IGNORED

Brighton

Super

8 minutes ago, tin said:

There’s nothing crude or reductive about that IMO. Take the examples you gave: 1) Brentford stuck a trading model and abandoned the academy - that shows clear and consistent direction; 2) Brighton spent £93m on the Amex, Cat.1 academy, and player trading - they too have had a sustained, clear vision and stuck to it. Success in both cases is down to their visionary owners. 

Tell me, what happened to our five pillars? SL’s prudent, reactive, and risk-averse IMO and that’s the main reason why we lag behind the Brentfords and Brightons of this era. 

That's fair. A consistent strategy is definitely lacking at times here. Although one is being finally put back into place a bit..We went for it a bit over a number of years and nearly came unstuck.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Off you **** then. If you think the club is so badly run how can you keep supporting it? 

He said he didn't want to pay inflated prices, and there are often players available on a free or for bargain amounts, like Dickie, like Knight, like Roberts, do you genuinely believe that they have weakened our squad as a whole? You don't think that's succession planning?

I am sure we would all like to think that we could be in a position to hold on to a player of Scott's quality, but the truth is there are only a handful of clubs at even Prem level that could do so. 

The best we could do, and what we did was get top dollar for him, the same as Brighton with Caicedo and Macallister. 

If you can't see a difference between the way we are operating now to three years ago, then I feel that you can't look beyond your blinkered view of the club.

Dickie and Roberts are direct replacements for Kallas and DaSiva who both left on frees , Knight has the potential to be developed and sold. None of these examples are here because we sold Scott.

Brighton know they have to sell to the bigger boys, but they only sell when it suits them and they can plan for the exit, in the examples you gave they actually got more on eventually selling and also qualified for Europe.

Ive supported this club since 1966, despite a pathetic trophy haul of only one title and a collection of paint pot cups, I will continue to do so, but in my opinion the current financial plan will not provide success. May I respectfully suggest that it is not my view that is “ blinkered “ , but that some of you need to open your eyes.

15 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Dickie and Roberts are direct replacements for Kallas and DaSiva who both left on frees , Knight has the potential to be developed and sold. None of these examples are here because we sold Scott.

Brighton know they have to sell to the bigger boys, but they only sell when it suits them and they can plan for the exit, in the examples you gave they actually got more on eventually selling and also qualified for Europe.

Ive supported this club since 1966, despite a pathetic trophy haul of only one title and a collection of paint pot cups, I will continue to do so, but in my opinion the current financial plan will not provide success. May I respectfully suggest that it is not my view that is “ blinkered “ , but that some of you need to open your eyes.

Everyone knew Scott was going, that's why they were able to get the deals done early, do you really think that these things all happen in a nice easy order, we sell that player, we buy that player? It never has worked that way, never will. You don't think we have sold Scott because it suited us? £25m for any player is going to be turned down, because they are fragile human beings and might be worth nothing after a bad tackle.

I have been here since 66 too, why do you think we sold Garland and what happened after we did? Working on building on a great youth set up then worked, why won't it work now? In fact we might have continued to have more success of we had continued down that path instead of Dicks insisting on 10 year contracts for his favourites.

A lot of that happened under our greatest ever Chairman so it's clearly not a new policy dreamt up by SL.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Everyone knew Scott was going, that's why they were able to get the deals done early, do you really think that these things all happen in a nice easy order, we sell that player, we buy that player? It never has worked that way, never will. You don't think we have sold Scott because it suited us? £25m for any player is going to be turned down, because they are fragile human beings and might be worth nothing after a bad tackle.

I have been here since 66 too, why do you think we sold Garland and what happened after we did? Working on building on a great youth set up then worked, why won't it work now? In fact we might have continued to have more success of we had continued down that path instead of Dicks insisting on 10 year contracts for his favourites.

A lot of that happened under our greatest ever Chairman so it's clearly not a new policy dreamt up by SL.

Replacements for Kallas , DaSilva , Baker , Moore were not imo subject to the sale of Scott, who we could have kept a further 12 months before selling.Let’s agree to disagree, but the accountancy led idea of gradual improvement on the sale of actual talent Will I’m afraid not work.

