IGNORED

1909 FA Cup Final

Offside

1 hour ago, 22A said:

That was 1909, but in 1902 the pitch markings were different as seen here.

image.png.e7360487cc4a728f3a28e86c9097e409.png

This is the 1902 F.A. Cup final-replay between Sheffield United and Southampton, at Crystal Palace. It was the last final to be played with Victorian pitch markings...The six-yard-box, we know today, consisted of two semi-circles. Penalties were taken from anywhere along the solid white 12-yard line. The remaining players had to stand behind the intermittent white line as the kick was taken.
Here is Billy Barnes scoring the winning goal, in a 2-1 victory, for Sheffield United (Att: 33,068)

Thanks. Interesting how pitch markings change.

And 2023 saw the introduction of the random big black circle on one side! 

Edited by italian dave
  • Haha 1

Growing up during the 1970’s I recall periodic Points West stories along the lines of ‘clearing out grandads house and found a 1909 programme in a drawer and now it will auction for hundreds as it was United’s first final and some of fans have a lot of money etc’. ( I’m not a programme expert but I think there were several versions and the glossy one goes for big money.) As an aside, my g grandfather also died at Arras- I gather the North Somerset Yeomanry were involved and shelled badly.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I went to the brilliant National Museum of Football in Manchester last month, and one of the items on display is an actual Man United shirt from that 1909 FA Cup Final.

IMG_20230924_150545.jpg

As well as this interesting football programme...

IMG_20230924_151320.jpg

It's a good museum to visit. 

Here's a pic of an original 1909 City shirt from the final. Sold for £13k. Open to correction but I was told Scott Davidson bought it. 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi2-prod.bristolpost.co.uk%2Fincoming%2Farticle35411.ece%2FALTERNATES%2Fs1200c%2F583.jpg&tbnid=QV0W91u6EoAfkM&vet=1&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bristolpost.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Frare-bristol-city-blue-shirt-62656&docid=yzml9bdmwiUajM&w=1200&h=1200&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim%2Fm4%2F2

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

My grandad travelled up for this match but was unable to get in. Allegedy climbed a wall and could see part of the pitch so watched the game from the wall. Just wish he'd got me a programme.  

One set a world record £23,500. 

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2012-05-15/bristol-city-programme-could-fetch-20-000

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Wow, amazing! What's with the playing in blue? 🤣

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

What's with the playing in blue? 🤣

Yes, we'd already played them twice in the League that season with no problems over a colour clash but it was the first time both teams chose to wear special jerseys to mark an FA Cup Final and the first time both teams wore their club crest to mark the occasion. 

But there's absolutely no need to be concerned about the colour.

In 1909, dark blue was in no way associated with professional football in Bristol.

In fact, the only team to have ever worn the colour was City, or more precisely, Bristol South End, who wore red shirts and dark blue shorts and socks on being formed in 1894 (becoming red and white in 1897 when changing name to Bristol City). 

1897 was also the year ragass rovers first played at eastville. This was already their 4th ground - 4th!

"To rove" is a verb meaning to wander, to travel constantly. Couldn't be more appropriate! They are travellers - and all the connotations that word carries, apply beautifully to them too. 

Whilst we had been a Football League club for nearly a decade by the time we reached the FA Cup Final, ragass rovers were still a non-league non-entity.

By then, they'd also had more kits than home grounds! And none of them dark blue.

They'd tried all black, a black and white Derby, a black and white Newcastle, a pale QPR, a green and yellow Newton Heath. A lot of black in there, for the black sheep of Bristol football. They didn't settle on their dark blue clown's kit until the 1930s, around the time they first tried to sell Eastville. In the 1980s they finally succeeded of course, taking to the road once again on their travels, pitiful support in tow. The Blue Few indeed.

But in 1909, dark blue had no connections to any professional football team in Bristol. It was, in fact, our nod to the colours of Bristol South End.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

On 18/08/2023 at 11:24, spudski said:

That's a good spot. Definitely badges on those shirts, so that will help the chaps narrow down the year on the badge. 

I also noted whilst going down a rabbit hole, a few photographs of City team photos online, from pre 1905 of us wearing white shirts. 

