IGNORED

The Injured List

BCFCGav

8 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The McCrorie one is certainly new ground for me, 'bacterial infection'. Sounds more ill than injured. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Didn't he undergo a hernia operation just before his arrival. Perhaps he got a infection off the back of that operation?

• Like 1

Barring Bajic taking the bench keeper role from HWR (loan lined up for Harv maybe?), it’s the same 20 from Wednesday, including Yeboah on the bench! Good on the lad. So no new knocks, no new returns.

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

• Thanks 1

Not City related but horrible ACL epidemic in the early part of this season.

Both Courtois and Militao at Real, Timber at Arsenal and potentially Mings at Villa, thought not sure that one is certain (but it is a bad one). Crap for the players and clubs. 

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Both Courtois and Militao at Real, Timber at Arsenal and potentially Mings at Villa, thought not sure that one is certain (but it is a bad one). Crap for the players and clubs. 

As the game becomes faster….

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I heard the other day ACL's are hugely more prevalent than they were 20/30 years ago, 16x more so, or something ridiculous like that anyway. May have been on the Forever Bristol City blog.

I think it was partly put down to Academies and much more football at an early age leading to problems later on, but it's also happening in younger age groups, and notably there a lot amongst top players in women's football too.

Mind you we used to play football down the park all day every day in the holidays when we were young and never had injuries like that.

Not enough give in modern manicured pitches perhaps?

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I heard the other day ACL's are hugely more prevalent than they were 20/30 years ago, 16x more so, or something ridiculous like that anyway. May have been on the Forever Bristol City blog.

I think it was partly put down to Academies and much more football at an early age leading to problems later on, but it's also happening in younger age groups, and notably there a lot amongst top players in women's football too.

Mind you we used to play football down the park all day every day in the holidays when we were young and never had injuries like that.

Not enough give in modern manicured pitches perhaps?

A lot of them are rock hard underneath.

As above, the game is so much faster, so twisting at speed is a big reason along with the above.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A lot of them are rock hard underneath.

As above, the game is so much faster, so twisting at speed is a big reason along with the above.

Sorry, are you agreeing modern pitches may be a factor?

The game may well be much faster and take it's toll, but that wouldn't be a factor in Atkinson's injury, for instance, as far as I can picture it.

42 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sorry, are you agreeing modern pitches may be a factor?

The game may well be much faster and take it's toll, but that wouldn't be a factor in Atkinson's injury, for instance, as far as I can picture it.

Yep, completely I am.

From memory Rob’s looked like one of those innocuous ones near the touchline where his foot slipped a bit, then studs gripped whilst his body weight continued, causing a hyper extension.  Not a huge one, but enough of a sudden “jar” to rupture the ACL.  Might just be down to the pitch and the surround being slightly different in structure.  I don’t remember it because a grass to artificial surround???

Players like Benik’s (the time he did it with us) were innocuous too from what we were told.  Controlling a ball both feet off the ground, one bent upwards to control it and and landing on the other leg a bit awkwardly causing more of a sideways hyper extension.  From what I heard about Benarous’s first one, it was very, very similar.

Weimann’s I still can’t quite work out how he did it, unless he’d done it a few seconds earlier, but hadn’t really twisted until that point.

A good few years ago we used to see a few where studs got caught into turf and body went in a different direction.

• Like 1

It's an injury that used to be rare but judging by the last 4 or 5 seasons it looks like we can now almost 'expect' at least one of our players to go down with an ACL injury every season.

Think we had a couple in the U.21/U.18's last season too?

While nothing much can be done to slow down the game, you'd think clubs would be looking as a priority at any other areas they can change to limit the number of these injuries, including the make up of pitches, because this is a serious ongoing problem, with everything pointing to it likely to get even worse.

• Like 2

Looks like McCrorie and Weimann still unavailable..presumably no change with Atkinson, Benarous, Conway.

Weimann however should be in contention for Hull away..let's maybe not rush, although the following game is Swansea away, then International break then West Brom on 16th.

On the plus side, nobody new.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Ross is an odd one for sure. Just seemed like an infection but seems that be dragging now. Hopefully it all clears up soon. Three games now before the international break? Not sure it is worth rushing any of them back if the rest of the squad stays fine.

I’m guessing that the original injury that caused him to miss pre-season games wasn’t an infection, maybe a wound that subsequently became infected???

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

My guess it was the wound getting infected after his hernia op too.

Oooh, could be.  He obviously was fit to play pre-season, maybe wound opened up.

Every time I coughed or sneezed after my hernia I thought I’d split open the stitches.

4 hours ago, RedRoss said:

My guess it was the wound getting infected after his hernia op too.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Oooh, could be.  He obviously was fit to play pre-season, maybe wound opened up.

Every time I coughed or sneezed after my hernia I thought I’d split open the stitches.

That would make sense.

I was wondering whether it was a bacterial illness, e.g. Scarlet Fever, or an infection, e.g. to an open wound. 

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Excellent management by NP.

I think for Ayman the goal this season has to be to get consistently fit & a regular for the 21s & if that leads to him being in the first team squad at some point then we treat it as a bonus.

This latest injury is nowhere near as bad as his 2 ACLs but rightly Nige is going to be extremely cautious with him.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 14/08/2023 at 15:21, Davefevs said:

As the game becomes faster….

I was looking at a team sheet circa 1976. 

You could show up every week back then and our team would be completely predictable. Injuries happened of course, notably to Cheese, but we, as most, were playing the same 11/12 every week and in cup ties. 

The amount of injuries you get with the squad double or more the size shows something has changed. 

I’m not smart enough to know what! Maybe we need more mud?!

• Like 1

I'm no expert but perhaps a combination of items. Some of which may contradict each other.

The speed and precision of the game now vs then is vastly higher. Possibly higher than ever when combined? Although some great technical play given the challenges and pitches.

I would suggest the strength and conditioning while better me and plans are more finely tuned. This despite fitness, strength and conditioning being better can also mean a need for not perfect but much more optimal conditions.

Thereby making the risk of injuries of varying types greater. Game was more physical, players on average less slender then probably, but more robust which perhaps despite greater physicality reduces the risk of serious injuries.

All the above perhaps combine to give less of a margin for error when it comes to some types of injuries and risk of it.

Looks as though Wells joins his competition in the 9 position on the injured ranks. Bell will most likely serve in the central role.

Speculation but surely a very recent injury for Wells given he was interviews previewing the game yesterday, and his lack of a replacement in the squad (we name 8 subs, allowed 9). No returns.

Chance for back to back league wins today. COYR ?⚪❤️

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

Wells

I think any and all subs today were in response to a low-quality performance rather than any new knocks.

But our Dickie will be out on Friday, suspended (one match for a second yellow right?).

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

• Like 2