4 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Replacements for Kallas , DaSilva , Baker , Moore were not imo subject to the sale of Scott, who we could have kept a further 12 months before selling.Let’s agree to disagree, but the accountancy led idea of gradual improvement on the sale of actual talent Will I’m afraid not work.

Accountancy aside, still reckon we are at least one CB light. Well one anyway which we can surely afford now.

One CM too, post Scott.

People can then debate about GK and forward, depth vs man in possession etc but squad feels a little thin to me.

As you say, Baker, Moore, Kalas and you can add Klose to that all gone.. for varied reasons in varied ways. Just Dickie in. Atkinson out for months.

DaSilva for Roberts a bit of a tick

McCrorie v Tanner, fine when McCrorie available.

Knight in good, Scott out not so much.one light there IMO.

People say striker hut when all fit and available not too unhappy with Conway, Wells and Weimann competition- problem is Conway out for a couple of months, Weimann fit soon we hope. Maybe in contention for Hull away.

O'Leary fine but supposing he's injured, banned or just loses a load of form or confidence.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Accountancy aside, still reckon we are at least one CB light. Well one anyway which we can surely afford now.

One CM too, post Scott.

People can then debate about GK and forward, depth vs man in possession etc but squad feels a little thin to me.

As you say, Baker, Moore, Kalas and you can add Klose to that all gone.. for varied reasons in varied ways. Just Dickie in. Atkinson out for months.

DaSilva for Roberts a bit of a tick

McCrorie v Tanner, fine when McCrorie available.

Knight in good, Scott out not so much.one light there IMO.

People say striker hut when all fit and available not too unhappy with Conway, Wells and Weimann competition- problem is Conway out for a couple of months, Weimann fit soon we hope. Maybe in contention for Hull away.

O'Leary fine but supposing he's injured, banned or just loses a load of form or confidence.

I don’t disagree, my point is that if we continue to sell highly talented players and continue to replace them with either those considered to have the potential to be developed and sold (Knight) or experienced Championship players (Dickie) to keep us at this level, then how will we ever be better?

Hopefully the club will prove me wrong, and big Scott money purchases are in the wings, but I’m not holding my breath. 

41 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I don’t disagree, my point is that if we continue to sell highly talented players and continue to replace them with either those considered to have the potential to be developed and sold (Knight) or experienced Championship players (Dickie) to keep us at this level, then how will we ever be better?

Hopefully the club will prove me wrong, and big Scott money purchases are in the wings, but I’m not holding my breath. 

It varies. Many Championship clubs sell, seems a bit of a way of life. Brentford did and are still doing okay..

What however would now disappoint me significantly would be if we now sell anyone else who is key any time soon- Scott is the big sale, the big ticket profit, Semenyo too when we were rebuilding a bit in his case.

The rest is probably SL but I hope none of Vyner, Pring, Bell, Conway are sold.

Dickie for <£1m or no more than that at most is a strong addition, you need some Championship accomplished performers as part of the successful blend.

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It varies. Many Championship clubs sell, seems a bit of a way of life. Brentford did and are still doing okay..

What however would now disappoint me significantly would be if we now sell anyone else who is key any time soon- Scott is the big sale, the big ticket profit, Semenyo too when we were rebuilding a bit in his case.

Dickie for <£1m or no more than that at most is a strong addition, you need some Championship accomplished performers as part of the successful blend.

I think your final para is a good one.  We haven’t just signed 4 “for the futures” to which @Grey Fox’s point would be valid around signing them, developing them, and then selling them before we get them playing at their best FOR US.

We’ve signed Dickie, with 100+ championship apps, who is largely viewed in as one of the better CBs at this level. Likewise, we’ve signed Jason Knight, with 100+ championship apps, a full international who fits (on paper) exactly what we needed.  Through a combo of selling Antoine (possibly Alex’s expected sale) and the situation at their own clubs we have been able to get them  at very good fees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listen to SLs interview, and be disappointed, very disappointed ?, significantly.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think your final para is a good one.  We haven’t just signed 4 “for the futures” to which @Grey Fox’s point would be valid around signing them, developing them, and then selling them before we get them playing at their best FOR US.

