IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

35 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Would expect him to move given the traction it’s got, whether to us or elsewhere. Burnley will want to cash in, too, given their current league state

I wonder if we could use any (potential) Brownhill clauses as part of the negotiation.

19 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I wonder if we could use any (potential) Brownhill clauses as part of the negotiation.

Think that’s super optimistic.

Brownhill is linked with a move every transfer window & never does.

Not sure how this would Benefit Burnley in any way.

Have a feeling that if Hull are bringing in Benson then it is because they expect Twine to be elsewhere by next month, could be us, could be someone else.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think that’s super optimistic.

Brownhill is linked with a move every transfer window & never does.

Not sure how this would Benefit Burnley in any way.

Have a feeling that if Hull are bringing in Benson then it is because they expect Twine to be elsewhere by next month, could be us, could be someone else.

And that will be a hell of a signing for them. I’d pick Benson over Twine if we had a choice. The time to have got Twine was went he left Swindon. It would be classic City to overpay for him now when he has little scope for development. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tin said:

And that will be a hell of a signing for them. I’d pick Benson over Twine if we had a choice. The time to have got Twine was went he left Swindon. It would be classic City to overpay for him now when he has little scope for development. 

Doesn't always work like that though, players develop at different speeds, luck can play a role too.

No magic formula etc..

40 minutes ago, tin said:

Don’t agree with little scope for development point, look at the improvements Zaks made at 25/26. 

Do agree with the rest though, much like Azaz this is one we should’ve been over much early. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Doesn't always work like that though, players develop at different speeds, luck can play a role too.

No magic formula etc..

No magic formula, but I think it’s accurate to say Harry recommended Twine to the club when he left Swindon and was on a free. That was ignored and now Tinnion might be willing to spend millions to get him? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tin said:

No magic formula, but I think it’s accurate to say Harry recommended Twine to the club when he left Swindon and was on a free. That was ignored and now Tinnion might be willing to spend millions to get him? 

I get the theory but who is to say he steps up at that time, without the stellar season at MK Dons.

Free and moderate wages means relatively low risk granted.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get the theory but who is to say he steps up at that time, without the stellar season at MK Dons.

Free and moderate wages means relatively low risk granted.

But that is exactly the point. 
We knew we were entering a period where we’d have to cut back on transfer spend and wages. 
So, when the best league 2 player (as he was that season at Newport & Swindon) is available for free (as he was in the summer of 21), and is only 30 miles down the road (as he was at that time), then as a Championship club looking for bargains surely you should act. 

Was there any guarantee he’d perform at Champ level? No. There never is for anyone. 
Was it a cheap gamble worth taking given we knew we would be entering a period of semi-austerity and he was the best player in league 2? Abso-bloody-lutely!! 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

But that is exactly the point. 
We knew we were entering a period where we’d have to cut back on transfer spend and wages. 
So, when the best league 2 player (as he was that season at Newport & Swindon) is available for free (as he was in the summer of 21), and is only 30 miles down the road (as he was at that time), then as a Championship club looking for bargains surely you should act. 

Was there any guarantee he’d perform at Champ level? No. There never is for anyone. 
Was it a cheap gamble worth taking given we knew we would be entering a period of semi-austerity and he was the best player in league 2? Abso-bloody-lutely!! 

That is fair.

I still maintain players develop at different speeds..sometimes League Two to the Championship can be a bit much in one go. My point is I guess I'm not as confident as some that he would have been a  smash hit or a sure thing.

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is fair.

I still maintain players develop at different speeds..sometimes League Two to the Championship can be a bit much in one go. My point is I guess I'm not as confident as some that he would have been a  smash hit or a sure thing.

Never!! Look at George Tanner, hes accomplished in the Champ from League 2! 😉😂

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Never!! Look at George Tanner, hes accomplished in the Champ from League 2! 😉😂

That is true. Case by case though..would Szmodics have smashed it with us or did he need to go backwards to go forwards a bit. He very much deserved a better chance here of course.

Adelakun and Eisa both especially the former attracted interest from elsewhere but the leap was beyond them.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is true. Case by case though..would Szmodics have smashed it with us or did he need to go backwards to go forwards a bit. He very much deserved a better chance here of course.

Adelakun and Eisa both especially the former attracted interest from elsewhere but the leap was beyond them.

Such a promising name.

