IGNORED

Brighton

Super

There can't be many better run clubs than them. They paid 4.5M for Moises Caicedo and sold him for 115M. Along with big profits made on Cucurella, Macallister, Ben White etc. Probably all paid for the new Stadium.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Super said:

There can't be many better run clubs than them. They paid 4.5M for Moises Caicedo and sold him for 115M. Along with big profits made on Cucurella, Macallister, Ben White etc. Probably all paid for the new Stadium.

We’re not the only selling club after all ? 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

They’re very well run, interestingly like Brentford & Leicester their owner has a club in Europe too, where they can loan players for development & potentially get around work permit issues.

Can’t keep up, but has SL ever used them as an example of who we should be like? I remember when it was Reading (but maybe not now), Swansea, Bournemouth, Brentford & now apparently Luton, so surely he must have said them as well, for all the good it does..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Think the Amex cost them circa £93M so yes the profits made on player sales will have well eclipsed that. It’s probably paid for their training ground aswell which is a fantastic facility and is a few levels above our HPC in fairness.

Fair play to them, i like Tony Bloom. Genuinely seems like a fan who has always wanted the absolute best for his club and for them to reach the top. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

They’re very well run, interestingly like Brentford & Leicester their owner has a club in Europe too, where they can loan players for development & potentially get around work permit issues.

Can’t keep up, but has SL ever used them as an example of who we should be like? I remember when it was Reading (but maybe not now), Swansea, Bournemouth, Brentford & now apparently Luton, so surely he must have said them as well, for all the good it does..

They’re actually one of the only good barometers in terms of club size and situation. Affluent city, large catchment area, new stadium etc. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They’re actually one of the only good barometers in terms of club size and situation. Affluent city, large catchment area, new stadium etc. 

Maybe, but my point was the words are just meaningless, aren’t they?

We don’t replicate these clubs in most ways & so they just reveal a fundamental misunderstanding by SL of how football works. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Super said:

And this is the point some posters refuse to acknowledge,

Selling players for offers too good to turn down will always happen, the key is sucession planning

And that's what I see the club putting in place, hence the production line from the academy in recent years

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe, but my point was the words are just meaningless, aren’t they?

We don’t replicate these clubs in most ways & so they just reveal a fundamental misunderstanding by SL of how football works. 

I agree but I also think Brighton -  possibly along with Burnley - are probably the two clubs with enough similarities that we could actually learn. Reading and Bournemouth gambled on spending in a way which we can't afford to do (and where we get hit by FFP if we fail) whereas Brentford and Luton developed models that were extremely unique to their circumstances (i.e. they're a direct response to the challenges of being in and around London and surrounded by bigger clubs.

I think the wider question is whether there are bigger, structural things that Brighton have done that SL doesn't want to replicate. I don't know the answer to that but certainly I think that, whilst you can always adapt or put your own spin on a model, if you try to simply copy it whilst leaving out the bits that don't suit you then it isn't likely to work. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Selling players for offers too good to turn down will always happen, the key is sucession planning

And that's what I see the club putting in place, hence the production line from the academy in recent years

This. 10000%

Tony Bloom's a gambler, a chancer, bit of a Brighton geezer, I think? He gambled a bit with Brighton and took a few chances, spent a few bob, sailed a bit close to the ffp "wind" and they got to the Prem. Steve's an accountant, he gambled a bit in the first Championship stint, took a bit of a chance, gambled a bit, spent a few bob, got in a pickle, and we found ourselves back in L1.

I think.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

You’re on the wrong forum. This is far too reasonable for OTIB.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eardun said:

We’re not the only selling club after all ? 

They know they have to sell , but only when it suits them , after Mcallister left , several others pushed for a big money move, but we’re told they would have to stay till at least the next window. Brighton therefore had time to plan for the exits and in the end actually got more than the earlier offers. They also had their best season ever and qualified for Europe.

We , on the other hand, appear to have one plan only, which is to recruit, develop and sell. Source for this view , Uncle Steve’s latest interview.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Succession planning ??? Uncle Steve has already stated we are not going to spend the money, instead we are planning to sell off £25M worth of players every year. 
That is a plan to head straight to League One, to not pass Go , nor collect any value for the money you pay for your Season Ticket. 

• Hmmm 1

I know it's hypothetical but I wonder whether we might have seen the same impact had we been allowed to build the new stadium at Ashton Vale. Is it a coincidence that Brighton's success came on the back of building the Amex, although I'm  not suggesting it was the only reason? 

Definitely a case of "if you build it they will come".

Before the pedants jump, I know that actual film quote was "he will come"!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Succession planning ??? Uncle Steve has already stated we are not going to spend the money, instead we are planning to sell off £25M worth of players every year. 
That is a plan to head straight to League One, to not pass Go , nor collect any value for the money you pay for your Season Ticket. 

Had SL said " thanks to Semenyo's sale earlier this year the club's finances are very sound. As a result, we are free to spend Scott's transfer proceeds on reinforcing our squad", it would have immediately put up the price for any players we are looking to buy.

Even with the inroads made into pulling the finances back since Ashton left I suspect we will still be trading at a loss. As long as ffp limits how much SL is allowed to put into the club then if we want to maintain a competitive squad, there will be a need to sell players to balance the ffp books. Whether that is £25m a year I'm not sure, but perhaps it's a coincidence that it happens to be the amount of Scott's transfer fee, in which case my first paragraph might be relevant! 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

But we have a feeder club in Europe too ! Guernsey !!!!! ( Well ….. nearly in Europe anyway ) 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Can’t keep up, but has SL ever used them as an example of who we should be like?

I’m sure a few years ago there was some dialogue between the clubs with regard to development and building a new stadium, believed SL liked the Brighton model?

• Like 1