Seems White shirts was our away colour back then. 

White shirts our alternative kit when I first followed in 1950s

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes, we'd already played them twice in the League that season with no problems over a colour clash but it was the first time both teams chose to wear special jerseys to mark an FA Cup Final and the first time both teams wore their club crest to mark the occasion. 

But there's absolutely no need to be concerned about the colour.

In 1909, dark blue was in no way associated with professional football in Bristol.

In fact, the only team to have ever worn the colour was City, or more precisely, Bristol South End, who wore red shirts and dark blue shorts and socks on being formed in 1894 (becoming red and white in 1897 when changing name to Bristol City). 

1897 was also the year ragass rovers first played at eastville. This was already their 4th ground - 4th!

"To rove" is a verb meaning to wander, to travel constantly. Couldn't be more appropriate! They are travellers - and all the connotations that word carries, apply beautifully to them too. 

Whilst we had been a Football League club for nearly a decade by the time we reached the FA Cup Final, ragass rovers were still a non-league non-entity.

By then, they'd also had more kits than home grounds! And none of them dark blue.

They'd tried all black, a black and white Derby, a black and white Newcastle, a pale QPR, a green and yellow Newton Heath. A lot of black in there, for the black sheep of Bristol football. They didn't settle on their dark blue clown's kit until the 1930s, around the time they first tried to sell Eastville. In the 1980s they finally succeeded of course, taking to the road once again on their travels, pitiful support in tow. The Blue Few indeed.

But in 1909, dark blue had no connections to any professional football team in Bristol. It was, in fact, our nod to the colours of Bristol South End.  

I'm probably in the minority but would love to see a remake of the red with blue shorts - or even the blue away kit for the cup final

15 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Not alone, but think the opportunity has been missed. The 100th anniversary would’ve made sense, but we’ve well passed that now.

Yes, that's a good point.

Unfortunately, the people in charge in 2009 probably didn't even know we'd played in an FA Cup final.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I'm probably in the minority but would love to see a remake of the red with blue shorts - or even the blue away kit for the cup final

I found this old photo a few years ago. Not too sure which year it was. White top and shorts with red socks. That could be a nice comeback for a final! I expect the white shirt would be worth alot of money now. I'll have to have a look in my attic:laugh:416718391_00RScott-FamousFootballTeams-Spurs-BrCity-002a.jpg.5b5620668c323cdd44d0a01d67dcd09f.jpg

On 16/08/2023 at 21:27, Offside said:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I’ve just seen this colourised picture on fb. Fascinating. I think it’s Billy Wedlock who is standing on the 6 yard line. 

IMG_7514.jpeg

My great grandad went to the game as I am sure many other relatives of posters on here did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T R said:

I found this old photo a few years ago. Not too sure which year it was. White top and shorts with red socks. That could be a nice comeback for a final! I expect the white shirt would be worth alot of money now. I'll have to have a look in my attic:laugh:416718391_00RScott-FamousFootballTeams-Spurs-BrCity-002a.jpg.5b5620668c323cdd44d0a01d67dcd09f.jpg

Blimey, great photo. Thanks for sharing. Don't think I've seen this before - a very early Bristol City team, late 1890s, so not long after the name change from Bristol South End in 1897. 

1899-1900 I reckon actually. Fantastic.  

Our first England international (1901) - Billy Jones - is sat next to the fella with the ball. After he finished playing, Jones ran the Barley Mow pub - an establishment that hasn't changed much in the interim! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, T R said:

17 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Blimey, great photo. Thanks for sharing. Don't think I've seen this before - a very early Bristol City team, late 1890s, so not long after the name change from Bristol South End in 1897. 

1899-1900 I reckon actually. Fantastic.  

Our first England international (1901) - Billy Jones - is sat next to the fella with the ball. After he finished playing, Jones ran the Barley Mow pub - an establishment that hasn't changed much in the interim! 

Looks like. Just Googled a few names and I think you're spot on.

A year before merging with Bedminster.

Screenshot2023-11-06at18_06_12.png.50a13af964629412850626fd6a5cce46.png