IGNORED

Catering in the Ashton Gate concourse

Lack of Action Man

31 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

While I agree about the cost, I had a steak and ale pie before kick off and it was lush mate. Best I've had for a while, last season I was disappointed with the pasties though.

I have to say, and I know trying to stock food for 20,000 plus people is a nightmare, the hot display cabinets were hardly rammed with 15 minutes to K.O.  
Another problem would be restocking. If you had some not selling in one area it would be virtually impossible to move them to another with the concourse rammed at H.T. 
As others have said, and it is annoying, running out is preferable to having stock unsold. 

Nice, I’ll give one a try next home game then.

Agree about the pasties last year, though I do like getting one - it’s the sort of thing I’ll only ever buy when at football. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

While I agree about the cost, I had a steak and ale pie before kick off and it was lush mate. Best I've had for a while, last season I was disappointed with the pasties though.

I have to say, and I know trying to stock food for 20,000 plus people is a nightmare, the hot display cabinets were hardly rammed with 15 minutes to K.O.  
Another problem would be restocking. If you had some not selling in one area it would be virtually impossible to move them to another with the concourse rammed at H.T. 
As others have said, and it is annoying, running out is preferable to having stock unsold. 

Steak and ale pie was the highlight of my day ? genuinely best pie I’ve had at any ground 

• Like 2

I was going to start this thread in Non-Football chat but thought it would get more attention on here.

From my own experience in the Dolman concourse, the options of food and drink as well as waiting time, especially at half-time was worse than last season.

The "Bear and Robins" outlet just inside the Dolman turnstiles has gone, now replaced be a standard outlet. They only had lager or Guinness on sale, no cider or ale option at all. They had no food for sale meaning if you wanted a pie and a pint you had to queue twice at two different outlets. The former outlet at the back wall of the Dolman concourse has been replaced by a doughnut shop! I would have thought that more suitable in the Upper Lansdown family area, not an area packed with thirsty blokes (& girls!)

I know of others who gave up waiting as the service was so slow, and many people were still queueing when City scored.

What was it like in the rest of the ground?

• Like 2

I tend to go in Lansdown when I am able to go. And have long given up queueing at half time. But on my way out for my half time dode of nicotine. The queues did seem longer and where still long on my way back to my seat in the Upper Lansdown. Less queues and better food options if you use the vendor just outside the turnstiles strikes me

Yep i gave up waiting at Halftime in the Dolman Concourse. They seem to have halved the outlets and the number of staff. I know somebody who has worked in the Dolman Concourse for a number of years. She was told not required this year due to outlets being made smaller and reduction in food provided. Not that i go there for food but the queues seemed to be worse than previous seasons. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

I was going to start this thread in Non-Football chat but thought it would get more attention on here.

From my own experience in the Dolman concourse, the options of food and drink as well as waiting time, especially at half-time was worse than last season.

The "Bear and Robins" outlet just inside the Dolman turnstiles has gone, now replaced be a standard outlet. They only had lager or Guinness on sale, no cider or ale option at all. They had no food for sale meaning if you wanted a pie and a pint you had to queue twice at two different outlets. The former outlet at the back wall of the Dolman concourse has been replaced by a doughnut shop! I would have thought that more suitable in the Upper Lansdown family area, not an area packed with thirsty blokes (& girls!)

I know of others who gave up waiting as the service was so slow, and many people were still queueing when City scored.

I had a nice pint of Gold from that outlet..

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Lansdown before the game there are so many staff but lots doing nothing. Also doesn't help when one is being shown the ropes on working the till! Surely this could have been done before?! So Amateurish.

Edited by Super
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Yep club need to address this , we need quality food / drink and service because we’re paying for it and queueing twice for a pie and a pint is not on as there is not time

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Lansdown before the game there are so many staff but lots doing nothing. Also doesn't help when one is being shown the ropes on working the till! Surely this could have been done before?! So Amateurish.

Reasonable number of staff but poorly/unevenly deployed perhaps?

Part of the issue is that demand outstrips the speed in which they can supply.

Which if you think about it, suggests that the club are getting it right in terms of quality and price as people are prepared to stand in a queue to buy things.

They could possibly increase sales by having some food vendors walking around the area with a insulated bag of pies and sausage rolls and a card reader, but there might be issues in terms of folk getting their usual discount via that method.

The area where the players park their cars outside the Lansdown would be prime estate for food retail - surprised that it isn't used, especially as the players get a coach from the HPC to the game. 

1 hour ago, Magger1 said:

Yep club need to address this , we need quality food / drink and service because we’re paying for it and queueing twice for a pie and a pint is not on as there is not time

Tried the award winning Buxton pies...shocking, wafer thin, little content...please let's have,Chunks back!!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The area where the players park their cars outside the Lansdown would be prime estate for food retail - surprised that it isn't used, especially as the players get a coach from the HPC to the game. 

Their car are driven to the ground for them to drive home in after a game

33 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Just go out to fan village, never any major queues outside & plenty of food & drink options.

That is only an option if you are in the Lansdown Stand

13 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

What type of food was it?... 

Tapas

This has been discussed elsewhere, but it's fair to say the food and drink options have deteriorated, things are poor VFM - a microwaved bratwurst in a bone-dry roll, masquerading as a "hot dog" was £6.50 with a s/t - and stock levels are inadequate.

In-stadium catering is I believed franchised out, but it's also fair to say that whoever controls the franchise has no idea of what the typical football fan wants to eat and drink, and is taking the piss.

If I need food before a match in future, I'll source it away from the stadium. 

• Like 2

Bit of a digression…

Re the food and drink vendors both inside and outside, anyone know what the deal is re their pitch?

1) Do they pay for the pitch (to AG Ltd I assume) and then keep all their takings, or

2) Do we take a cut of their takings and a pitch fee, or

3) Something completely different

I heard it’s 1) but not from anyone who’d particularly know.

I’m guessing some of the ones inside the concourse which are more fixed / club ones are a bit different.

Hope that makes sense?

49 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

There was a Greek stall outside which I think was new,did anyone try that?

I queued for it, saw what was being offered up for a tenner and left the queue. I can't comment on taste but it didn't look like it was value for money

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bit of a digression…

Re the food and drink vendors both inside and outside, anyone know what the deal is re their pitch?

1) Do they pay for the pitch (to AG Ltd I assume) and then keep all their takings, or

2) Do we take a cut of their takings and a pitch fee, or

3) Something completely different

I heard it’s 1) but not from anyone who’d particularly know.

I’m guessing some of the ones inside the concourse which are more fixed / club ones are a bit different.

Hope that makes sense?

Option 1 makes the most sense for the Club. It's what I understand happens at festivals as well (albeit my anecdotal evidence there is 10 years out of date). The Club/site owner gets a fixed guaranteed and known income from each pitch and with no hassle or need to audit/contest what the takings are for every concession/pitch at every home game. Ok maybe you'd make a bit more when Man City visit, but equally (assuming it's £X per match regardless of competition) you'll do better tomorrow night when the crowd is only 8,000.

It's feasible, but I'd be really surprised if it was option 2.

Were I the Club I'd absolutely push for option 1.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1