IGNORED

Looking at City & Pearson from outside.

pl00peh91

Interesting watch, agreed with the bulk. NP pretty modern certainly tactically IMO.

Nice to see a proper perspective from an outside view.  The number of idiot or lazy neutral fans etc who think he is a dinosaur etc is quite unbelievable.

I maintain he could match or better a good number of managers in the top third Championship, bottom third PL. Some of the appointments are far less experienced and or credible.

Agree 4 or 5 years in if still here is when we should see the best.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chinapig said:

No but as a promising young analyst they may offer Dave an unpaid internship.?

Sorry, did you say “young”? That makes me feel good ? …..I do wonder if the club have additional data sources which they might permission to the likes of Mr Fevs though, kind of quid pro quo really … 

It's funny that he says everyone outside of Bristol City doesn't get it. All my mates do not support City and all of them think NP has overstayed his welcome and think we could get a better Manager in. 

They fail to understand or refuse to look into the comings and going of Bristol City for the last 15 years or so. Short termism, after short termism, success and failure not being far away. We have usually always been a side who is in a relegation battle in this League and for once we seem stable and are looking up long term instead of down. Maybe some look at Luton or Brentford and go 'Why cant City do that?' We can, but we need steady progress (Much like Brentford and Brighton endured). 

Maybe some people want him out at City (non City fans) because they know what NP can build long term.

He's what this club have needed for absolute years and we will reap the rewards of his tenure, there is no doubt about that. The club is in a FAR better place than it was in February 2021.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Job for @Davefevs in the offing at the club then ??

Nah.  Nothing like that was discussed.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

No but as a promising young analyst they may offer Dave an unpaid internship.?

I wonder whether he expected to see a 53-year-old sat outside the cafe or someone younger!

57 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That is old school. TBF , he has been given the time needed to , not only sort out the mess left by Previous regimes , but to lay those foundations. In that respect it is old school as you don't often get that time, which in turn can mean (like Chris Hughton apparently wanted to do) buying in a whole new squad and buying "your" team. Nige has been afforded the time to get the behind the scenes right while slowly changing the mindset and culture of the Club. Old School.

I think Pearson has alluded to that himself. From Sky Sports last Novemeber ;

Pearson admitted that he would like a maverick-type player in his squad. At Leicester City he had Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez, who were able to change games on their own and played with a swagger and confidence.

This was when we were looking at signing Reda Khadra , but I think it can be levelled at Mehmeti and some of the recent names we have been linked with. Of course they have to still fit into the team framework , that's why I imagine he was gutted at losing Scott , the perfect example of team player / maverick IMO. 

I guess I was mainly referencing old-skool as it’s often used negatively, like dinosaur is.  Experienced is a better word.  Nige has experience to fall back on to know what to do.

38 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Sorry, did you say “young”? That makes me feel good ? …..I do wonder if the club have additional data sources which they might permission to the likes of Mr Fevs though, kind of quid pro quo really … 

There was no offer unfortunately.

Dave was very complimentary of some of my stuff, and said some of it is has been used in team / player debriefs.  It goes back to that comment I made earlier about pro football being insular and sometimes getting an outside / different view is useful.  He said the fact that it seems to be objective, backed up by data (video / pics) is helpful to them.

He wanted to keep communication channels open, and he read by pre-season tactical review.  Had some nice comments back, but he said he was disappointed I thought they’d finish 10th ?.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess I was mainly referencing old-skool as it’s often used negatively, like dinosaur is.  Experienced is a better word.  Nige has experience to fall back on to know what to do.

Oh I agree mate.

There is old school, as in values , standards and experience, then there is Dinosaur .

He is one and far from the other.

