IGNORED

Where is he?

headhunter

Who am I talking about? It's none other than Phil Alexander our Chief Executive. One could be forgiven for thinking he's gone missing in action as the silence is deafening from the pinnacle of non-Lansdown family officialdom within the club.

We became used to the self-aggrandizement of Mark Ashton and, in stark contrast, Richard Gould brought a calm assuredness to the role that you wouldn't find any detractors from the firm opinion that off the field the club appeared in good hands.

As things stand right now I feel on the field is fine, although let's review that come September 2 - we'll be 5 games in & hopefully in Round 3 of the Carabao as we enter the first international break.

Am I right in my opinion that the fanbase feels that off the field the club appear a little out of touch with us? The "kit" situation appears worthy of some degree of communication from the club - stick on badges, socks not matching, no away shirt. There's clearly something not right going on behind the scenes. Add to this the multi-branding that appears to be going on. The new badge took some getting used to but I quite like it but how long before the HPC has a larger than life Splatted Robin stuck on the cladding you can see from the road. I may have missed it but has there been a word of thanks achieving 14k in season ticket sales in a cost of living crisis?

I may be jumping the gun and next week there may well be some pre-season communique from the club. Steve may have a few words to say on Radio Bristol before PNE or put out a video on Robins TV? I'd just like a bit more output from Phil in a manner that shows we've hired a former Premier League CEO of the year, not someone drawing a salary in the 5 years before retirement who's opting to keep his head below the parapet rather than engage in potentially contentious discussions with fans and media.

He's clearly a very nice chap and has few detractors on the Palace forum as you can see here: https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=286479 .  However, this reply to a message I placed on their forum when he was announced as new CEO suggests maybe O'Neills might be down to him not Jon? 

Highly respected amongst his peers at other clubs, did a lot amongst the Croydon business community too. Lovely guy, however also carried the nickname 'Teflon Phil' amongst our fans, because he was here both times we went into Administration (in 2000, and again in 2010). He's good at finding major sponsorship deals, brokering kit deals, maximising hospitality revenue etc. He won't be identifying player talent or anything like that. But your club will be very lean and efficient commercially.

• Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

I couldn't agree more – it seems like we've taken a step backward off the field, doesn't it? While we have never been the strongest commercially, I felt that things were really starting to improve over the past few years. However, lately, it feels like we've been thrown right back to square one. The club's silence on matters like "splat" and the disastrous kit situation is once again deafening, and it's leaving us looking and feeling like amateurs. It's clear that the fanbase is becoming increasingly frustrated.

I understand that the UK distributor for Hummel has caused issues, but why not just communicate that to the fans? It's such a simple concept – effective communication is key, and by staying silent, they're only making things ten times worse. Admitting the challenges and keeping us informed would have gone a long way.

Honestly, at this point, I have no clue who's in control of the situation. As devoted fans, we deserve more transparency and respect from the club.

P.s This isn't aimed at Phil Alexander, more the fact we have no idea what's going on.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I couldn't agree more – it seems like we've taken a step backward off the field, doesn't it? While we have never been the strongest commercially, I felt that things were really starting to improve over the past few years. However, lately, it feels like we've been thrown right back to square one. The club's silence on matters like "splat" and the disastrous kit situation is once again deafening, and it's leaving us looking and feeling like amateurs. It's clear that the fanbase is becoming increasingly frustrated.

I understand that the UK distributor for Hummel has caused issues, but why not just communicate that to the fans? It's such a simple concept – effective communication is key, and by staying silent, they're only making things ten times worse. Admitting the challenges and keeping us informed would have gone a long way.

Honestly, at this point, I have no clue who's in control of the situation. As devoted fans, we deserve more transparency and respect from the club.

It’s been many years since I last bought replica shirt and I’m sure I’m not alone in not giving a shit who supplies our kit. To me the club shirt is a club shirt regardless which manufacturer produced it.

