IGNORED

Preston North End home match thread

Decent point against a side that looked very secure in possession and strong at the back. Would have been nice to hold on for the 3 points. There is, however, a strong sense of seen it all before when we let sides equalise after 86 minutes. We seemed to lack control for long periods. Pluses - Knight looks sharp, Dickie confident, Zak as good as he was at his best last season, we have plenty of pace and fitness to bring off the bench. Would be more reassuring if we could nurse possession a little more, not always looking for the worldie pass. After that performance I'll take a point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

Nothing improved since last season. Just cannot keep possession under pressure. No real goal threat. More of the same from NP, a long hard season.

Get a grip. We were poor TODAY. When you look at what we had in midfield it’s obvious where the Scott money goes when we get it. Then we’ll be better.

• Like 6

Well, after weeks of chat and speculation and recently increased positivity and optimism, even talk from the club of challenging for the top 6 - well it’s a pretty sobering start to the season.

1-1 at home to a Preston team that looked physically and technically superior in most areas of the pitch - but more worrying was the lack of dynamism in our forward play - pretty much relying all game on direct plays which Preston countered all match (bar the long throw goal) - we were unable to ever build possession or pressure in their half, let alone final third - something Preston did to us all second half. Generally very poor in transition. 

Positives - Vyner and on the whole Dickie at the back - and for large parts we looked more organised and tidy defensively - but as Atkinson said (gave away) on Robins TV “you don’t have to be talented to do that, just committed” 

And that I think sums us up today - full of commitment but a lack of talent - what area(s) are we missing that talent? Specific areas of the pitch? Or tactically? I guess we’ll need to see some more games to find out.

Easy to say, but Alex Scott a huge miss - We will need to go shopping after today - that midfield was lacking pace and power today. 

Doom and gloom, no - but put the champers on ice for now!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
24 minutes ago, Midred said:

That explains why Preston are above us?

Yes. 

We have the same points, goal difference, and goals scored as Preston.

So you go to head to head results and in doing so look at points gained, goal difference and goals scored. But with a 1-1 draw that is also all identical.

So then it's number of wins - again both 0.

So then it's away goals scored. Preston have 1, we have 0.

So Preston are above us.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

As Nige states and others have referenced: if you're not going to win, don't lose. 

Never easy vs Preston. Despite them playing well, they were certainly not close to full strength, so I'd be quite encouraged if I was them. We didn't have the intensity we claim/aim to play with. Poor ball retention. Also lacked creativity in midfield, a concern if/when Scott goes. Someone like their 10 would benefit us as a replacement. Internally we have Mehmeti perhaps or Benarous when back?

Defence looked pretty solid. Vyner really good from what I saw. 

Not the best start but not the end of world either. Glad football is back regardless!

• Like 1

Usually optimistic. However.

Midfield nonexistent for me. Not impressed with any of Williams, Knight, or James today, all seemed lost without Scott in front.

Could count second balls or 50-50s won second half on one hand.

Tanner and Pring, by their own standards, poor.

Plusses - Dickie and Zak looked decently solid, former especially in an unfamiliar position.

Bell scoring - good for his confidence. Wells worked hard.

Ticketing system not working with android after the players-fans day is a farce.

Need to buckle up for Millwall off that performance.

• Like 2

Don't think anyone really stood out for me.

Pring was busy without any end product and Potts kept him quiet. Vyner misplaced a few headers and touches and still doesn't fill me with any confidence. Dickie was solid, Tanner unspectacular.

Knight, James and Williams were largely anonymous. Ball was in the air far too much and no one got a foot on it and tried to dictate play, massively missed Scott. 

Wells and Bell were busy but nothing was sticking and we were our own worst enemy constantly losing possession. I don't think Cornick was any worse just lack of chances and the times he did he was choosing the wrong option. 

Frustrating.

20 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

When you have followed City for eight decades as I have you recognise normal

Amen! I texted my teenage son earlier,,, asked if he was excited for the season starting,, of course he was,,, then i told him about david james signing and how we couldn’t concede with england world cup keeper playing for us… we are bristol city,,, letting people down on day 1 is what we do!

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Opening game of the season i never expect much, nor do i when we play Preston. 

But that was poor, very poor 

Go back 12 months. City conceded a late equaliser at home to Blackpool and then a few days later in the League Cup, another late equaliser.

My theory is that it stuck in the player's minds no matter what they did, they couldn't win.

Come on City, prove me wrong in Wednesday night's Cup game.