IGNORED

Numbers up?

glastored

Numbers don't mean a lot nowadays,

if I was playing I would be quite happy with what ever number was on my back.

So looking at the squad,it would appear that the only players in the squad that need to be allocated numbers are

Haydon Roberts 

Rob Dickie

Ross McGrorie 

and Jason Knight

The game at Portsmouth MIGHT give us some indication   

Some changes I believe are in place...

O'Leary #1

McCrorie #2

Pring #3

Knight #12

Dickie #16

Roberts #24

Everything lower than 21 is the same though otherwise.

Believe Harry Leeson may be taking Kalas' #22 and Raphael Araoye will take #27. If I were betting I'd probably hand Taylor-Clarke #23 too and believe one of Knight-Lebel or Callum Wood will take #25. Maybe Meerholz at #31... but we're getting into the numbers nobody cares about at this point.

Edited by TBW

Unless there is something going on with Scott meaning the 7 shirt is suddenly free, I think they are widely known.

Max O’Leary has moved to 1, McCrorie 2, Cam Pring to 3, Knight 12, Dickie 16, Roberts 24 & Leeson has moved to 22 & Bajic to 23. Araoye didn’t have a squad number last season but is 27.

• Admin
3 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

Another example of the club failing to maximise revenue from merchandise

I wouldn't put it past the club to not have any numbers etc in stock to use

There seemed to be a number of clubs releasing these details yesterday online, so not unique to us

Though apart from those wanting to put details on their shirts it really isn't something to be panicking about

On 18/07/2023 at 20:45, phantom said:

Do shirt numbers actually have any relevance anymore? 

With players having chosen numbers etc long gone that 1-11 stood for anything 

Plenty of players still really care about their number - look at ManUre, where Ronnie did a swap to get the number 7. And Wells seems very fond of 21. 

I remember Michael Ballack always loved the number 13 shirt.

On 19/07/2023 at 16:54, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

They can do to some supporters and players. Traditionalists often like to see centre halves at 5 & 6, wingers at 7 & 11, a midfield of 4, 8 and 10 and the centre forward at 9. Being 9 at Newcastle for example was a big deal and every play making midfielder in Europe wants to wear 10. No italian Iikes to wear 23 as its their equivalent of our 13.

Is that right? I always thought it was 17

8 is lucky in China

Squad numbers

1 Max O’Leary

2 Ross McCrorie

3 Cameron Pring

4 Kal Naismith

5 Rob Atkinson

6 Matty James

7 Alex Scott

8 Joe Williams

9 Harry Cornick

10 Andy King

11 Anis Mehmeti

12 Jason Knight

13 Harvey Wiles-Richards

14 Andi Weimann

15 Tommy Conway

16 Rob Dickie

17 Mark Sykes

18 Ayman Benarous

19 George Tanner

20 Sam Bell

21 Nahki Wells

23 Stefan Bajic

24 Haydon Roberts

26 Zak Vyner

27 Jamie Knight-Lebel

28 Raphael Araoye

On 19/07/2023 at 07:29, Robbored said:

Do they?………….:cool2:

I’ve never heard that before.

You haven't? Its a cracker!

You should have heard the one about the City fan who drove a mini-bus full of Gasheads to Wembley!

(sorry Al, slow Friday)

?

Edited by Curr Avon

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That’s OTC, Francois, Kadji et al leaving before the window shuts one way or another 

Bit surprised on OTC as imagined he’d have been hoping to push from the fringes towards being established as a squad player. Wonder if a loan was always the plan or if he hasn’t shown what was hoped for in pre-season…

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No squad number for Leeson suggests Knight-Lebel & Araoye potentially are both on the bench tomorrow & 22 & 25 kept free in case we do add anyone over the next 27 days.

22 suggests that there is a minuscule chance of Kalas. Leeson has been in and around the squad last year and done well pre season so I don’t see him being loaned out, particularly with McCrorie currently out. Surprised he’s not been allocated a number and he wore 22 pre season so there has to be some reason why that’s currently blank 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

22 suggests that there is a minuscule chance of Kalas. Leeson has been in and around the squad last year and done well pre season so I don’t see him being loaned out, particularly with McCrorie currently out. Surprised he’s not been allocated a number and he wore 22 pre season so there has to be some reason why that’s currently blank 

It may simply be practicality. If he is behind Tanner and McCrorie, with Sykes, Scott, Vyner and Weimann able to play right back in a pinch, there may be a desire to get him some more experience on the pitch in a way that may not be possible here.

26 man squad currently then, with 20 needed for a matchday. As others have mentioned, surprised no number for OTC and I thought Francois might be given minutes here and there.

As we could all see, Araoye and Knight-Lebel impressed in pre-season. 

Too much is read into squad numbers. While the lack of numbers for some of our youngsters could mean some are going to be loaned out it could just as easily mean theyre going to mainly play in the U21s. They will get a squad number if and when they're called up to the 1st team squad, as has been the case in previous seasons. 

• Like 1