IGNORED

Preston North End home match thread

12 minutes ago, Cardy said:

I agree with a few others. That was a very flat uninspiring performance where we didn’t actually look ready for the start of season.

We were a team full of 5s & 6s today with no-one taking the responsibility of leading by example.

Both full backs & the midfield were so poor going forward that the forwards had nothing much to work with.

We are going to be bang in trouble if / when Scott leaves & we don’t reinvest well.

Generous with 5s and 6s. Vyner might rate a 6, maybe Dickiie and Bell get a 5, but I’m struggling after those. Not been this disappointed with an opening game since the Coppell/ Millen seasons.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

1st game of the season so stay calm.

But long ball game just does not work with current setup. As others have mentioned, not enough creativity from midfield. Wingbacks stay too deep so pressure builds. Needs sorting.

Suppose work in progress, but most on here, expect an improvement this season. For me the Championship is going to be a stronger division this year, which means City must improve. Mid table wilderness will be a good result for me. 

Long ball given bow Dickie and to some extent Vyner can carry it into midfield seems counterproductive to me especially vs big centre backs. Obviously we know Atkinson and Naismith when back fit can pass and carry.

We aren't really built for a long ball game IMO. That's not to say every pass should be short and that there isn't room for variety but it strikes me as likely to reduce our effectiveness if anything.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
19 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

You obviously didn’t go to the Sunderland game last year then …..

Assume you mean the one last August.

We actually played quite well in that. Was a competitive game albeit a narrow loss- some flaws but we looked creative and had approaching 60 pct of the ball.

Today not so much. However we got a point despite injuries and being below our optimum level which is something.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
29 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

It wasn't a reality check.

We drew with a decent championship side.

Reset your expectations to a reasonable level and you'll see that a draw with Preston is not a reality check.

Most people have Preston down as a side who are likely to be in the bottom half, if not the bottom third. I thought they looked pretty underwhelming today - in line with the aforementioned prediction.

If we're looking to push towards the top third of the division, we should probably be beating these teams at home.

That doesn't mean that today's result is a disaster. However, if we want to be ambitious and successful, then at some point we need to start raising our standards. I think it's healthy that people are a little bit disappointed with today's performance & result.

• Like 2

It was a drab game and City were disjointed throughout. Preston were well organised and much more composed on the ball than we were. Our inability to keep hold of the ball always made the equaliser likely  

I thought our best players were Vyner and Bell. Everyone else failed to make an impact. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Most people have Preston down as a side who are likely to be in the bottom half, if not the bottom third. I thought they looked pretty underwhelming today - in line with the aforementioned prediction.

If we're looking to push towards the top third of the division, we should probably be beating these teams at home.

That doesn't mean that today's result is a disaster. However, if we want to be ambitious and successful, then at some point we need to start raising our standards. I think it's healthy that people are a little bit disappointed with today's performance & result.

Agree, and so am I.

But it's not a reality check.

Just now, Chrizzler said:

Mine's changed now to Birmingham although it does give the date as 5th August

Yes mine's changed too now. Oh well! Provided I can get in for Birmingham as easily as I did today there'll be nothing to worry about. 

It certainly was smoother than the supporters club where they had to call in the techs twice to sort out problems with their new payment system. 

46 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

And today we played badly and was fortunate to come away with a draw against one of the poorer teams in the league. People have a right to voice frustration…

You mean the middle of the table Preston for the past couple of years and will be again,if that is what you call one of the poorer teams in this league then you are wrong,they won’t be anywhere near 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I guess time will tell

It will do but you seem to think they are relegation fodder which is clearly not true.Sure you will be fine with a defeat at millwall next week then seeing as they just missed out on the playoffs.I’m as disappointed as you but let’s not go over the top and talk nonsense 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

i know we have Scotty...(But for how long?)   But Watching Preston's Mads Jensen today,  made me think that he is just the type of creative midfielder we have been looking for for the past 4 seasons or so....and a snip at 1.3 Mill?   Oh well, I'm sure Knight will come good, given time. 

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

i know we have Scotty...(But for how long?)   But Watching Preston's Mads Jensen today,  made me think that he is just the type of creative midfielder we have been looking for for the past 4 seasons or so....and a snip at 1.3 Mill?   Oh well, I'm sure Knight will come good, given time. 

He was absolutely a Scott-like player and the longer the game went on the more he was getting the ball in deep positions and driving it forward. It was a complete contrast to our game, where no-one was willing to commit their players other than Pring. And if you are reliant on your left back to be the one beating players in midfield, then you should realise you have a significant problem.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chinapig said:

A number of people have used the word lacklustre to describe our performance, which is about right. Where on earth was the intensity and high press we were led to expect?

Bypassed by Freddie Woodman’s long kicks from passes back.

We actually stopped them from playing out quite well, forcing them back to Woodman several times.

What we didn’t do well was win the ball back from the balls we won in the air from the resultant header dropping down.

Opening 20 minutes the number of times Potts or Browne found themselves in space off of a loose ball really frustrated me.

Bit difficult to analyse off of RTV as you couldn’t see whole pitch, but the gap between Pring and Bell looked to be huge. I take it you were there. What did you think?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Superjack said:

Ffs. Nothing sums this place up as much as this.

But it was true, much as you might bury your head in the sand, were you there today? if you were how can you disagree, look there is a long way to go and Rome wasn't built in a day and all that but that was a disappointing start.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

And today we played badly and was fortunate to come away with a draw against one of the poorer teams in the league. People have a right to voice frustration…

How do you know they are one of the poorer teams ? 
first game all equal , we will know if they are one of the poorer teams come about Xmas and not before 

• Like 2

Firstly I would never have started Weimann, Cornick and Wells. I'd have played Williams, Sykes and Conway from the start.

Weimann in midfield set a precedent of being overrun by Preston's Midfield. He isn't a Midfielder. Massively missed Scott in there.

We were slow and sloppy, made way too many unforced errors and a few players bottled out of quite a few tackles. 

We didn't deserve the win so no complaints, but we can't play like that at Millwall next week or we will be in for a good beating.

On the positive I thought Vyner, Dickie and Williams played well.

• Like 4

Preston were on the whole excellent today but only tried to win the game when 1-0 down . Biggest 11 I’ve ever seen and could all play a bit but seemed to be reluctant to press their clear superiority in the first half . For our part we were never gonna get anywhere today without getting our wide men in behind them which we just didn’t do enough unfortunately. Dickie looks an absolute gem though !

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Offside said:

It was a drab game and City were disjointed throughout. Preston were well organised and much more composed on the ball than we were. Our inability to keep hold of the ball always made the equaliser likely  

I thought our best players were Vyner and Bell. Everyone else failed to make an impact. 

This is not a good sign.