IGNORED

Catering in the Ashton Gate concourse

Lack of Action Man

Just now, phantom said:

Totally agree, but worth remembering City won't be getting a penny it'll be going to Bristol Sport etc

Yeh, I mean "the Club" in the broad sense of the word (I now I'm often the first to pick up on this but I'm giving myself a pass here).

Would it not go to Ashton Gate Ltd? And therefore into BCFC Holdings group accounts? I've no idea tbh.

On the food generally, it's always been alright when I've been. Normally I eat outside the ground or maybe get something from one of the vans in the fan park. Whatever it is it always, always beats the godawful pie I once had at Ewood Park!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

Their car are driven to the ground for them to drive home in after a game

That is only an option if you are in the Lansdown Stand

Tapas

Not really. I sit in the Dolman but use Lansdown entrance and walk round.

Feels like backwards steps after lots of recent successes. The Buxton & Bird pies are genuinely the best the club have ever sold but they sell out too quickly. The actually good coffee bar from last season (atyeo end of the lansdown concourse) has been replaced by donuts. 

Have the Bristol Beer Factory beers gone as well?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m guessing some of the ones inside the concourse which are more fixed / club ones are a bit different.

Hope that makes sense?

It's franchised inside the concourse and the same company operates most of the outlets for football/rugby and concerts.  Independent operators, such as Feed The Goat, also exist, but it's one company - I've forgotten the name - that has the majority of concourse stalls.  They are charming people. My niece worked for them over the summer and they tell their staff they must not talk to customers, unless answering a direct question relating to the stall, and they must serve one customer every 17 seconds. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's franchised inside the concourse and the same company operates most of the outlets for football/rugby and concerts.  Independent operators, such as Feed The Goat, also exist, but it's one company - I've forgotten the name - that has the majority of concourse stalls.  They are charming people. My niece worked for them over the summer and they tell their staff they must not talk to customers, unless answering a direct question relating to the stall, and they must serve one customer every 17 seconds. 

When Ashton gate was re done, Bristol sport made a big thing on how they wanted everyone to be employed by Bristol sport and not how it was like before,

All of it has basically been undone like you have said in regards to food, nearly all of the stewards are now employed by an outside agency too. 

Here’s an article from 2018 singing the praises about how many they employ, it can’t be the case anymore. 

https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/news/ashton-gatebristol-sport-wins-business-in-the-community-award/

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bit of a digression…

Re the food and drink vendors both inside and outside, anyone know what the deal is re their pitch?

1) Do they pay for the pitch (to AG Ltd I assume) and then keep all their takings, or

2) Do we take a cut of their takings and a pitch fee, or

3) Something completely different

I heard it’s 1) but not from anyone who’d particularly know.

I’m guessing some of the ones inside the concourse which are more fixed / club ones are a bit different.

Hope that makes sense?

A family member of mine used to run a food stall at Readings ground, she just paid a pitch fee.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bit of a digression…

Re the food and drink vendors both inside and outside, anyone know what the deal is re their pitch?

1) Do they pay for the pitch (to AG Ltd I assume) and then keep all their takings, or

2) Do we take a cut of their takings and a pitch fee, or

3) Something completely different

I heard it’s 1) but not from anyone who’d particularly know.

Hope that makes sense?

A family member of mine used to run a food stall at Readings ground, she just paid a pitch fee.

• Thanks 1

The food has been poor and overpriced for a long time now. Maybe 2 or 3 years. I might try a pastie once a season to be disappointed every time. Always buy any food and drink away from the ground. I might buy a cup of tea in the ground before kick off. Never at half time because of the queues.

Don't understand why anyone would get so irate at crap products - anyone had one of those awful hot dog things, I did when desparate one game - being unavailable at Ashton Gate when there are literally dozens of quality pubs, bars, restaurants and takeaways within walking distance of the ground.

Is it actually that difficult to go 2 hours without a drink or a snack?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Don't understand why anyone would get so irate at crap products - anyone had one of those awful hot dog things, I did when desparate one game - being unavailable at Ashton Gate when there are literally dozens of quality pubs, bars, restaurants and takeaways within walking distance of the ground.

I's supporting the club through in house sales. Pie & a pint or a cup of Bovril is part of the day

At the time when everyone's feeling the pinch, value for money is even more important than ever. For the first time since the stadium reopened our group asked ourselves why we come here before every game and eat overpriced food we don't enjoy when North Street is up to the road. New plans for the Birmingham game

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

As I think I explained on another thread, some of us face long journeys to get to AG and will not have had time to get lunch. Last Saturday, through circumstances out of my control, myself and my matchday companions arrived too late to get anything in the wider Ashton/Bemmy area, so resigned ourselves to pasties at the ground. A disappointing afternoon got off to a disappointing start when we found the pasty stall now only sold US-style donuts, and the bars had run out of pasties by 2pm. 

• Sad 1

I queued for a very long time time twice on Saturday.

One thing I did notice having visited  2 different outlets both before the match and at half time was that they were not pre-pouring pints. I know pre-poured pints have been criticised on here before but if it halves the queuing time then I'm all for it.

