IGNORED

Looking at City & Pearson from outside.

pl00peh91

Interesting analysis about the resilient culture Pearson is building at the club. Hopefully we can see it come to fruition this season.

Enjoyed watching it so thought it would be worth a share. Sorry not able to embed the link for some reason but here it is:

https://x.com/foxpunter/status/1691795542261587992?s=46&t=FbdIExP5l4WfbK9ETY63_g

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Someone externally who actually 'gets' the slow and steady progress made by Nige with all the financial difficulties by installing a togetherness and culture. A nice change compared to Ryan Dilks from the Second Tier Podcast who just thinks every young manager is amazing by default.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t have Twitter and can’t open the link. Had the same with  DaveFev analysis recently………..:sad26:

I don't have a twitter account either but if you just click on the given link, it will magically appear.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just about to listen, but I follow this bloke, he’s bloody brilliant.  Seen some tweets of his on characters like Cotterill…and he breaks them down so well, you understand why they are like they are.

I think we know why Steve Cotterill's like he is! 

His Dad died when he was a kid and his playing career was ruined by injury. 

Interesting video though. 

For the most part that's a fair and informed perspective from the outside looking in so fair play to him. His point around our fan base's satisfaction would've been supported further if he mentioned Pearson manging while the club reduce the disparity in and total cost of wages. However, that's not his expertise or the point so I don't want to be overly critical of that.

He did a good job of articulating what many of our fans feel is the difference in culture between Johnson and Pearson. Where one was fascinated by the game tactically but had lots to learn managerially, the other wants the foundations in place first. His theory of Pearson's foundations being complemented by Ranieri's tweaks at Leicester is an interesting one too. 

Only other thing I'd add on culture and personalities which he didn't touch on was around Pearson's ability to frame challenges as 'opportunities'. If we had a poor run of form under Johnson it wasn't uncommon for him to tell Radio Bristol that the next game was a "must win" or he would be going back to "players he could trust". These are statements that can provoke nerves and poor performance. Whereas with Pearson it's noticeable that he uses phrases like 'opportunity to put it right' or 'opportunity to build on good form'. A small difference but it ensures everyone in the club is accountable for performances and their roles within that, and reduces feelings of nerves by focusing on the getting the processes right to take that opportunity, rather than pilling on the pressure to get a desired result (probably another reason why we fans are happy despite finishing lower half of the table).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t have Twitter and can’t open the link. Had the same with  DaveFev analysis recently………..:sad26:

Why not open an account? It’s simple and you don’t have to comment on anything, just read what you think is relevant to you. It’s no different in that respect to being here. Best to avoid anything political though!

• Like 1

Like most things, it ain't rocket science (although the science of this i find interesting).

It just comes down to creating an environment - wherever you work - of trust, belief and respect. It's there in Pearson's recent interview with The Athletic.

Pearson has created an environment where the players will run through brick walls - for him, for the team and, thus, for us. Because they trust him, believe in him, he commands their respect. 

Do players similarly trust Lee Johnson, believe in him, respect him? Do they ****, given enough time. 

You reap what you so. 

Pearson would be a great leader whatever job he had. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 10

25 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

He did a good job of articulating what many of our fans feel is the difference in culture between Johnson and Pearson. Where one was fascinated by the game tactically but had lots to learn managerially, the other wants the foundations in place first. His theory of Pearson's foundations being complemented by Ranieri's tweaks at Leicester is an interesting one too. 

Only other thing I'd add on culture and personalities which he didn't touch on was around Pearson's ability to frame challenges as 'opportunities'. If we had a poor run of form under Johnson it wasn't uncommon for him to tell Radio Bristol that the next game was a "must win" or he would be going back to "players he could trust". These are statements that can provoke nerves and poor performance. Whereas with Pearson it's noticeable that he uses phrases like 'opportunity to put it right' or 'opportunity to build on good form'. A small difference but it ensures everyone in the club is accountable for performances and their roles within that, and reduces feelings of nerves by focusing on the getting the processes right to take that opportunity, rather than pilling on the pressure to get a desired result (probably another reason why we fans are happy despite finishing lower half of the table).