I really don’t understand why some posters think it’s such a big deal………….:dunno:

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, Robbored said:

It’s been many years since I last bought replica shirt and I’m sure I’m not alone in not giving a shit who supplies our kit. To me the club shirt is a club shirt regardless which manufacturer produced it.

I really don’t understand why some posters think it’s such a big deal………….:dunno:

Get back under your rock. You have to be blind to not see new kit releases are huge part of pre season for every club. I no longer care much for kits because my lad is now at an age where he doesn’t want to wear them but to say you don’t understand why others would find it a big deal is pretty ignorant but of course, not a surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 4

17 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Sorry to ruin your thread and misplaced theories, but the kit deal had absolutely nothing to do with the current CEO. 

You will need to blame someone else. 

Even if it was to do with our CEO, the buck stops at JL

Edited by David Brent

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I actually agree with you, Robbored but its preseason on OTIB a perfect storm for boredome induced hyperbol. "The silence is deafening!!"  ?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Sorry to ruin your thread and misplaced theories, but the kit deal had absolutely nothing to do with the current CEO. 

You will need to blame someone else. 

Fair enough. I figured he must have brought along an existing contact, having worked with them at Wycombe. Especially since we were the only club who completely ditched Hummel immediately. 
I stand corrected. (Said the man with the orthopaedic shoes!)

Back in Little Jon’s lap then ?

Edited by Harry

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Who am I talking about? It's none other than Phil Alexander our Chief Executive. One could be forgiven for thinking he's gone missing in action as the silence is deafening from the pinnacle of non-Lansdown family officialdom within the club.

We became used to the self-aggrandizement of Mark Ashton and, in stark contrast, Richard Gould brought a calm assuredness to the role that you wouldn't find any detractors from the firm opinion that off the field the club appeared in good hands.

As things stand right now I feel on the field is fine, although let's review that come September 2 - we'll be 5 games in & hopefully in Round 3 of the Carabao as we enter the first international break.

Am I right in my opinion that the fanbase feels that off the field the club appear a little out of touch with us? The "kit" situation appears worthy of some degree of communication from the club - stick on badges, socks not matching, no away shirt. There's clearly something not right going on behind the scenes. Add to this the multi-branding that appears to be going on. The new badge took some getting used to but I quite like it but how long before the HPC has a larger than life Splatted Robin stuck on the cladding you can see from the road. I may have missed it but has there been a word of thanks achieving 14k in season ticket sales in a cost of living crisis?

I may be jumping the gun and next week there may well be some pre-season communique from the club. Steve may have a few words to say on Radio Bristol before PNE or put out a video on Robins TV? I'd just like a bit more output from Phil in a manner that shows we've hired a former Premier League CEO of the year, not someone drawing a salary in the 5 years before retirement who's opting to keep his head below the parapet rather than engage in potentially contentious discussions with fans and media.

He's clearly a very nice chap and has few detractors on the Palace forum as you can see here: https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=286479 .  However, this reply to a message I placed on their forum when he was announced as new CEO suggests maybe O'Neills might be down to him not Jon? 

Highly respected amongst his peers at other clubs, did a lot amongst the Croydon business community too. Lovely guy, however also carried the nickname 'Teflon Phil' amongst our fans, because he was here both times we went into Administration (in 2000, and again in 2010). He's good at finding major sponsorship deals, brokering kit deals, maximising hospitality revenue etc. He won't be identifying player talent or anything like that. But your club will be very lean and efficient commercially.

Desperately searching for something to moan about. 

The new season hasn’t even started yet … Laughable. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt whatsoever that the O’Neills deal comes from Alexander. 
They were Wycombe’s kit manufacturer when he was there and now he’s left they’ve ditched them. 

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2023/may/02/o-neills-partnership-comes-to-an-end/

That’s a fair assumption to make IMO, but the robin splat farce is down to JL, of that I have little doubt. That and the kit deal make us look naff and unprofessional.

Edited by tin

5 hours ago, SBB said:

Get back under your rock. You have to be blind to not see new kit releases are huge part of pre season for every club. 