14 minutes ago, myol'man said:

I's supporting the club through in house sales. Pie & a pint or a cup of Bovril is part of the day

I understand that, but personally I'd rather support the local businesses many of which offer quality products but still - due to VAT, rates, cost of living crisis, etc - still struggle to make a decent profit. Money into the club just means paying very well paid footballers being paid even more. Just my perspective.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As I think I explained on another thread, some of us face long journeys to get to AG and will not have had time to get lunch. Last Saturday, through circumstances out of my control, myself and my matchday companions arrived too late to get anything in the wider Ashton/Bemmy area, so resigned ourselves to pasties at the ground. A disappointing afternoon got off to a disappointing start when we found the pasty stall now only sold US-style donuts, and the bars had run out of pasties by 2pm. 

Fair comment, dont know which entrance you use but the Clarks van outside Ashton Park is always an option and is cheaper, better (in my opinion) quality, and you rarely have to wait longer than a couple of minutes.

Not sure if there has been a change within Ashton Gate, but during the last match of the season, had a chat with one of the outlets on the concourse and he said that they might not be back this season as the new management team had been around to discuss things and he would 'basically, end up working for nothing' with the new fees?

They are back this season, but I wonder if this is why other outlets have changed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Henry said:

It’s just another example of the club not caring about the fans experience. 

Its okay, we have a CEO still settling in after 6months and a SC&T holding them to account..

And here... Where nobody who maybe should be actively pays any attention.

(their words) ???

58 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

When Ashton gate was re done, Bristol sport made a big thing on how they wanted everyone to be employed by Bristol sport and not how it was like before,

All of it has basically been undone like you have said in regards to food, nearly all of the stewards are now employed by an outside agency too. 

Here’s an article from 2018 singing the praises about how many they employ, it can’t be the case anymore. 

https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/news/ashton-gatebristol-sport-wins-business-in-the-community-award/

Part of it will be circumstance, part of it will be by design.. IMO anyway.

Bit of a segue but.

Not sure the majority of stewards are agency but could be wrong- I read an article a couple of years ago that stated across the Football Industry many stewards had left, experienced ones during and after Covid-19...and didn't return! Loads seem to have left the Dolman especially, hard to say why.

https://taylorbridgesconsultancy.com/stadium-and-event-stewarding-in-crisis.html

Ashton Gate won't be immune.

Dunno if this was also applicable to catering but would help to explain an increasing reliance on external companies.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Fair comment, dont know which entrance you use but the Clarks van outside Ashton Park is always an option and is cheaper, better (in my opinion) quality, and you rarely have to wait longer than a couple of minutes.

Yep, usually go via Raynes Road, but both Clarks or the pasty van outside the Rising Sun (assuming they're there this season) will offer better options for hasty pre-game snacks.

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Important point this, as the weather gets cold or maybe someone has missed food on the way in after a big journey (diabetics?), being able to grab a hot pie or similar inside the ground should not be difficult.

Personally I would probably stuff food from home in my pockets but a hot snack and a hot coffee just before ko is a good thing in winter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, myol'man said:

I was going to start this thread in Non-Football chat but thought it would get more attention on here.

From my own experience in the Dolman concourse, the options of food and drink as well as waiting time, especially at half-time was worse than last season.

The "Bear and Robins" outlet just inside the Dolman turnstiles has gone, now replaced be a standard outlet. They only had lager or Guinness on sale, no cider or ale option at all. They had no food for sale meaning if you wanted a pie and a pint you had to queue twice at two different outlets. The former outlet at the back wall of the Dolman concourse has been replaced by a doughnut shop! I would have thought that more suitable in the Upper Lansdown family area, not an area packed with thirsty blokes (& girls!)

I know of others who gave up waiting as the service was so slow, and many people were still queueing when City scored.

What was it like in the rest of the ground?

Sid even the clarks pies,have gone up on the van outside 2.20 last year 2.80 now four gready grandkids ?

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Totally agree, but worth remembering City won't be getting a penny it'll be going to Bristol Sport etc

That’s not correct….

41 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

So what do Bristol Sport etc do with this revenue?

….it is part of Ashton Gate Limited revenue that is then transfer priced between the constituent companies.  That itself is a complex world that isn’t completely transparent in the annual accounts, I.e. the credits and debits don’t balance…I’ve tried! ??‍♂️

As for FFP, because City report to the EFL under Bristol City Holdings which includes BCFC and AG Ltd we do “benefit” from this kind of income.  The fact that AG Ltd makes a loss too shows that the structure want put in place for FFP but other reasons.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

So what do Bristol Sport etc do with this revenue?

I don't think they get the money.

It goes to Ashton Gate Ltd as I understand it.

Bristol Sport is more of a Facilities company whereby group companies pay them for their services.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s not correct….

….it is part of Ashton Gate Limited revenue that is then transfer priced between the constituent companies.  That itself is a complex world that isn’t completely transparent in the annual accounts, I.e. the credits and debits don’t balance…I’ve tried! ??‍♂️

As for FFP, because City report to the EFL under Bristol City Holdings which includes BCFC and AG Ltd we do “benefit” from this kind of income.  The fact that AG Ltd makes a loss too shows that the structure want put in place for FFP but other reasons.

My basic so probably not that well researched assumption is that some of the AGL revenue will be rugby related and that will account for the gap between AGL, BCFC and BCFC Holdings. ie Rugby matchday Hospitality may appear in the Rugby and AGL accounts but obviously ringfenced off from the football one.

• Like 3