These two paragraphs explain perfectly why I refer to Nige as a ‘proper’ manager. He’s far more all encompassing  in his managerial  role than both the Johnsons - and, dare I say it…..more so than Danny Wilson.

I genuinely think that we’re lucky to have him.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Why not open an account? It’s simple and you don’t have to comment on anything, just read what you think is relevant to you. It’s no different in that respect to being here. Best to avoid anything political though!

I wouldn’t know how to tweet so no danger of any political debate!

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

These two paragraphs explain perfectly why I refer to Nige as a ‘proper’ manager. He’s far more all encompassing  in his managerial  role than both the Johnsons - and, dare I say it…..more so than Danny Wilson.

You compare Pearson to Wilson a lot.   You do get he never managed us in the Championship don’t you?   It’s just not a fair comparison so why keep doing it? 

29 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Like most things, it ain't rocket science (although the science of this i find interesting).

It just comes down to creating an environment - wherever you work - of trust, belief and respect. It's there in Pearson's recent interview with The Athletic.

Pearson has created an environment where the players will run through brick walls - for him, for the team and, thus, for us. Because they trust him, believe in him, he commands their respect. 

Do players similarly trust Lee Johnson, believe in him, respect him? Do they ****, given enough time. 

You reap what you so. 

Pearson would be a great leader whatever job he had. 

Absolutely nailed it with this post. Applies in the commercial/corporate world just as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He does some of his stuff on Youtube, this isn't up yet but you could keep an eye out.

51 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

His theory of Pearson's foundations being complemented by Ranieri's tweaks at Leicester is an interesting one too. 

Not the first time I've heard that or similar.

One bit I found interesting was how Johnson controlled everything, then when things went wrong there was no one on the pitch to stand up. I seem to remember one of the first things he mentioned was getting players to take responsibility on the pitch.
I find Pearson a breath of fresh air compared to LJ. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just about to listen, but I follow this bloke, he’s bloody brilliant.  Seen some tweets of his on characters like Cotterill…and he breaks them down so well, you understand why they are like they are.

Just found the Youtube channel, I'll have a look through later , they are very listenable .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m tired of explaining Len and so is everyone else.

What needs to be explained? Wilson was a manager who tried and failed to get us out of the third tier, Pearson is managing us in the second tier trying to build a squad to mount an assault at the play-offs to get us into the Premier league.. what is the comparison? 

• Like 1
  • Flames 3

I’m not on Twitter either, so sympathise. It’s got more and more erratic what you can and can’t see recently.

In this instance, I can see a still from the video and just click that and it’s fine.

But I know that somethings these links end up as just that - a link, and then it doesn’t work. But quite often the post on here has graphic one day and not the next.

So it’s worth checking again - worth persisting: it’s an interesting listen.

• Like 1

One big factor that wasn't mentioned was the overhaul of personnel. There have been some very notable outgoings, both playing staff and off-field staff.

Then he brought in his cultural leaders in James, King and Simpson. 

In the beginning everything was against Nige, including his own health, but he also lucked out with the emergence of some fantastic young talent, and some decent scouting.

I think this is all essential to the story, but perhaps the video is more about management style than events.

What I would say though is that the homegrown profile of the squad is a big factor in the current enthusiasm amongst our fanbase, not just the turnaround in attitude.

• Like 7

As much as you get on my baps sometimes just being you and your obsession with Danny Wilson (and let’s be fair GJ)you are right in this and a couple of other instances recently

We are lucky to have him. I don’t have any confidence that there was anyone else able to unpick “juniors” mess Without relegation. 

As for the bloke who gave the critique. Nice job. There are a few that still can’t wait for things to go wrong on this forum, but wherever it goes from now the achievements are remarkable.

Maybe just maybe having to bumble through the Johnson years was what was required for a brighter future. 

COYRs

• Like 1

Unfortunately he hasn’t got his facts right. He refers to us scoring lots of last-minute goals whereas the late goal at Millwall was an exception. The reality is that we concede many late goals and regularly drop points from a winning position. This is hardly indicative of the resilience that he talks about.