We’ve signed Dickie, with 100+ championship apps, who is largely viewed in as one of the better CBs at this level. Likewise, we’ve signed Jason Knight, with 100+ championship apps, a full international who fits (on paper) exactly what we needed.  Through a combo of selling Antoine (possibly Alex’s expected sale) and the situation at their own clubs we have been able to get them  at very good fees.

All of the above were within budget before we sold Scott. With those players and our existing squad I believe we could mount a challenge with Scott in the side , as he makes us better than average. Without him our midfield is not dynamic enough to do so imo.To not take that gamble for one season , I think, shows a lack of ambition.

• Like 1

I wonder what the longest run in the Championship or Second Division is that ends with promotion rather than relegation? Forest went 14 seasons following promotion from L1 to getting promoted, that is unusual I would think? Is it not the case that most second tier clubs that go as long as we have at this level exit via relegation not promotion? 

Most that go up, without PPs, do so fairly swiftly, I think? The owner either has what it takes (be that luck or whatever), or he doesn't. If we go upto the top under SL now, it will be going against the grain, I think I'm right in saying.

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

All of the above were within budget before we sold Scott. With those players and our existing squad I believe we could mount a challenge with Scott in the side , as he makes us better than average. Without him our midfield is not dynamic enough to do so imo.To not take that gamble for one season , I think, shows a lack of ambition.

We don’t know that.  I would like to think so though.

Two weeks left in the window.  Let’s see.

Scott was the definite magic ingredient.  But I do think we can perform as a more functional team too.

I’d also like to see one / two come in.

Weimann and McCrorie hopefully back soon, means we have what I’d call the following OUTFIELD first teamers:

Tanner, McCrorie, Vyner, Dickie, Naismith, Roberts, Pring

Knight, Williams, James, King, Weimann

Cornick, Sykes, Wells, Bell, Mehmeti

17 slots, 18 match day places to fill.

Feels one or two light.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Clearly some of this will be transfer and Potter driven but I wonder if Bloom will be looking to make hay while the sun shines and cut his Loan Balance a bit.

I'd say Benham at Brentford could also start to do so a bit.

Tony Bloom has taken his first instalment to repay his loan to the club but will invest in players again this summer..

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reportedly a £122m Profit from last year??

😱:clap:

Although they seem to have taken it down from the site..maybe released a day or 2 early.

Screenshot_20240401-191838_Chrome.thumb.jpg.db1d484a1a2377a1aa733867d258334e.jpg

SL take note.  You have to speculate to accumulate.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Clearly some of this will be transfer and Potter driven but I wonder if Bloom will be looking to make hay while the sun shines and cut his Loan Balance a bit.

I'd say Benham at Brentford could also start to do so a bit.

Benham is looking to sell a controlling interest in Brentford, though he wants to retain a minority share

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Malago said:

You have to speculate wisely to accumulate.

We’ve speculated in the past & it has been shambolic.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

Not really. Bloom doesn't interfere in the football operation but appoints the best available people to key roles and trusts their expertise.

Hence their brilliant player recruitment means they buy low and sell high but have the next gem already in the house. Which leads to success on and off the pitch.

Steve does pretty much the opposite.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Not really. Bloom doesn't interfere in the football operation but appoints the best available people to key roles and trusts their expertise.

Hence their brilliant player recruitment means they buy low and sell high but have the next gem already in the house. Which leads to success on and off the pitch.

Steve does pretty much the opposite.

100%.

Tinnion wouldn’t have had a clue who De Zerbi was, Brighton are so far ahead of us in every respect it is ridiculous.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Malago said:

…and buy the correct players, not wild punts on players who will never be  Championship standard .  

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Their fans seem very happy that Paul Barber has signed a new long term contract. Heard the name, not certain of his role- CEO?

Yes, very highly regarded CEO and Deputy Chairman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

Tinnion wouldn’t have had a clue who De Zerbi was, Brighton are so far ahead of us in every respect it is ridiculous.

So true Graham. I’ve said a few times on here, that play off final is the slidiest of sliding doors moments in our history. 

Forget Luton, Coventry and anyone else he’s mentioned, it’s Brighton who we should really try to emulate; but couldn’t be further from it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yep. I've posted about how Brighton strive to always have the best people before. 

Where as at Bristol City/Sport its full of Jon's mates.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1