Is it a huge part of every club?….…:dunno:for some maybe but not fans of my generation. Personally the kit release means bugger all to me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

As usual Robbored, I believe it's crucial to delve deeper into this discussion rather than simplifying it to just a football kit. The significance of a football club's commercial presence goes far beyond aesthetics, as numerous threads on this forum and social media platforms indicate.

One cannot underestimate the importance of the commercial side of any football club. A football club is not merely a sports team; it is a business entity that must be financially stable to thrive and achieve success on and off the field. Ignoring the commercial aspect can lead to disastrous consequences, as exemplified by our recent near miss of a points deduction due to mismanagement of our finances. This close call should underscore the necessity of understanding and appreciating the impact of commercial sales on FFP compliance and overall financial stability. 

Commercial revenue serves as a vital lifeline for our football club. 

The revenue generated through commercial activities enables football clubs to invest in player acquisitions, training facilities, youth development programs, and other essential infrastructure. It directly influences a club's competitiveness. 

Furthermore, a strong commercial presence fosters a sense of identity and unity among fans. It is more than just financial gains; it is about building a connection with supporters and establishing a brand that resonates.  What they have done so far with the "splat' badge, the awful quality of clothing and other commercial items that are available to buy has done the exact opposite. When fans proudly wear the club's merchandise or see prominent sponsors displaying the club's logo, it enhances the sense of belonging and loyalty, which, in turn, contributes to the club's long-term sustainability.

Contrary to dismissing commercial concerns, it is imperative to recognise that football is a multi-faceted sport where on-field success and off-field financial stability are interconnected. Neglecting the commercial aspect risks the club's ability to maintain a competitive squad and adhere to financial regulations like FFP.

So, it may just seem like a shirt for you, but we cannot underestimate the importance of a robust commercial presence for any football club and I believe at the moment we simply don't have one that connects with our fanbase. 

I'm sure @Davefevscan give you the importance of commercial figures around FFP.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

As usual Robbored, I believe it's crucial to delve deeper into this discussion rather than simplifying it to just a football kit. The significance of a football club's commercial presence goes far beyond aesthetics, as numerous threads on this forum and social media platforms indicate.

One cannot underestimate the importance of the commercial side of any football club. A football club is not merely a sports team; it is a business entity that must be financially stable to thrive and achieve success on and off the field. Ignoring the commercial aspect can lead to disastrous consequences, as exemplified by our recent near miss of a points deduction due to mismanagement of our finances. This close call should underscore the necessity of understanding and appreciating the impact of commercial sales on FFP compliance and overall financial stability. 

The revenue generated through commercial activities enables football clubs to invest in player acquisitions, training facilities, youth development programs, and other essential infrastructure. It directly influences a club's competitiveness. 

Furthermore, a strong commercial presence fosters a sense of identity and unity among fans. It is more than just financial gains; it is about building a connection with supporters and establishing a brand that resonates.  What they have done so far with the "splat' badge, the awful quality of clothing and other commercial items that are available to buy has done the exact opposite. When fans proudly wear the club's merchandise or see prominent sponsors displaying the club's logo, it enhances the sense of belonging and loyalty, which, in turn, contributes to the club's long-term sustainability.

Contrary to dismissing commercial concerns, it is imperative to recognise that football is a multi-faceted sport where on-field success and off-field financial stability are interconnected. Neglecting the commercial aspect risks the club's ability to maintain a competitive squad and adhere to financial regulations like FFP.

So, it may just seem like a shirt for you, but we cannot underestimate the importance of a robust commercial presence for any football club and I believe at the moment we simply don't have one that connects with our fanbase. 

Kit sales will be a small dent in our commercial revenue, it'll be more things how Ashton Gate is used etc

Doesn't take away for fans at least it would be good to have a nice one

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

This lecture is quite unnecessary GR - I’m fully aware of the commercial importance to any football club, not just City.

However, you are missing my point made from a 50+ year City fan who’s seen pretty much everything before, including numerous kit releases none of which have had the slightest impact on me and that remains the same now.