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Would expect him to move given the traction it’s got, whether to us or elsewhere. Burnley will want to cash in, too, given their current league state

Hard to say that for sure without knowing what their business model is, Norwich for example just want to be one of the 26 best teams in the country, so if they get relegated they're fine with it if they're in the play offs next season. Equally if Burnley did want money £2.5m - £4m in the prem is a drop in the ocean for what they'd need to spend. 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Hard to say that for sure without knowing what their business model is, Norwich for example just want to be one of the 26 best teams in the country, so if they get relegated they're fine with it if they're in the play offs next season. Equally if Burnley did want money £2.5m - £4m in the prem is a drop in the ocean for what they'd need to spend. 

Norwich and their model might be set to go badly if they stay down.

£50m in accumulated pre tax losses not in a Covid year but one PL, one 1st year Parachutes.

Th is is the 2nd and final year of Parachutes..then it's onto.EFL Revenue Streams.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Norwich and their model might be set to go badly if they stay down.

£50m in accumulated pre tax losses not in a Covid year but one PL, one 1st year Parachutes.

Th is is the 2nd and final year of Parachutes..then it's onto.EFL Revenue Streams.

Yeah not claiming its good, just claiming its how they operate. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is fair.

Yes players do….but that’s not the point being made Mr P.

It’s that a player who Harry recommended to the club that was available for zip might be a player we sign 2.5 years later for £x million.  In fact Harry was all over him at Newport the season before (so 3.5 yrs ago) - as was I having watched a Swindon pre-season friendly versus Coventry whilst prepping for our first league game of the season.  Every week it was - “he’s only gone and scored another 25 yarder”

Of course he might not have been any good, but it’s about missed opportunities.  And not just City, because several other Championship clubs didn’t take him either.

FWIW if we are signing him as a Left Forward / inside Forward I’m not convinced for the money talked about…if it’s to play off a striker or as a 10, that’s a different matter.  I rate Azaz higher.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes players do….but that’s not the point being made Mr P.

It’s that a player who Harry recommended to the club that was available for zip might be a player we sign 2.5 years later for £x million.  In fact Harry was all over him at Newport the season before (so 3.5 yrs ago) - as was I having watched a Swindon pre-season friendly versus Coventry whilst prepping for our first league game of the season.  Every week it was - “he’s only gone and scored another 25 yarder”

Of course he might not have been any good, but it’s about missed opportunities.  And not just City, because several other Championship clubs didn’t take him either.

FWIW if we are signing him as a Left Forward / inside Forward I’m not convinced for the money talked about…if it’s to play off a striker or as a 10, that’s a different matter.  I rate Azaz higher.

I get the idea Dave, it could have been a low risk high reward signing. MK Dons got him, sold him and Burnley might get a profit on him.

11 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

We have Yeboah too, but unlike NP, doesn't seem Manning rates him.

Nelson is a better prospect than Yeboah having watched them both. Yeboah is big strong and enthusiastic. Although he is quick, Nelson is greased lightning and has a better touch and understanding of the game as a whole.

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Wouldn’t play Twine wide personally, always looks better centrally

Maybe worth looking elsewhere then anyway imo. That central attack role is locked down by Knight and we have able cover in Weimann and eventually Benarous. RW far more pressing.

7 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Maybe worth looking elsewhere then anyway imo. That central attack role is locked down by Knight and we have able cover in Weimann and eventually Benarous. RW far more pressing.

I, personally, don’t want Knight in that role. At the moment he’s playing there because there isn’t much else. However, I think that is partly the reason for the disconnect between the midfield and forward line. 

Manning has made it clear he wants one to play between the lines 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I’d be interested as to whether Knight has enough physically to still be involved regularly playing as one of the two deeper ones and seems to really be able to go box to box 

9 hours ago, James54De said:

I, personally, don’t want Knight in that role. At the moment he’s playing there because there isn’t much else. However, I think that is partly the reason for the disconnect between the midfield and forward line. 

Manning has made it clear he wants one to play between the lines 

It is imperative we improve that aspect, we need to create more chances, our final ball yesterday was so poor from promising positions, indeed against the Millwall and Birmingham types we have nobody who can unlock them as proven in most games against those more physical, compact sides. Would always prefer us to play the better sides as it suits our game more, we have to have a squad who can mix it. We also need a powerful forward/Semenyo type. Basically put Scott and Semenyo into our team and we are there! 

• Like 1