IGNORED

SL Speaks

Silvio Dante

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've watched it again. I know it's not new as such but.

"If we can sell players for £25m every year, you know, we're building that nest egg up to be able to compete, in the longer term".

£25m every year?!

That was exactly the delusion he had when Ashton was here, that there would be a perpetual stream of players to sell for big money and that fees would keep going up for ever.

And what does he mean by compete? Doubling the wage bill as before? Paying over the odds for players again?

It's baffling that somebody with his financial expertise can believe that.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 16
  • Flames 1

Both Nigel and SL are singing from the same hymn sheet and these public utterances will be for a different audience than the fans.  If they both said that now we are loaded with the £25m and plan to splash the cash then it wouldn't help negotiations for targets.  We already know that the Club are targeting at least one midfielder (possibly two) and I'd be surprised if a goalkeeper wasn't recruited too in this window if one that fits the criteria becomes available. The 'spin' isn't completely inaccurate because there is a salary cap and a profile of going for lower league players who may be in the age bracket and have the ability to step up so salaries and transfer fees are not going to be extravagant. 

NP has signed up to that approach in addition to bringing on academy players and has implemented it brilliantly as well.  He also kept on message about the £25m or more fee. So I don't see any big issue here although I wish SL would give a bit of praise to Pearson once in a while.   SL is loyal to managers (and has been to NP in difficult times) but he and Jon Lansdown do always trot out the under-achieving line.  Pearson is building rock-solid foundations and paving the way for future success just as he did at Leicester.   Semenyo and Scott flourished under Nigel which has enabled the Club to climb out of a financial hole.  A little appreciation of that and other transformations within the Club from Steve Lansdown wouldn't go amiss nor would an extended contract offer either.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

I get the impression that SL would really like Mark Robbins here as manager but it will be very difficult to prise him from Coventry. Unless it goes tits up, I fully expect Nigel to be here for the foreseeable future

He’s had probably 3 occasions where Robins could’ve come here, and was very keen to. Didn’t take the chance. Now he’s doing so well, probably feels a bit silly. 

I don’t see Nige being here this time next year, personally. One way or another. Would love it if he was though. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

£25m every year?!

That was exactly the delusion he had when Ashton was here, that there would be a perpetual stream of players to sell for big money and that fees would keep going up for ever.

And what does he mean by compete? Doubling the wage bill as before? Paying over the odds for players again?

It's baffling that somebody with his financial expertise can believe that.

My thoughts exactly.

That comment by SL was deeply concerning, so much so that I thought it was worth highlighting again as a bit of a stand-alone. I hope that he doesn't remotely see it as any kind of goal, target or similar.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Grey Foxwill be having palpitations read the above…and imho rightly so.

One thing you can be sure of is that if we sell £25m of players each year, that nest egg will be really useful in the next division….the next division down (or lower).

It’s comments like the above (and the Luton one) that really piss me off.  It’s just total bollax being spouted, with little thought to who’s listening and if implemented what the real impact is.

Its probably bad choice of what he’s trying to get across, but that’s no excuse.

The lack of credit for the recovery that’s been executed by RG and NP primarily annoys me, in light of positive comments about MA “I know he’s criticised by the fans but he does a lot of good work for me with the EFL” and “he’s done a great job with the HPC”…which was an infrastructure job led by proper infrastructure / building people.

Some of it leaves me with a very cold feeling towards him.

Grateful for his investment, but not blinkered to think there was another way / other ways of achieving success (on and off the pitch) either!!!

Pretty much agree with this entirely. Possibly Ashton played a role in pushing strongly on FFP and may have curried favour with other execs and the League but the good is outweighed by the bad without doubt.

The lack of credit by Lansdown in terms of the quite brilliant and disciplined salvage job by Gould and Pearson is really disappointing and a bit surprising.

Because we could have sunk with ease in that period. Not in terms of solvency but on field and FFP wise.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

There seems to be a real disconnection between the fans and lansdown these days, every interview he has he seems to make odd statements that really piss people off. I dont think it's a coincidence that for a while now commercially the club is so detached from what fans want. Maybe it's his age and he just can't be assed to deal with the fans as its his toy and no-one else's ?

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

"I’m in the last year of my contract here and I intend to honour my contract. The club may or may not decide to offer me a new contract, and I may or may not decide to accept it."

Pearson, Athletic interview.

This worries me a bit as I don’t trust SL with anything, anymore. 

The bloke frightens me

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

There seems to be a real disconnection between the fans and lansdown these days, every interview he has he seems to make odd statements that really piss people off. I dont think it's a coincidence that for a while now commercially the club is so detached from what fans want. Maybe it's his age and he just can't be assed to deal with the fans as its his toy and no-one else's ?

I think that's overstating it a bit, IMO he's been out of touch arguably since the move to Guernsey, yes I know he has execs on the ground but are some of them that good? He's never been a fantastic interviewee either.

It's a concerning comment for sure though and the lack of new contract so far for NP..I doubt we will attract anyone better unless we are in the Premier League this time next year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

59 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

You beat me to it. Lansdown has a real disconnection with a lot of City fans.
He strikes me as a very stubborn owner of City. Was known to be like it at Hargreaves Lansdown. IMO, he has failed on the pitch at AG, but succeeded off the pitch with the new ground. But his legacy will be 20 years of failure at City as we stand currently.
As many have said, Lansdown should be backing NP 100% with the job Nige has done so far. Is Lansdown more interested in the rugby than the football?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've watched it again. I know it's not new as such but.

