IGNORED

Scott money - What’s required?

AshtonRobin21

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not too bothered about a striker with one caveat being how long is Weimann out for.

We believe Conway is out for 12 weeks, any further detail on Weimann? If it's a while look at a 6 month loan perhaps. We have Wells but the competition and or covet is also quite important.

I can honestly see the club taking a 'make do and mend' approach to the forward options. If everyone was fit and available, we'd not be looking at making any significant additions in that area, a 6 month loan might sound like a plan, until you crunch the numbers and realise that you're simply paying for someone not good enough to get in to the side of the club that own them, which when you think we'd be unlikely to want a 'loan with view to buy' doesn't sound great, and if Conway returns from injury the future would surely see him starting as he is expected to be here in a medium term rather than a loan signing who goes back.

Wonder if any of the academy lads could be considered 45-minutes ready for the Championship on a regular basis? 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Those are the three positions I would say we could do with filling…well, at least 2 out of 3.

I don’t think we need a striker.  We have Wells, Bell and Cornick who can all play centrally, and we don’t know when Tommy is back either.  Nige won’t collect players!!! ?

It does seem from last nights interview that Naismith is seen as a midfielder, so that probably makes CB the biggest priority.  The biggest issue is what profile CB do you get?  A first-pick?  A Project / Succession-Plan?  A competitor?  With Naismith (contradict previous point), Roberts and McCrorie all able to play CB, maybe a CM should be the priority!

In Lloyd Grossman voice - “Brian, it’s over to you”.

Goalkeeper is a funny one…I don’t think it’s unkind to say Nige probably doesn’t plan to expose HWR, but if so, he should try to move on Bajic, to give him the emergency loan option.

For the striker, I was wondering if Nige would get in a loan 'til Jan, but again, those cost. CB - if we get someone, I'd hope it'd be a young competitor - if he wants a project, just wait for Araoye to develop a little more. GK - I personally would like someone in to challenge Max, rather than just a back up. I agree that a CM should be the priority, as that's what we just lost.... but I'm unsure if we should get a defensive player or attacking player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I thought Knight looked good there last night tbh, albeit against L1 opponents.

Personally, I can see Annis playing there, or Ayman when fit.

To be fair I didn't see last night so maybe Knight can play that role. AM and AB are just unknowns in that role at the moment, they may be able to do it? Personally I'd rather we took a few quid out of the 20m and got a proven replacement as a creator

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

See above, Bajic would negate that opportunity because of the appearances he’s made in France previously.

Difficult one regarding CB . If you bring in a younger player ie a 22/23 year old . Are you blocking the two young players knight lebel & Arayeo (spelling) or do you send them on loan. I think we need a holding midfielder as succession for James . Would also like a experienced keeper like Nikki a few seasons ago . He would of been perfect now. 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 1

We 100% need a replacement for Scott as two from Williams/James/king leave us lacking mobility.  One is fine but if we are playing 2 Eights, we need legs & someone who can go past their man . Still in no way convinced by Max and need an experienced GK  & CB imo.   

58 minutes ago, INCRED said:

You really believe that do you? 

What is said in the open isn’t necessarily always the truth. None of us know the wage budget but if the club have planned for Scott to go in this window and a particular valuation has been met the I would be very surprised if they haven’t got this scenario covered and we could still see a couple of additions 

I recall NP saying a few weeks ago on RB that there may be scope still to bring in players. I think that comment was very much linked to Scott being sold 

Believe what? We are right at the limit for wage caps, that's the truth, nothing to believe or not believe.

With Scott going and Kalas not re-signing (which might not have been predicted previously) there may be some room for someone on low wages but we aren't going to be signing 4/5 marquee players like some of the lists in this thread.

Deluded if you think we are. 

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Those are the three positions I would say we could do with filling…well, at least 2 out of 3.

I don’t think we need a striker.  We have Wells, Bell and Cornick who can all play centrally, and we don’t know when Tommy is back either.  Nige won’t collect players!!! ?

It does seem from last nights interview that Naismith is seen as a midfielder, so that probably makes CB the biggest priority.  The biggest issue is what profile CB do you get?  A first-pick?  A Project / Succession-Plan?  A competitor?  With Naismith (contradict previous point), Roberts and McCrorie all able to play CB, maybe a CM should be the priority!

In Lloyd Grossman voice - “Brian, it’s over to you”.

Goalkeeper is a funny one…I don’t think it’s unkind to say Nige probably doesn’t plan to expose HWR, but if so, he should try to move on Bajic, to give him the emergency loan option.