It’s of absolutely zero interest to me who manufactured this season’s kit. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This lecture is quite unnecessary GR - I’m fully aware of the commercial importance to any football club, not just City.

However, you are missing my point made from a 50+ year City fan who’s seen pretty much everything before, including numerous kit releases none of which have had the slightest impact on me and that remains the same now.

Then….why comment on it unless you’re trolling?

I have no interest in who Taylor Swift is dating so I’d not comment on a thread of that nature. So why would you comment on a thread largely about the kit if you don’t care.

Its a bit needy and weird.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The club don't give a **** about fans like you commercially, they have your money every season for a season ticket and a few drinks and are fine with it.

A large percentage of the fan base do give a shit about the kit be it people who buy it or people who are into that side of football mainly because teams like us have tried to make it fashionable and cool.

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ah, I see, Robbored. Your wisdom, of course, is unmatched, and I stand in awe of your 50+ years of City fandom. It's truly impressive to have witnessed so much and remain entirely unswayed by the allure of the ever-changing kits.

While the commercial aspect may be critical for mere mortals like me, it's delightful to know that your unwavering passion for City transcends such trivial matters as the disappointing standard of this season's kit. It's almost as if you've ascended to a higher plane of football fandom, where materialistic concerns hold no sway.

Truly, I envy your unwavering devotion to the essence of the beautiful game, untainted by the glitz and glamour of commercial ventures. How refreshing it must be to remain uninterested in the machinations of the footballing world beyond the pure joy of watching the sport itself.

But do forgive me, Sir, for attempting to elaborate on the commercial importance that, for mere mortals like myself, affects the very fabric (pun intended) of football clubs. My humble mind was momentarily misguided, thinking that commercial success might play a role in shaping a club's finances.

Alas, I shall take solace in knowing that you, as a seasoned fan, can look upon the world of football with an enlightened eye, unburdened by the frivolities of kits and their makers.

Please, do continue to enlighten us with your profound insights, for it is evident that your wisdom knows no bounds**

Ps, it's Mr GR to you. I can troll just as hard as you Robbored, I'm not afraid to play you at your own game. ?️‍♂️

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • Flames 2

42 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Ah, I see, Robbored. Your wisdom, of course, is unmatched, and I stand in awe of your 50+ years of City fandom. It's truly impressive to have witnessed so much and remain entirely unswayed by the allure of the ever-changing kits.

While the commercial aspect may be critical for mere mortals like me, it's delightful to know that your unwavering passion for City transcends such trivial matters as the disappointing standard of this season's kit. It's almost as if you've ascended to a higher plane of football fandom, where materialistic concerns hold no sway.

Truly, I envy your unwavering devotion to the essence of the beautiful game, untainted by the glitz and glamour of commercial ventures. How refreshing it must be to remain uninterested in the machinations of the footballing world beyond the pure joy of watching the sport itself.

But do forgive me, Sir, for attempting to elaborate on the commercial importance that, for mere mortals like myself, affects the very fabric (pun intended) of football clubs. My humble mind was momentarily misguided, thinking that commercial success might play a role in shaping a club's finances.

Alas, I shall take solace in knowing that you, as a seasoned fan, can look upon the world of football with an enlightened eye, unburdened by the frivolities of kits and their makers.

Please, do continue to enlighten us with your profound insights, for it is evident that your wisdom knows no bounds**

Ps, it's Mr GR to you. I can troll just as hard as you Robbored, I'm not afraid to play you at your own game. ?️‍♂️

Wasted on that p rick, mate. Better to just put on ignore as got nothing to say. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Pitiful. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BasSavage88 said:

A large percentage of the fan base do give a shit about the kit be it people who buy it or people who are into that side of football mainly because teams like us have tried to make it fashionable and cool.

If other fans want to buy replica shirts and or other merchandise then that’s their  choice - I have no problem with that at all. 

My point is that  I no longer buy City merchandise. The last item I bought was a City polo shirt with the Robin logo shortly after the Robin logo was launched.