IGNORED

Preston North End home match thread

Just now, 22A said:

Go back 12 months. City conceded a late equaliser at home to Blackpool and then a few days later in the League Cup, another late equaliser.

My theory is that it stuck in the player's minds no matter what they did, they couldn't win.

Come on City, prove me wrong in Wednesday night's Cup game.

I think it was 2 years ago but yes similar weather snd match

• Like 1

Not an awful result.

But for all the talk of pushing up the table and targeting the playoffs that was lacklustre.

Can always see the quality over teams we have in small patches, but need to be able to control games better. 

Too reactionary, weak on the second balls and passing was under par.

Hopefully was just a rusty one that we will look back on and laugh. Roll on Oxford and hopefully we can get a win under our belts 

• Robin 1

Lacklustre and far from great, but first game and some key creativity missing, plus PNE looked decent, particularly their pressing (to which we generally responded to poorly with inaccurate passing). But to read this thread without knowing the score, you’d assume we’d had a day out similar to Port Vale’s, rather than a point from a sub par performance. 

Very poor by us - even worse after we scored. I suggested the level of opposition we played pre-season was not great - shot down. Stand by it and looks like we were way off the pace after not playing anyone of note. Don’t think beating joke teams 7-0 helps much except fitness.

Bell and Vyner were good. Dickie ok. We missed Scott a lot.

Yes it’s early days but it was a very similar performance to so many with Pearson and dare I say it, LJ, in charge. 

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Did I miss the part where we signed a target man? The ******* constant hoofing to no one was awful 

Cornick is about 5’9 and every ball was in the air. I’d be fuming with that, he’s had a tough start at City, but working hard to make an impact, and he has to work with that. Must be infuriating.

• Like 3

Point not a disaster and shirts up for grabs against Oxford. 

It was poor and I am putting that on the midfield. Their midfield athletic, direct and aggressive. Williams a shell of the player we thought we were getting. James looked a year older imo. Weimann also looked lost in the few minutes he had I thought. Wanted to see Naismith, Scott and Knight in midfield and nothing changed my mind there. Injuries prevent that for now. 

Think it was a midfield issue today. Not too displeased otherwise. Pring and Tanner need to do better though if they want to keep playing. 

The front 3 all grafted but fed on scraps. Same with the subs. The cbs were pretty solid I thought. Knight grafted and will have better days. A bit of a let down after the summer. Can’t help but think we don’t play on the front foot enough. 

• Like 4

Not a great day for me. Just prior to kick-off my mate gives me a, chocolate éclair toffee and I lose a filling. God knows when I can get that sorted. Then I sit through a tepid game where the only plusses were Bell, Vyner and the fact we didn't get beat which we would of done against a more clinical side. The wind did spoil it though and worse things happen at sea so on to Millwall and, hopefully, a better performance. 

55 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So weak from Dickie. 

Not at all, can’t dive in, Keane is a big strong bloke…he shoots it under his foot.  Sometimes you’ve got to give credit to the attacker and not a lot Dickie can do.

54 minutes ago, Spike said:

Dickie was the only one pressuring him, the whole defence had got overconfident from surviving so much and switched off when they assumed it was a handball.

Although I think it would’ve been a soft handball, VAR gives it.

Having felt optimistic during pre-season, I have to say that today was a disappointment - both the performance and the result.

Feels like 2 points dropped against a relatively underwhelming Preston side. Appreciate it's only the first game of the season, conditions weren't great, PNE were physical etc, but if we want to push towards the top third of the division then we ought to stop allowing such excuses.

Really looked like we missed Scott today. If he leaves, it will be interesting to see how we go about "replacing" him/his effect on the team.

Plenty of time for us to put things right at least. COYR

43 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Get a grip. We were poor TODAY. When you look at what we had in midfield it’s obvious where the Scott money goes when we get it. Then we’ll be better.

I thought we were not going to be spending the Scott money due our wage ceiling. But based on today I hope you are right.

Extremely disappointing performance.

What annoys me, and supports those that were concerned about the level of our pre season opponents, is that we didn't do any of the things we did in pre-season, no pace, no high press apart from Cornick and no intricate sharp passing.

It felt as we were undercooked tbh. Happy to take a point from that in all honesty. 

• Like 3

Jeez another disappointing start.Dress it up any way you like ,I was expecting a far better performance than that and i really should know better having followed city for 50+ years.

Only positive is I cashed out my £50 city to win bet 5 mins before they equalised,it looked on the cards.

Hoprefully NP will have learned a bit more about the squad and his best 11 . 

Obviously long way to go ,but will have to improve from that .

I thought Preston did an excellent job on us. They pressed really well and dominated midfield. City hardly laid a glove on them. They were tough opponents and a little unfortunate to go one down. Wells’s shot rebounding off the post could have got anywhere but Bell reacted first to fire it in.

The Preston goal was deserved and very well created and taken.

1-1 was about the right result.

• Like 1