Regards centre backs, I reckon Vyner and Dickie are a nailed on starting partnership with Atkinson the eventual cover for Dickie. 

So to bring in a ready made starter means one will be disappointed, but equally gives us cover for further injury.

I'd be inclined to sign a Tanner/Roberts style 'one for the future, but maybe now' player from League 1.

And that player Fevs is...??

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dredd said:

To be fair I didn't see last night so maybe Knight can play that role. AM and AB are just unknowns in that role at the moment, they may be able to do it? Personally I'd rather we took a few quid out of the 20m and got a proven replacement as a creator

I don't disagree Dredd, its asking a lot from unknown quantities I do admit but I've always thought AM was bought to replace Scott rather than in addition to. I guess we will find out now.

Totally left field thought, could Naismith play there? He has the vision after all.

Edited by Ska Junkie

The best GK and CM we can lay our hands on - and with a view to them being first choice starters, not back up.

Summer 24, when the Alex Scott hype has blown over, we can refurbish midfield at sensible prices (King, Williams, James all ooc) - selling clubs are going to view us as stavros loadsamoney at the minute.

Summer 25, upgrade the forwards - we need proper quality to support Conway, who will fire us to promotion (if he hasn't been flogged!).  

Rome wasn't built in a day. Not by us, at any rate. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Flames 1

I’m not a fan of doing swap deals when you are the minor party, as we clearly are here, but I wouldn’t have been too disappointed if we had included James Hill (Matty’s son) in the Scott deal as it would have given us a more experienced CB cover option than the 2 lads who are currently on the bench until Rob Atkinson is back, enabled us to have used Naismith in midfield if necessary & added a player who has the potential to increase in value.

Doesn’t seem likely though.

My hunch is we will add a more experienced goalkeeper & a young midfielder to the squad & that will be it.

Still think too that we would like to shift a couple of players who are out of favour like Sam Pearson, Idehen & Bajic on permanently if we could.

• Like 2

I think as stated above GK, CB, CM and Forward is what we need.

For keeper I'd potentially put in a cheeky offer for Marcus Bettinelli 3rd choice keeper there, 31 has plenty of experience he shouldn't upset the balance.

CB if not Kalas then Tom Holmes or Eiran Cashin would be the 2 I'd prefer. You can't really blame Holmes for the mess Readong are in and Cashin seems to be one of the next big things at Derby.

CM it has to be Callum Styles or Tim Iroegbunam both jave championship experience, both good ages in terms of potential sell on. I do have a choice from completely left field who is Marěj Jurásek from Slavia Prague I've been impressed whenever I've seen him.

For CF it's difficult because you want someone who would bring something different but also fit in... personally I'd go for someone like Sydney Van Hooijdonk (son of Pierre) if we can get him on the cheap from Bologna. Kasper Junker has had a decent season out in Japan and is out of contract at the end of the year so should be cheap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't disagree Dredd, its asking a lot from unknown quantities I do admit but I've always thought AM was bought to replace Scott rather than in addition to. I guess we will find out now.

Totally left field thought, could Naismith play there? He has the vision after all.

I had forgotten about Naismith to be honest, he does have the ability to make those kinds of passes. Keeping him fit seems to be a bit of an issue though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not a fan of doing swap deals when you are the minor party, as we clearly are here, but I wouldn’t have been too disappointed if we had included James Hill (Matty’s son) in the Scott deal as it would have given us a more experienced CB cover option than the 2 lads who are currently on the bench until Rob Atkinson is back, enabled us to have used Naismith in midfield if necessary & added a player who has the potential to increase in value.

My hunch is we will add a more experienced goalkeeper & a young midfielder to the squad & that will be it.

Still think too that we would like to shift a couple of players who are out of favour like Sam Pearson, Idehen & Bajic on permanently if we could.

Whilst Tanner is "Ok" at RB. We all know that McCrorie was bought to be first choice there.

Who knows what "Bacterial infection" means? It could be something quite small, or something like glandular fever (which would take months to get over).

With that in mind and unless there is any more information forthcoming from the club at some stage, I would certainly look at the RB position as one we need to strengthen in. 

At present, we are once again lopsided in our attacking endeavours and for all our strengths on the left flank, any attack down the right seems to peter out (generally due to the default GT's backward pass). As a defender I like Tanner, but he does get a nosebleed if he goes past the half way line.

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Believe what? We are right at the limit for wage caps, that's the truth, nothing to believe or not believe.