"If we can sell players for £25m every year, you know, we're building that nest egg up to be able to compete, in the longer term".

That is an interesting plan in theory but concerns me in practice!

Next stop Delusion Central……….if Nakhi Wells could score 87 goals this season, if my Auntie had bollocks etc.

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

"I’m in the last year of my contract here and I intend to honour my contract. The club may or may not decide to offer me a new contract, and I may or may not decide to accept it."

Pearson, Athletic interview.

It’s obvious really. Pearson was brought in to do a specific job under massive financial restraints which he accepted. At his age if he were to be offered another contract I can’t see him wanting to go through all that again. I would imagine the terms will be a straightforward agreement but he will then start asking Steve some awkward questions about ambition……..if the club want to persist with Nige he holds a few more cards.

Could anyone here HONESTLY see the next appointment being a younger version of Nige to “finish the job”? I don’t.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

You beat me to it. Lansdown has a real disconnection with a lot of City fans.
He strikes me as a very stubborn owner of City. Was known to be like it at Hargreaves Lansdown. IMO, he has failed on the pitch at AG, but succeeded off the pitch with the new ground. But his legacy will be 20 years of failure at City as we stand currently.
As many have said, Lansdown should be backing NP 100% with the job Nige has done so far. Is Lansdown more interested in the rugby than the football?

That’s nonsense.

Are you not aware of the FFP danger that City were in after Ashton/LJ  handed out generous contracts that only this season have become manageable? The sale of Kelly and Scott have helped balance the books thankfully along with Nige reducing the wage bill.

SL has over the years ploughed over £50m of his own money into the club and I’m glad that he’s the majority shareholder rather than have a non Bristolian with no affection for our wonderful city.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Lansdown strikes me as someone in charge at a big business who doesn’t really know what’s going on or what the stratagy is and his workers carry on as they see fit, only letting him know about situations if they really have too! 

Since he relocated to Guernsey, definitely think there is a bit of truth to it.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s obvious really. Pearson was brought in to do a specific job under massive financial restraints which he accepted. At his age if he were to be offered another contract I can’t see him wanting to go through all that again. I would imagine the terms will be a straightforward agreement but he will then start asking Steve some awkward questions about ambition……..if the club want to persist with Nige he holds a few more cards.

Could anyone here HONESTLY see the next appointment being a younger version of Nige to “finish the job”? I don’t.

Next appointment will be Euell or Fleming 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Grey Foxwill be having palpitations read the above…and imho rightly so.

One thing you can be sure of is that if we sell £25m of players each year, that nest egg will be really useful in the next division….the next division down (or lower).

It’s comments like the above (and the Luton one) that really piss me off.  It’s just total bollax being spouted, with little thought to who’s listening and if implemented what the real impact is.

Its probably bad choice of what he’s trying to get across, but that’s no excuse.

The lack of credit for the recovery that’s been executed by RG and NP primarily annoys me, in light of positive comments about MA “I know he’s criticised by the fans but he does a lot of good work for me with the EFL” and “he’s done a great job with the HPC”…which was an infrastructure job led by proper infrastructure / building people.

Some of it leaves me with a very cold feeling towards him.

Grateful for his investment, but not blinkered to think there was another way / other ways of achieving success (on and off the pitch) either!!!

I couldn’t agree with this more but there’s a simple explanation for the lack of credit for Pearson… that would be to admit mistakes were made in the first place.

The man comes across as utterly arrogant, increasingly so with each public appearance.

I’m a huge supporter of his, but I certainly don’t like a lot of what he says anymore.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s nonsense.

Are you not aware of the FFP danger that City were in after Ashton/LJ  handed out generous contracts that only this season have become manageable? The sale of Kelly and Scott have helped balance the books thankfully along with Nige reducing the wage bill.

SL has over the years ploughed over £50m of his own money into the club and I’m glad that he’s the majority shareholder rather than have a non Bristolian with no affection for our wonderful city.

……..and yet Johnson and Ashton are respected by him and he’s shown very little to demonstrate to us he thinks the same of the bloke who has implemented his cost cutting without complaint.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s nonsense.

Kelly was sold a long time before Nige arrived 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Next appointment will be Euell or Fleming 

In some ways continuing good work and good habits but in others...

Hope the next appointment continuation or not will be..

A new 3 year contact for NP and some reasonable but not excessive backing!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think if you live a millionaire lifestyle it's inevitable. 

Look at other organisations, businesses, politicians...clueless to the man on the street. 

You can be loaded, know sod all about football and own a football club. The trick is to get the right expert in to run it for you.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

In my view the comment about Luton is all about one thing which is to give him a ready made excuse to fire the revolver when he’s had a guts full of Nige.

Exactly, and it also reaffirms he hasn’t got a clue about football, he just can’t seem to be able to give np any praise, I would think np has told him and John a few home truths , Steve comes across like a spoilt kid .

• Like 1

I suppose we have to factor something important in when we listen to SL: he may not expect to be the decision maker beyond this season. 

If Lansdown can find a buyer willing to accept SL's terms (whatever they may be), then the strong FFP position and out of contract manager may be ideal for the handover.

When he says, 'sell a player for £25m every season...' maybe he has potential investors in mind as the audience, not the fans...

Edited by mozo
  • Hmmm 1