• Like 3

On the chaos theory……presumably referring to the next stage of the teams evolution once the cultures right (which it looks like we’ve now achieved) ….is a tactical shift necessary? Or is the fact the we’re fit enough to do what we do through the whole game effectively plan B for now (keep doing it and it will eventually work). Do we need a plan B? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

On the chaos theory……presumably referring to the next stage of the teams evolution once the cultures right (which it looks like we’ve now achieved) ….is a tactical shift necessary? Or is the fact the we’re fit enough to do what we do through the whole game effectively plan B for now (keep doing it and it will eventually work). Do we need a plan B? 

Worth a watch of today’s media interview.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nah.  Nothing like that was discussed.

I wonder whether he expected to see a 53-year-old sat outside the cafe or someone younger!

There was no offer unfortunately.

Dave was very complimentary of some of my stuff, and said some of it is has been used in team / player debriefs.  It goes back to that comment I made earlier about pro football being insular and sometimes getting an outside / different view is useful.  He said the fact that it seems to be objective, backed up by data (video / pics) is helpful to them.

He wanted to keep communication channels open, and he read by pre-season tactical review.  Had some nice comments back, but he said he was disappointed I thought they’d finish 10th ?.

What a buzz it must have been for you to get those comments Dave and indeed the meeting. And as you say really pleasing for the club to be looking outside the club for any help.

I’ve often looked at your interpretations of those data/stats on your twitter account and hoped somebody from the club was watching.

I presume you knew people from the club were looking at it? Now you know it’s been used for debriefs etc does this add to the pressure when you do it now? Not that they can sack you if they disagree ?

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

What a buzz it must have been for you to get those comments Dave and indeed the meeting. And as you say really pleasing for the club to be looking outside the club for any help.

I’ve often looked at your interpretations of those data/stats on your twitter account and hoped somebody from the club was watching.

I presume you knew people from the club were looking at it? Now you know it’s been used for debriefs etc does this add to the pressure when you do it now? Not that they can sack you if they disagree ?

It was Ralph.  Thanks.

I did hear from a poster on here that a couple of players liked what I put on twitter as it tended not to be knee-jerk stuff, but well presented / objective, but a bit of a shock when I got a DM from DR.

I don’t feel any pressure, I post what I see from watching (hence why I take screenshots of shape from RTV or take photos at AG.  I add my blobs afterwards.  If I can find data / video to back it up, great.  It’s rarely data first.  Sometimes the data doesn’t, so it helps me question my own thoughts.  I then put stuff out as my thoughts.  I’m not a pro, ex-pro, or a coach…so I’m happy whatever feedback I get.  If I’ve got something wrong I can learn from it.  I learn from others on here too, there are some great posters.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Interesting video. Agree with a lot of the discussion re culture, but it does feel as though he's missed a few details in terms of our actual performances, our financial situation, and the stance of the Lansdowns.

I found this comment towards the end interesting: "I don't think they're a club that wants to go too modern, I don't think the owners want to go too modern, and I don't think Person is a modern manager, but I still think there's a lot of value in the values that he brings to the club."

I wonder what exactly he meant by that? I'm confident it's not intended as a criticism of Pearson, but it does feel like a bit of a criticism of the club in general (not that I think he's necessarily wrong).

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It was Ralph.  Thanks.

I did hear from a poster on here that a couple of players liked what I put on twitter as it tended not to be knee-jerk stuff, but well presented / objective, but a bit of a shock when I got a DM from DR.

I don’t feel any pressure, I post what I see from watching (hence why I take screenshots of shape from RTV or take photos at AG.  I add my blobs afterwards.  If I can find data / video to back it up, great.  It’s rarely data first.  Sometimes the data doesn’t, so it helps me question my own thoughts.  I then put stuff out as my thoughts.  I’m not a pro, ex-pro, or a coach…so I’m happy whatever feedback I get.  If I’ve got something wrong I can learn from it.  I learn from others on here too, there are some great posters.

Would love to hear the players' views on Mark Carter!

I do have a dream that should we be promoted under Pearson, the players, manager, and social media team collaborate to thoroughly mock him.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It was Ralph.  Thanks.