With Scott going and Kalas not re-signing (which might not have been predicted previously) there may be some room for someone on low wages but we aren't going to be signing 4/5 marquee players like some of the lists in this thread.

Deluded if you think we are. 

Who said 4/5 marquee signings?

Thats ridiculous and not what I stated and just because the club say we are close to a wage limit, of course they will say that if they know they will need to go into the market for players once everyone knows we have sold a player for £20m + 

a couple of signings perhaps, you can off set wages through signing on fees maybe or other options 

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Whilst Tanner is "Ok" at RB. We all know that McCrorie was bought to be first choice there.

Who knows what "Bacterial infection" means? It could be something quite small, or something like glandular fever (which would take months to get over).

With that in mind and unless there is any more information forthcoming from the club at some stage, I would certainly look at the RB position as one we need to strengthen in. 

At present, we are once again lopsided in our attacking endeavours and for all our strengths on the left flank, any attack down the right seems to peter out (generally due to the default GT's backward pass). As a defender I like Tanner, but he does get a nosebleed if he goes past the half way line.

Can’t see us signing a third RB, Tanner will be first choice until McCrorie is fit & if he got injured Sykes would probably fill in or Leeson might get a go.

Like you I have no idea how long this could keep him out but expect any expenditure to be targeted elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think you're right Graham. I don't think Steve Lansdown's Bristol City are going to make any marquee signings any time soon. 

4 hours ago, tin said:

More in the mould of Jack Clarke, not that we could get him.

Along with a keeper, an enforcer, and a No.9.

Agree with all that, plus another CB. But I read it that we don't have enough headroom in the wage structure for all of those, all at once, right now. 

Irrespective of FFP, we've set ourselves a wage structure and will be sticking to it. So we pprobably need a few of the higher wages to drop off first, meaning the positions you mention will have to be strengthened gradually.

James, Williams, Weimann, King all ooc at end of the season. Vyner too I think if we can't come to an agreement.

I reckon there might be room for just 1 or 2 more, wage-wise, before this window closes. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agree with all that, plus another CB. But I read it that we don't have enough headroom in the wage structure for all of those, all at once, right now. 

Irrespective of FFP, we've set ourselves a wage structure and will be sticking to it. So we pprobably need a few of the higher wages to drop off first, meaning the positions you mention will have to be strengthened gradually.

James, Williams, Weimann, King all ooc at end of the season. Vyner too I think if we can't come to an agreement.

I reckon there might be room for just 1 or 2 more, wage-wise, before this window closes. 

Is the thing though we could bring forward a bit of it now.

For 2, if not 3 reasons.

1) The £20-25m in headroom (think of it in a 3 year cycle).

2) The fact TV money is set to rise next season, dunno how much by however.

3) The fact we know the £28.5m pre tax loss drops off in a year to be replaced by a probably much lower one from 2022-23.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, liammiles said:

Anyone know anything about that striker Oxford had up top last night. looked quite good at holding the ball up could be something we need, if he isn't ready for the championship yet I hope we are keeping tabs on him.

Do you mean Goodrham? He had a few efforts on goal, but he's listed as a midfielder.

O'Donkor started up front, 18 years old with 2 goals in 30 apps.

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you mean Goodrham? He had a few efforts on goal, but he's listed as a midfielder.

O'Donkor started up front, 18 years old with 2 goals in 30 apps.

I think it was O'Donkor, 2 in 30 is not great but at 18 years old he has a lot of time to develop.

Edited by liammiles

6 hours ago, mozo said:

Regards centre backs, I reckon Vyner and Dickie are a nailed on starting partnership with Atkinson the eventual cover for Dickie

So to bring in a ready made starter means one will be disappointed, but equally gives us cover for further injury.

I'd be inclined to sign a Tanner/Roberts style 'one for the future, but maybe now' player from League 1.

And that player Fevs is...??

I know it is early times in Dickie's city career but I feel like Atkinson will eventually take back the spot from him. There will be good competition for places but I feel Atkinson is going to be to good to be sat on the bench. With Vyner still not signing a contract if that continues to linger on I wouldn't be surprised if Pearson starts playing Atkinson and Dickie when Atkinson is back if Vyner isn't willing to commit himself. I have been very impressed with Vyner this season so far and I hope his form continues but it would be nice for him to commit himself. I just hope this injury doesn't have an effect on the pre-injury Atkinson because the pre-injury Atkinson was brilliant and our best centre-back.

• Like 2