness but his legend lives on. 

Even after Chris Garland made his City debut in the 60s, although dressed in smart clobber, he still found time to chat and muck around with us scruffy urchins, whilst his lovely girlfriend looked on and waited patiently.

That simply wouldn't happen nowadays. 

My mates and I still treasure those little memorable moments. We will be forever grateful 

Chris was a truly talented and exciting player. I remember him as being modest, softly-spoken and friendly. I don't suppose he ever changed.

The best tribute I can pay Chris Garland is to say that, in some ways, he was Atyeo-esque. A legend, a hero and, let us never forget, a saviour.

RIP Chris Garland and thank you for everything.

• Like 6

My boyhood hero. The only person I have ever got an autograph from. 
I remember, some time in the late  ‘80’s, being in the White Heart at Congresbury. The place was packed and rocking. Chris came in with a lady and tripped over a mat. The place went silent, and then erupted in one of the biggest cheers I have ever heard. I was sat at the bar all evening and I know he had to pay for nothing that night. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedEd73 said:

Sleep well Chris, and thanks for everything you did and the sacrifices you made for City.

Flashback for the Fans link attached for those in a nostalgic mood.

Condolences to his family and friends.
RIP to my first footballing star.
And thanks to RedEd73 for posting this, hadn't seen it before and whilst not the greatest quality, very interesting.
How many Chealsea players today will be working as a greengrocer when they retire?

• Thanks 1

Spotted playing football in Greville Smyth Park to watching his debut in 1966 under Alan Dicks then returning to play in a city shirt again to save us from relegation from the old first division Chris had city blood running through his veins a truly gifted player and a fantastic bloke RIP Chris you will not be forgotten by me or our club condolences to your family.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zippycar said:

Condolences to his family and friends.
RIP to my first footballing star.
And thanks to RedEd73 for posting this, hadn't seen it before and whilst not the greatest quality, very interesting.
How many Chealsea players today will be working as a greengrocer when they retire?

great memories and a truly great player