I rely on you to help me through the post match , I tend to read a review and watch highlights while waiting for your take on things. I'm quite often getting to the game after a couple of hours in the Pub, so I have been known to miss the nuances of games . 

12 hours ago, 2015 said:

It's funny that he says everyone outside of Bristol City doesn't get it. All my mates do not support City and all of them think NP has overstayed his welcome and think we could get a better Manager in. 

They fail to understand or refuse to look into the comings and going of Bristol City for the last 15 years or so. Short termism, after short termism, success and failure not being far away. We have usually always been a side who is in a relegation battle in this League and for once we seem stable and are looking up long term instead of down. Maybe some look at Luton or Brentford and go 'Why cant City do that?' We can, but we need steady progress (Much like Brentford and Brighton endured). 

Maybe some people want him out at City (non City fans) because they know what NP can build long term.

He's what this club have needed for absolute years and we will reap the rewards of his tenure, there is no doubt about that. The club is in a FAR better place than it was in February 2021.

Well, apart from the people you mentioned in the previous paragraph ?

Late goals for and against last season….

Away at Hull conceded 93rd  minute - 1 point

Away at Wycombe 77 and 93 minutes - through to the next round of the Carabao Cup

Away at Blackpool conceded 90th minute - 2 points

Away at Blackburn Rovers 93rd minute

Away at Norwich 77th minute

Home to PNE conceded in 82 scored in 90 + 2 points

Home to Millwall conceded on 76 -1 point

Away to Reading conceded in 93

Home to Swansea conceded 75 - 2 points

Home to Lincoln 80 minute

Home to Swansea 75 minute - kept us in the FA Cup

Home to Birmingham 76 minute

Away to Swansea 112 minute - put us into the fourth round of the FA Cup

Away to Sunderland 93 minute + 1 point

Home to Blackpool 81 minute

Away to Stoke 85 minute + 2 points

Away to Sheffield United 76 minute - 2 points

Home to Rotherham United 91 minute + 2 points

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I really like these interviews/previews , he looks very relaxed lately , and even though he knocked the guy back about Benarous it gave a chance for him to explain where the kid is at. 

I did mention last week that Jordan Jones question to Fleming last week re an Ayman loan was very loaded, and I thought Curtis was courteous in his answer…and that I thought it wasn’t as simple as sending him out on loan.  I thought Nige’s answer was spot on, and shows how he puts a lot of thought into what happens with his players.

23 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

After 3 years I’ve finally worked out the best way to listen to a Pearson press conference. Always loved the content but he talks so slowly……..1.5x speed!  Boom, perfect

The rumour is he talks really fast normally….so you’ve probably heard what he’s really like…like Pinky and Percy / Pearson!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I did mention last week that Jordan Jones question to Fleming last week re an Ayman loan was very loaded, and I thought Curtis was courteous in his answer…and that I thought it wasn’t as simple as sending him out on loan.  I thought Nige’s answer was spot on, and shows how he puts a lot of thought into what happens with his players.

It has been very noticeable under Pearson the care (aftercare) they take with players. It may have been results pressure , but under Holden rushing Williams back put him back months, LJ played Duric when he had been lined up for an Op. From a fans , simplistic POV, he's training so he's fit, he's fit so he's ready to play, not ready for first team send him on loan. With Pearson he explains in a way that makes it easy to follow.
He does seem much more studied and deliberate in his replies than when he first came in. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Worth a watch of today’s media interview.

Yep definitely an interesting listen cheers, I think it’s broadly how I see things ….(the foundations are built in terms of the intangible things like mentality, team spirit etc+ level of fitness etc..) and taking it up a notch is now more about executing in the moment in games more positively. That might be things like taking on a man in the wider areas, delivering a better cross or taking the ball on the half turn in the centre rather the simple ball back to a CB. Maybe there’s no need for a plan B in terms of a different style , or player (eg chuck on the big target man) if it’s not going well in a game, more a belief that our way of playing will work over the 90 mins. 

• Like 2